Survival Bushcraft - What are you carrying and why ?

Why would anyone carry a heavy axe that's less precise, needs more space to be swung when a knife will cut larger diameter logs easier, quicker with more precision and more safety?

Axes are great for homesteading but I rarely see one used for "bushcraft" and have never over several decades ever seen anyone with one on a trail. The (some) knives aren't made to baton is purely an Internet phenomenon perpetuated by those who tried it without being taught or learning how to do it right or read it on the always true to fact Internet and repeats it. Cub scouts and Boy Scouts taught it back in my day. Military survival training taught it several decades later. The real question is where are people learning knives can't or shouldn't be used to baton with and how on earth a heavier less precise less safe takes up more room axe is somehow better? Other than homesteading where trees will be felled.

It is less precise........... at first. After a year of using mine, I don't really ever miss my mark any more. With time, I was able to split 10-12 inch diameter, 1-2 foot long logs with 1 swing. Granted, these are dried, but my axe is only 26 inched. I chop kneeling down, usually. I can split wood much faster, and with much less energy, with an axe. I do baton, but it is only logs 2 inches diameter or less. I haven't timed it, but I'd bet a beer that I can process the same amount of wood with a bucksaw, axe, and knife, in 1/6th the time I could with just a knife. and that's taking it from fallen log, to fully prepped fire materials, kindling and feathersticks included. It's more weight, but with these tools, I can forgo a tent if I want, because shelter building is so much easier. They are awkward to carry due to size, but with the right pack selection, they can be worked in easily.

I used to subscribe to the "big knife/one tool" philosophy, but once I incorporated the saw, the axe was a natural progression. It just makes processing wood so much easier and faster. I burn less calories, save time, and usually end up with better results. I'll take 6.25 extra lbs of tools for that trade off any day.

It is less precise........... at first. After a year of using mine, I don't really ever miss my mark any more. With time, I was able to split 10-12 inch diameter, 1-2 foot long logs with 1 swing. Granted, these are dried, but my axe is only 26 inched. I chop kneeling down, usually. I can split wood much faster, and with much less energy, with an axe. I do baton, but it is only logs 2 inches diameter or less. I haven't timed it, but I'd bet a beer that I can process the same amount of wood with a bucksaw, axe, and knife, in 1/6th the time I could with just a knife. and that's taking it from fallen log, to fully prepped fire materials, kindling and feathersticks included. It's more weight, but with these tools, I can forgo a tent if I want, because shelter building is so much easier. They are awkward to carry due to size, but with the right pack selection, they can be worked in easily.

I used to subscribe to the "big knife/one tool" philosophy, but once I incorporated the saw, the axe was a natural progression. It just makes processing wood so much easier and faster. I burn less calories, save time, and usually end up with better results. I'll take 6.25 extra lbs of tools for that trade off any day.

For bush craft I used to carry a carpenter's hatchet and a smaller knife [very much like the knife in this pic but not quite identical]:

images

but I ended up not carrying that in favor of batonning with my CS Trail Master Bowie. I prefered that to swinging an axe or a hatchet but admittedly, I have been thinking about getting a conventional styled Tomahawk just to see if I like that more than a hatchet. I probably won't but I'll never know until I try it.

Leatherman Wave
Skookum Bush Tool MK.1 in 3V
Silky Pocketboy
Fiskars X7

20150709_0112261_zpsfgor9h8q.jpg

I currently carry a Condor Final Frontier, a Leatherman Super Tool 300, a Leatherman Micra, a 4" fire-steel with a firecord lanyard, and a brass slow-match.
The knife goes in one sheath and everything else goes in a separate sheath. The Super Tool is used for sawing, scraping, striking the fire-steel using the awl, and generally grabbing things that I don't want to touch with bare hands (cactus pads for the most part).

Why would anyone carry a heavy axe that's less precise, needs more space to be swung when a knife will cut larger diameter logs easier, quicker with more precision and more safety?

Axes are great for homesteading but I rarely see one used for "bushcraft" and have never over several decades ever seen anyone with one on a trail. The (some) knives aren't made to baton is purely an Internet phenomenon perpetuated by those who tried it without being taught or learning how to do it right or read it on the always true to fact Internet and repeats it. Cub scouts and Boy Scouts taught it back in my day. Military survival training taught it several decades later. The real question is where are people learning knives can't or shouldn't be used to baton with and how on earth a heavier less precise less safe takes up more room axe is somehow better? Other than homesteading where trees will be felled.

I have a lightweight Gerber hatchet, long handle version, because it was the only hatchet I ever saw that had the handle wrap around the head, not the other way around... Every well-used wood handle hatchet I ever saw had at least some head wobble... Makes you real confident when the two pound head is about to fly off... And people worry about hollow handle knives breaking!?!

Even that lightweight Gerber hatchet feels accident prone because it is so heavy to one side... No head wobble though, I'll admit. It does work, but sometimes it bounces unexpectedly, especially when used high off the ground... If I had to carry that in the woods, I'd rather stay home. Used with safety in mind, I doubt it chops much faster than the better knives...

Gaston

At any given time...

L.T. Wright Competition Chopper
BK 7
HB Forge Tomahawk
SAK
GB Hunter's Axe
BK 9
Large French Trade Knife by Corum Knives

I have a lightweight Gerber hatchet, long handle version, because it was the only hatchet I ever saw that had the handle wrap around the head, not the other way around... Every well-used wood handle hatchet I ever saw had at least some head wobble... Makes you real confident when the two pound head is about to fly off... And people worry about hollow handle knives breaking!?!

Even that lightweight Gerber hatchet feels accident prone because it is so heavy to one side... No head wobble though, I'll admit. It does work, but sometimes it bounces unexpectedly, especially when used high off the ground... If I had to carry that in the woods, I'd rather stay home. Used with safety in mind, I doubt it chops much faster than the better knives...

Gaston

It only feels "accident prone" because you haven't used it enough. Axe handling is a skill, the same as knife handling is a skill. The skills are different and not much transfers between the two.

Skill with an axe or hatchet takes time to build and is perishable if not often used.
If you are uncomfortable using an axe or a hatchet, by all means, leave it at home.

Small Folder: Vic Alox Farmer
Saw: Silky Saw Pocketboy or Gomboy or Opinel #18 saw
Axe: Gransfors Bruks Outdoor or Wildlife hatchet
Knife: Spyderco Bushcraft UK or BRKT Gunny 3V Clip Point Scandivex or Fallkniven S1 or other options
Large Knife: Fallkniven A1 or BK7 or Big Chris Camp or other options
Machete: Fiddleback Forge 12" or 16" or 18"

That is my current go to roster although I have many alternatives particularly in the knife categories. I may only be carrying 2 of the above categories depending on where I am and have never carried more than 3. I'm not going to be carrying a hatchet, large knife and a machete, typically just one and as much as I love hatchets but rarely find that I actually need one. I've been trending towards lightweight options and often go with a Vic Farmer, Silky Pocketboy and a single fixed blade of 4-5" blade length.

I always bring my hatchet.I feel in my opinion its a great tool and the one i have with a hickory handle and a 1 and 1\4 pound head is worth the weight.IT does a lot of things for me.From braking down kindling to chopping larger stuff to a smaller size.In a pinch it could fell some small trees i mean small ,for a ridge pole for a shelter or something like that.Plus im always using the back as a hammer.I find i us it that way alot for tent stakes and things i find the need for a hammer alot.I love my little hatchet that and almost any knife i own and id be pretty well set.It takes a hell of an edge to i bet you could field dress with it in a pinch if you had no choice.just my opinion though.

I always bring my hatchet.I feel in my opinion its a great tool and the one i have with a hickory handle and a 1 and 1\4 pound head is worth the weight.IT does a lot of things for me.From braking down kindling to chopping larger stuff to a smaller size.In a pinch it could fell some small trees i mean small ,for a ridge pole for a shelter or something like that.Plus im always using the back as a hammer.I find i us it that way alot for tent stakes and things i find the need for a hammer alot.I love my little hatchet that and almost any knife i own and id be pretty well set.It takes a hell of an edge to i bet you could field dress with it in a pinch if you had no choice.just my opinion though.
Let's see some photos of that bad boy!

I picked up an Esee 6 and a Tops BOB , those two should serve me quite well during the camping and hiking trips this summer and early fall.

Look at the frontiersmen and natives, what do they carry? A knife, a tomahawk and a rifle.

I don't really go into the woods very often but when I have to, those would be what I carry in addition to a PLB.

An old school Leatherman PST and a Rat 1/2 has been my combo on my last few extended backpacking trips. In fact, that combo is pretty much with me all the time. I never needed a larger blade, even for "bushcraft"... But after reading LostViking's review of the dogs head.... maybe I'll start taking my KA-BAR 1219 if the trips are short enough and find an excuse to do more woodwork.

Last edited:
Summer carry
BK-2, Spyderco Delica, Corona 8in folder saw

Fall carry
Council tool boys axe, Bark River Bravo 1, Corona 10 inch saw.

Winter carry
Fallkniven A1, 36in double bit axe, 30in collapsible bucksaw

Spring carry
Fallkniven A1, boys axe, 21in buck saw

Alpine carry
Leatherman charge, Corona 10in folding saw

Back