Survival Bushcraft - What are you carrying and why ?

I'm running 2 different packs/kits. One utilizes an Ontario SP45 with a Leatherman Surge in a front pouch, Mora 2000 backup and a CS Rifleman's Hawk. The 2nd pack carries an Ontario Kukri, a Becker BK15 with Victorinox Swisschamp in pocket and a CS Pipehawk. Becker and both Hawks are modded heavy. I add and substitute alot just for the sake of using cool new stuff lol but that's how they sit right now. I always go for a chopper, a medium fixed blade , a multi tool and a Hawk or camp hatchet and I always have my edc folder on me as well.

Just shipped this set.... about ideal survival set by my standards... mine is similar but with a 7 inch blade. Don't have a pic on my phone.

Attachments

• 11401443_715971638532472_7602798796326036551_n.jpg
    11401443_715971638532472_7602798796326036551_n.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 70
I'm running 2 different packs/kits. One utilizes an Ontario SP45 with a Leatherman Surge in a front pouch, Mora 2000 backup and a CS Rifleman's Hawk. The 2nd pack carries an Ontario Kukri, a Becker BK15 with Victorinox Swisschamp in pocket and a CS Pipehawk. Becker and both Hawks are modded heavy. I add and substitute alot just for the sake of using cool new stuff lol but that's how they sit right now. I always go for a chopper, a medium fixed blade , a multi tool and a Hawk or camp hatchet and I always have my edc folder on me as well.

Dude...photos please [emoji4]

I really like my Wetterlings bushcrafter axe and Benchmade Bushcrafter (with kydex sheath) combo. (90% of the time that I go to the bush that's what goes with me. (plus maybe a sebenza, I can't seem to go anywhere without one ;) )

Why is everyone obsessed with batoning? Get an axe, put it in your bergen/ruck. If you KNOW you're going to be constantly splitting logs, get a freaking axe. Enough of the batoning already.

For what it's worth, answering the OP's question, I carry a KA BAR Extreme D2, an Estwing Sportsmans Axe, a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto (CTS XHP) and an original basic Leatherman. All bases covered.

Why is everyone obsessed with batoning? Get an axe, put it in your bergen/ruck. If you KNOW you're going to be constantly splitting logs, get a freaking axe. Enough of the batoning already.

What about Batoning with an axe?

[video=youtube;hOMxnWPgUlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMxnWPgUlk[/video]

Why would anyone carry a heavy axe that's less precise, needs more space to be swung when a knife will cut larger diameter logs easier, quicker with more precision and more safety?

Axes are great for homesteading but I rarely see one used for "bushcraft" and have never over several decades ever seen anyone with one on a trail. The (some) knives aren't made to baton is purely an Internet phenomenon perpetuated by those who tried it without being taught or learning how to do it right or read it on the always true to fact Internet and repeats it. Cub scouts and Boy Scouts taught it back in my day. Military survival training taught it several decades later. The real question is where are people learning knives can't or shouldn't be used to baton with and how on earth a heavier less precise less safe takes up more room axe is somehow better? Other than homesteading where trees will be felled.

I like to baton with a knife, it's enjoying to split small timber with a smaller tool.

I personally feel its because batoning is a MUCH easier skill to learn than proper axe use is. So since people learn an easier skill they will try to justify why its better when the simple truth is no knife will EVER match a good boys axe. While I do baton every now and again I don't ever kid myself that batoning a knife is more effective than an axe. Then again for most of America you don't need an axe or to baton a knife. Also if batoning is what someone else enjoys doing then more power to them as long as they are enjoying themselves who am I to tell them what to do.

Most of the batoning could be better handled with a small hatchet. But it actually takes more skill to use a hatchet safely and people are lacking in skills overall. I have nothing against batoning. I just don't see it as necessary except in an odd circumstance. In all honesty, I don't normally carry a hatchet in the woods, but with the same honesty, I seldom need to baton anything either.

That is why I chose the Blackjack 125 and said a BK-15 or BK-16 might be a better choice for me in a true survival situation simply because I might have to baton or cut something that I normally would not attempt to cut with a knife. So, the BK's are tougher and easier to sharpen. A comment was made over on the Becker Forum about Becker knives being "industrial".... I have to agree and I have no hesitation using one and rubbing off some of the painted finish in the process.

I have not figures out how to get my photos from my phone or Google account to this forum get, using my phone. Any ideas? I really want to share photos

You need to download an app onto your phone called "Photobucket".
Then when you take a photo on your phone you just upload it to the app which essentially hosts the photo online for you and you can then copy the link from the photo, which you cut and paste into your posts.

"Voila" you got photos which are so much more helpful in learning from [emoji4]

Let me know how you get on.

You need to download an app onto your phone called "Photobucket".
Then when you take a photo on your phone you just upload it to the app which essentially hosts the photo online for you and you can then copy the link from the photo, which you cut and paste into your posts.

"Voila" you got photos which are so much more helpful in learning from [emoji4]

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks, I will so that this evening and give it a shot. I'm technology illiterate lol

Why do you need 2 of the same big knife on your pack?KV
Just wondering what you are using for a long term survival/wilderness/bushcrafting survival scenario?

What is your preference and rationale for your choice of large fixed blade, tomahawk, hatchet, etc ?

Just picked up these two RTAK II by Ontario Blade Company to molle onto the ILBE to complete the load out.

To me they are suitable for an excellent range of duties and worth the extra weight.

Why do you need 2 of the same big knife on your pack?KV

2 knives for 2 people and 2 ILBE packs.
In the past I was heavily into Underwater Cave Exploration. Penetration Diving where we utilised a Military approach where all equipment was identical and your buddy's equipment was your backup.

This mindset still dominates my reality.

Why would anyone carry a heavy axe that's less precise, needs more space to be swung when a knife will cut larger diameter logs easier, quicker with more precision and more safety?

Axes are great for homesteading but I rarely see one used for "bushcraft" and have never over several decades ever seen anyone with one on a trail. The (some) knives aren't made to baton is purely an Internet phenomenon perpetuated by those who tried it without being taught or learning how to do it right or read it on the always true to fact Internet and repeats it. Cub scouts and Boy Scouts taught it back in my day. Military survival training taught it several decades later. The real question is where are people learning knives can't or shouldn't be used to baton with and how on earth a heavier less precise less safe takes up more room axe is somehow better? Other than homesteading where trees will be felled.

I'm sure its fine in north america where even hardwood is soft......try it on our subtropical seasoned hardwood...... not such a great idea......wood is like iron. Fibrous knotty iron. You'd only do it if you didn't care for your knife or it had one of those lifetime warranty's

And unless you were in a specific type of terrain.....you wouldn't need to baton.....as the trees here drop kindling everywhere and the leaves are extremely flammable.

my usual carry for this type of activity consists in three cutting tools.
a hatchet, a mora robust, and a victorinox folder.
a sharp hatchet does most of the jobs well and I wouldn't replace it with a large fixed blade which is more prone to break under heavy use.

I'm sure its fine in north america where even hardwood is soft......try it on our subtropical seasoned hardwood...... not such a great idea......wood is like iron. Fibrous knotty iron. You'd only do it if you didn't care for your knife or it had one of those lifetime warranty's

And unless you were in a specific type of terrain.....you wouldn't need to baton.....as the trees here drop kindling everywhere and the leaves are extremely flammable.

One must first assume I have only batoned wood in North America. I have used a flimsy Glock knife around the world to baton local trees that were much more dense than my local trees, so I know what you are talking about. As long as you follow the rules the steel will always be more dense than the wood. Anyone who breaks a blade on your local wood would break one on our poplar up here, yup, I have seen it done.

I would modify your one statement from terrain to situation. If you are in a specific type of situation........you might need to baton.

So your points are as follows,

I don't need an axe in my environment. (I agree. :))
I don't need an axe in your environment. (I'll take your word for it.)

Back