Survival Kit Survival Hatches, Axes, Saws, Shovels, etc.

I'm looking for survival hatches, axes, saws, shovels, hammers, and other necessary tools. When searching online, these products are typically made of stainless steel, not high carbon or tool steel. I don't think such tools would be reliable, when made from stainless steel. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Maybe I'm incorrect, and there are stainless steel tools that are indeed reliable.

Really, it would depend on the stainless steel and heat treat. Painting with a broad stroke is a bad idea. There are carbon steels and tool steels that would also make bad choices for such tools, so simply saying "stainless steel is a bad choice" isn't useful or accurate.

Now, most of the tools I've seen for such things do not look to be quality that use stainless steels. In every scenario, I prefer to get regular tools and have them for my "oh shit kits."

Need a "survival shovel," get a good packable shovel. The cold steel shovels mentioned above are good and affordable.

Need a "survival axe," get a good axe of your preferred size. Fiskars is pretty decent, I like council tool's axes, knowing they'll need some edge work and a mask.

"Survival" tools are onky good if they're with you AND you know how to use them.

A good multitool like a leatherman or SAK is a good place to start. A lot of capability in a tool easy to have on you.

Next is going to be a packable shelter, either a tarp or poncho that be pitched like a tarp. You'll die from exposure before other things so getting shelter to extend your chances of surviving is a big deal. Consider some cordage to go with that tarp or poncho for the tarps I carry, I have the guylines already tied and a pre-fabricated ridgeline. I like the silnylon MEST from Etowah outfitters, packs quite small, is lightweight, and he includes everything needed to get it setup, last time I ordered one. I've mostly moved to ponchos though.

From there, it's figuring out how to get out of a survival situation and getting to safety. The goal is to get out of the situation, not stay in an emergency situation for extended periods. Compass, whistle, GPS, etc.

I should add, a 1st aid kit should probably be considered as well. Again, focus on what you can actually do. If you don't know how to use a chest seal, that's not top priority to include.

I'm not above having a cheat sheet or book along either as we can become idiots when stressed or freezing.

Really, it would depend on the stainless steel and heat treat. Painting with a broad stroke is a bad idea. There are carbon steels and tool steels that would also make bad choices for such tools, so simply saying "stainless steel is a bad choice" isn't useful or accurate.

Now, most of the tools I've seen for such things do not look to be quality that use stainless steels. In every scenario, I prefer to get regular tools and have them for my "oh shit kits."

Need a "survival shovel," get a good packable shovel. The cold steel shovels mentioned above are good and affordable.

Need a "survival axe," get a good axe of your preferred size. Fiskars is pretty decent, I like council tool's axes, knowing they'll need some edge work and a mask.

"Survival" tools are onky good if they're with you AND you know how to use them.

A good multitool like a leatherman or SAK is a good place to start. A lot of capability in a tool easy to have on you.

Next is going to be a packable shelter, either a tarp or poncho that be pitched like a tarp. You'll die from exposure before other things so getting shelter to extend your chances of surviving is a big deal. Consider some cordage to go with that tarp or poncho for the tarps I carry, I have the guylines already tied and a pre-fabricated ridgeline. I like the silnylon MEST from Etowah outfitters, packs quite small, is lightweight, and he includes everything needed to get it setup, last time I ordered one. I've mostly moved to ponchos though.

From there, it's figuring out how to get out of a survival situation and getting to safety. The goal is to get out of the situation, not stay in an emergency situation for extended periods. Compass, whistle, GPS, etc.

I should add, a 1st aid kit should probably be considered as well. Again, focus on what you can actually do. If you don't know how to use a chest seal, that's not top priority to include.

I'm not above having a cheat sheet or book along either as we can become idiots when stressed or freezing.
I have most of what I need already. I also have and old Leatherman Wave, a nice 4 season tent, etc. I actually have 2 hatchets. There from hardware stores, so I suspect they're forged quality steel. You're correct, regular tools probably make more sense, with the exception of a camp saw. That's the one I'm having trouble finding.

The medicine thing is a big deal for me. I'm disabled from 2 systemic conditions, and I'll crack within a week without my meds. I'm going to try to see if I can order prescription meds from India.

What do you guys think of Patriot Supply emergency food? There are a few companies out there, but Patriot Supply seems to be the main one.

If you guys know of a good camp saw, let me know. I was trying to find a hatchet/camp saw combo. None of them get decent reviews. They all have stainless steel blades. That's probably not a problem, since hatchet and axe blades are so beefy. It's the handles that matter. Most of these combos break at the handle, or the axe blade breaks off the handle. I've decided it's better to have forged steel hatched, with the handle and blade being all the same piece of steel like the Estwing's I'm sure they're heavier, but it could make a huge difference. If your hatchet breaks, and you have to use a large knife, things will get much harder.

If you guys know of a good camp saw, let me know. I was trying to find a hatchet/camp saw combo. None of them get decent reviews. They all have stainless steel blades. That's probably not a problem, since hatchet and axe blades are so beefy. It's the handles that matter. Most of these combos break at the handle, or the axe blade breaks off the handle. I've decided it's better to have forged steel hatched, with the handle and blade being all the same piece of steel like the Estwing's I'm sure they're heavier, but it could make a huge difference. If your hatchet breaks, and you have to use a large knife, things will get much harder.

depending on space, silky pocket boy or gomboy, bahco lablander, sven saw, corona folding saw, and agawa (or nearly any that will fit a bahco bow saw blade) are all pretty good. I've tried most of then, I like silky probably the most but they aren't inexpensive, especially now. The blades are pricey to replace or carry spares. Bahco laplander is a good value, the orange one, the pro I think (only difference is color, that I can tell) is usually a little less expensive. Corona folding saws are often at hardware stores and are pretty close to silky saws, from what I've been told but that and the Sven are the only 2 I haven't used or seen someone use in person.

I think I have 5 or 6 silky saws of various sizes, if that says anything. I really like the bigboy and use it often for trail maintenance, but it used to be $50 and it's quite a bit more now. I have 2 gomboys, one I use frequently and one sits in a kit and then a few pocket boys for in the garage and work shop, using the fine teeth blades. The pocket boy with the curved blade is actually a really useful saw for how small it carries. For procuring wood for a twig stove or cutting through a mess if brush, the small size is great. Yoi can cut most of the way though bigger branches and break it off if you really need to process something bigger.

depending on space, silky pocket boy or gomboy, bahco lablander, sven saw, corona folding saw, and agawa (or nearly any that will fit a bahco bow saw blade) are all pretty good. I've tried most of then, I like silky probably the most but they aren't inexpensive, especially now. The blades are pricey to replace or carry spares. Bahco laplander is a good value, the orange one, the pro I think (only difference is color, that I can tell) is usually a little less expensive. Corona folding saws are often at hardware stores and are pretty close to silky saws, from what I've been told but that and the Sven are the only 2 I haven't used or seen someone use in person.

I think I have 5 or 6 silky saws of various sizes, if that says anything. I really like the bigboy and use it often for trail maintenance, but it used to be $50 and it's quite a bit more now. I have 2 gomboys, one I use frequently and one sits in a kit and then a few pocket boys for in the garage and work shop, using the fine teeth blades. The pocket boy with the curved blade is actually a really useful saw for how small it carries. For procuring wood for a twig stove or cutting through a mess if brush, the small size is great. Yoi can cut most of the way though bigger branches and break it off if you really need to process something bigger.
I did a little research, and Silky seems to be the best brand of folding saws. They are expensive. But, I believe in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I appreciate the help.

I did a little research, and Silky seems to be the best brand of folding saws. They are expensive. But, I believe in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I appreciate the help.
They make great saws. I keep a BigBoy with me when traveling to my remote cabin year round- mostly as a back up, but sometimes find it faster than grabbing a chainsaw. When working in snow/icy conditions it is much safer being able to support an overhanging branch with one hand and cut with the other. My only words of caution are to get a sheath for it and to be careful not to bind the blade. It is nice to be able to buy a different toothed blade for a back up or different cutting needs.

You will love your saw!

Yes and no on buy once cry once. Sports cars as an example, higher performance, higher cost, and higher maintenance.

Obviously, I like silky saws. I've never broken a blade, but many people have and if mine binds, I'm cutting it out with an axe or machete and treating it nicely.

Also, not sure where you're going with the survival tools thing, but if you're just going to throw it in a bag for an unlikely what-if scenario, I'm going lower budget and nearly as good of a tool nearly every time. Like a mora companion, great tool, not a huge cost. Throw 3 in there while you're at it.

Unless the scenario is likely, I'm not dropping top dollar on a tool to sit in a kit. "Good enough" is just that, good enough. Maybe go a little more, but no less. I'm not getting Gransfors axe to drop in a kit either, as another example of something better than I need and maybe not actually the best option even.

If you're going to use it and not just let it sit, then I think the cost is justified. They're great saws. Just know what you have when you're using it.

Just throwing it out there too, machetes make great "survival" tools as well as they are working tools, inexpensive, and easy to maintain. In many instances, I would put a machete over an axe in a kit because of weight, space, price, and I find machetes very useful tools. There are numerous stainless machetes that would be good options also, going back to your originally question. Many bad ones, but some good ones too.

Last edited:
Bear in mind the Silky is high performance, but also less forgiving.

Pull cuts only, and watch the tip.

I have snapped them many times, as they are run pretty hard.

This is what makes them cut so well, but you need to be paying attention to technique.
Thanks. I appreciate the heads up. I"n trying to decide between a folding saw, and a pocket chain/wire saw. It doesn't seem like there are any pocket chain/wire saws that last for more than 5-10 uses. If you know if one that lasts, please let me know.

For shovels I keep a full size shovel in the truck when I’m out adventuring. For compact shoves, Glock folding shovels and Cold Steel shovels get my recommendation. Hatchets/axes my go to choices are Fiskars, RMJ, Council, CRKT, and H&B Forge. I don’t have a large saw but I really like the Silkys and Fiskars folders. I have a Fiskars that’s not very common with a ten inch blade that cuts wonderfully. If I’m cutting firewood for myself or just a couple people, 15-20 minutes will get a lot of wood cut👍

Thanks. I appreciate the heads up. I"n trying to decide between a folding saw, and a pocket chain/wire saw. It doesn't seem like there are any pocket chain/wire saws that last for more than 5-10 uses. If you know if one that lasts, please let me know.

The milspec pockets saws are supposed to be better, but they're still not going to work better than a folding saw.

This one is made in USA. I don't know if they're available elsewhere, to be honest. I think Amazon has a similar version made in the UK.
Screenshot_20240129-035629_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
They are comparatively heavy though as compared to a bahco or fiskars

The milspec pockets saws are supposed to be better, but they're still not going to work better than a folding saw.

This one is made in USA. I din't know if they're available elsewhere, to be honest. I think Amazon has a similar version made in the UK.
View attachment 2475081
I might pick one up, and attach it to the plastic sheath of my Ontario 18" Military Machete?

On a somewhat related note, I've been looking to pickup the sawback version of the Ontario 18" military machete. I had the D-handle version, which is made from 1075. Ontario switched almost all of their 1095 blades to 1075 a few years ago. I'm not sure exactly when. Their steel consultant, Dan Maragni made the change: https://ontarioknife.com/blogs/education-1/dan-maragni-intro-1095-1075-switch?page=8

I'm not sure they changed all their 1095 blades to 1075. The model number for the 18" sawback machete is ON18S. Does anyone know if this machete is 1075, it 1095?

I have another question. Is the sawback on Ontario's 18" machetes even useful? A lot of people say it's not very useful, so it's better to buy the non sawback version, which I have. I can't find any videos of people actually seeing anything considerable with the sawback on these machetes.

Back