• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

I'm certainly not suggesting that at all.
Hmmm...

it may be reaching the point of being counter productive.
So what does it mean if this thread warning about survive is counter productive? You are literally saying it is introducing people to survive's products. Which of course means you think it is selling their product. Or do you mean something else by "counter productive" . Do explain. Be specific.

If you hate them so much, why don't you just stop talking about them.... That sort of thing.
My man, they keep coming up with new ways to scam. They keep scamming. They are literally going after industry icons in their latest batch of con-artist nutery. Gotta keep up with the evolving scam. New people are falling for it everyday. I guess we should stop though, since you think we are driving eyeballs to them...

My intention with my earlier comments was not to kick any hornets nest. Just sharing my thoughts as someone who had never even heard of Survive!, but now sees their name at the top of the page every single day.
Did you read further and buy a knife?

irony of this thread being so incredible active and lengthy (now approaching 6,000 posts and bumped up several times each day) that it may be reaching the point of being counter productive. It's one thing for people to speak up, it's another thing when it becomes a long term spectacle. There are parallels here with current media coverage of certain individuals. If you hate them so much, why don't you just stop talking about them.... That sort of thing.

If nobody is talking about them outside of their censored bubble, then how are people prevented from getting taken in??

Keep shooting, stabbing, beating, choking, drowning, etc until no longer a threatā€¦.šŸ¤Ŗ

If nobody is talking about them outside of their censored bubble, then how are people prevented from getting taken in??
I guess it's the old "any publicity is good publicity" type of theory. That might work for actors, politicians, or companies that actually deliver product. Just get people talking about you! Thing is, survive runs a ponzi scheme type scam that relies on controlling public information. When the facts are presented and actual people who have been conned are consulted, the reality and scope of the scam guy has been running for the last decade is obvious. In most other venues, guy and his shills can control the narrative and drive sales. Not here though. It makes zero sense to not have this thread constantly bumped to the top. Except for a few other places on the web, this forum is one of the best places to spread real unadulterated information in the knife world.

I guess it's the old "any publicity is good publicity" type of theory. That might work for actors, politicians, or companies that actually deliver product. Just get people talking about you! Thing is, survive runs a ponzi scheme type scam that relies on controlling public information. When the facts are presented and actual people who have been conned are consulted, the reality and scope of the scam guy has been running for the last decade is obvious. In most other venues, guy and his shills can control the narrative and drive sales. Not here though. It makes zero sense to not have this thread constantly bumped to the top. Except for a few other places on the web, this forum is one of the best places to spread real unadulterated information in the knife world.
THIS

Seems like if you boil it down to its essence...

Survive! Knives: A problem not in search of a solution

I think there will be more information coming down the pike in reasonably short order.
I think it boils down to...

Survive Knives: A problem in search of a scape goat
20yard, you're relatively new hereabouts. Beating things to death is just part of the culture and a time-honored tradition.

It's understandable that you haven't wrapped your head around it, yet. (Give it time.)
Yes the beating will continue until morale improves

Not implying any subterfuge. Just pointing out that thousands (I'm assuming) of people are seeing the Survive! name/brand at the very top of the Knife Exchange page every single day. Whether or not they are reading the thread, they are seeing their name. Perhaps that free press is not in line with what they deserve. That's all I'm saying.
Having this thread as the top of the exchange threads here is not the objective.

Keeping this thread as close to the top of google search results as possible is the objective.

The more people see this thread the fewer chances there are for Survive to keep ripping people off. Is it perfect? No but it's the best crowd sourced solution we've got right now.

straightening?
Naw, I donā€™t think so. Itā€™s befuddled Mr. Creely whoā€™s not familiar with that ā€œprocessā€ (but whoā€™s obviously familiar with knife making).

From the outside looking in, it almost has a superstitious, mystical quality to it.

Thereā€™s an outstanding chocolatier here in Connecticut. I mean outstanding. Life altering. But theyā€™re also a bunch of weird mystics who mention that they tie up the cows to face east and west because it makes better milk for chocolate making. This has that vibe.

Crucible straightens bars yellow hot on a 2,000 ton hydraulic press or a 3-point bending piece of equipment called "The Bulldozer".
Niagara straightens sheets with a state of the art, multi-roll straightener.
Survive! uses the ASTM Happy Gilmore method.
OIP.ut5iCtQxCgibMBM9lyytRAAAAA

Crucible straightens bars yellow hot on a 2,000 ton hydraulic press or a 3-point bending piece of equipment called "The Bulldozer".
Niagara straightens sheets with a state of the art, multi-roll straightener.
Survive! uses the ASTM Happy Gilmore method.
OIP.ut5iCtQxCgibMBM9lyytRAAAAA
šŸ˜‚ dang it, bunch of y'all making me chuckle in this thread....

Okay, well I have not seen the process as performed by Surviveā‰ , but peen straightening is a valid process that real knife makers do, and I would hate to see it besmirched by association. That was the only reason I mentioned it.

Okay, well I have not seen the process as performed by Surviveā‰ , but peen straightening is a valid process that real knife makers do, and I would hate to see it besmirched by association. That was the only reason I mentioned it.
"Compressive peening" is what's described in this video, starting at 7:20.
The video seems to be peen straightening, but I would guess Guy would just call it "peen straightening" if that's what it was. This is Creely's take.

I don't know. But peen straightening works by redistributing tension within the steel to straighten it.

Brother, no need to worry, we all know that Guy's "process" is hot trash and not to be mistaken for anything a valid knife maker would do. LOL

Remember, this is the same guy who spent a bunch of money filling up a machine shop with machines he clearly doesn't know how to use, to make knives that he doesn't actually know how to make since he never had to (but now has to because he's run off virtually all of his parts suppliers). It's comical, really.

"Compressive peening" is what's described in this video, starting at 7:20.
The video seems to be peen straightening, but I would guess Guy would just call it "peen straightening" if that's what it was. This is Creely's take.

I think we are conflating 2 processes. Straightening with a carbide ball on a peening hammer is fine and standard (in fact, I am doing some of that in the video). "Compressive Peening" (guys term) may also be referred to as shot peening. This shot peening had caused some blowouts in a few magnacut blades they showed.

I think we are conflating 2 processes. Straightening with a carbide ball on a peening hammer is fine and standard (in fact, I am doing some of that in the video). "Compressive Peening" (guys term) may also be referred to as shot peening. This shot peening had caused some blowouts in a few magnacut blades they showed.
Thanks for the clarification.
I'm familiar with shot peening from other industries. You probably already know, but shot peening is a method for cold work-hardening the surface of a metal. I suppose, notionally, there could be an application to knives, but I don't know what it would accomplish. Differential hardening is a thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's usually accomplished via lamination or during heat treat, such as a hamon.

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm familiar with shot peening from other industries. You probably already know, but shot peening is a method for cold work-hardening the surface of a metal. I suppose, notionally, there could be an application to knives, but I don't know what it would accomplish. Differential hardening is a thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's usually accomplished via lamination or during heat treat, such as a hamon.

One thing is that I am assuming that what Guy means by "compressive peening" is, in fact, shot peening which may or may not be the case. The reason they were using it was for surface finish, not hardening.

One thing is that I am assuming that what Guy means by "compressive peening" is, in fact, shot peening which may or may not be the case. The reason they were using it was for surface finish, not hardening.
Well once again I discover we'll never really know what S!K does, but I appreciate you being a voice of reason in the madness.

Back