Survival Kit Survival Hatches, Axes, Saws, Shovels, etc.

Well, it seems like the OKC SPAX (SP16) would be a great tool to leave in my vehicle. It's actually meant to be a crash axe, which are in all commercial airplanes. They're meant to help people get out of a busted up vehicle. I'd definitely like to have one. I would tie it down to the back of the passenger seat.

It's definitely not an a camping our wilderness survival tool. However, it could be used as one in a pinch. A camp axe or hatchet would work better (depending on the design), but the OKC SPAX can do both. I doubt it will chop wood like a real camp axe. But, it's an important tool, and can double as a camp axe

It can help me extricate my family from a vehicle crash, and double an axe/tomahawk. That's good enough for me.
Yes! Now u understand what I meant when I wrote that the SAPX-16 was best at nothing , but capable of satisfactorily performing all the tasks outlined in my post.

To all readers, in case u haven’t guessed, my life , travels and perils are mainly urban. Rural perils are distinctly secondary. But , in truth, the main equipment issues are common to both , with the exception that the urban perils often require more & heavier tool set-ups.

Yes! Now u understand what I meant when I wrote that the SAPX-16 was best at nothing , but capable of satisfactorily performing all the tasks outlined in my post.

To all readers, in case u haven’t guessed, my life , travels and perils are mainly urban. Rural perils are distinctly secondary. But , in truth, the main equipment issues are common to both , with the exception that the urban perils often require more & heavier tool set-ups.
I think the police would be more understanding of having a sheathed SPAX attached to somewhere the driver can reach. They won't stand for fixed blade knives being where the driver can reach them, at least in VA and many states. Since the SPAX is meant for getting out/in to planes and cars, it's a tool more than an axe/hatchet. But, it can also be used for self defense.

The standard NATO military shovel is a good option to consider, with its only downside being its weight (1360 g). Solid, sturdy, multifunctional, and the only folding tool I have ever seen, that can hold under heavy use. You can find a used one in good condition on e-bay or in a military surplus store, for less than 30$. A new one is around 50$. Beware of the fakes. There are a few variations of the original, from Mil Tec and other companies that are direct suppliers for some NATO countries and produce under the Ames specification. And you can still find some older models on e-bay made by Ames themselves.

Look how hard these soldiers strike the brick-hard ground with it and it still holds with flying colors:

I hope this helps.
Cheers!

The standard NATO military shovel is a good option to consider, with its only downside being its weight (1360 g). Solid, sturdy, multifunctional, and the only folding tool I have ever seen, that can hold under heavy use. You can find a used one in good condition on e-bay or in a military surplus store, for less than 30$. A new one is around 50$. Beware of the fakes. There are a few variations of the original, from Mil Tec and other companies that are direct suppliers for some NATO countries and produce under the Ames specification. And you can still find some older models on e-bay made by Ames themselves.

Look how hard these soldiers strike the brick-hard ground with it and it still holds with flying colors:

I hope this helps.
Cheers!
I ended buying the Glock Entrenching Tool. It's pretty light and durable. It'll take longer to dig, but the lightweight and durability make up for it. It also comes with a root saw, that tightens the screw, and the the knob that locks the shovel blade in place. It was on a super sale, and got good reviews. The sheath is kind of pathetic, but it can fit in a MIL-SPEC sheath if I need one.

Back