Swisstool VS leatherman

Do a little looking around in the archives and you'll find tons of reviews and comparasions relating to Leatherman and Victorinox. You're going to get a wide range of answers with such a broad question. Do some research and perhaps look for certain features or functions in particuliar rather than the 'ol which brand is better battle.

What do you feel is better, Swisstool or leatherman?

There are different models of each brand multitool, so you must refine your question to specific model vs. model. I have a few Leatherman tools, some dating back to the early 1990s.

I recently bought a Victorinox Swisstool X and like it better overall than the current model Leatherman tools. The Swisstool's fit and finish are better than the current Leatherman tools and the Vic's individual blades don't interfere with each other. But, some of the Leatherman tools have better files and screwdrivers than my Swisstool.

To complicate matters, I have a SOG PowerLock S60. Its fit and finish and compound action pliers are better than Leatherman and its pliers are the best, but its screwdrivers are not. :)

For me, my SwissTool X Plus wins hands down over my LM Charge Ti when it comes to tool robustness and general utility. The LM Charge has an advantage when it comes to the plier head (needlenose) and the 154CM one-hand PE blade, however, I EDC the SwissTool X and find it the better of the two. =)

I actually GAVE my swisstool to my best man as a gift after my wedding, because I didn't like it. It was a well made tool, sure, but it was a bit heavy for me. It had all these tools that I personally don't use (a chisel?) and I had a hard time getting to alot of the tools because they are so friggin tight!! The individual springs made it so hard to pull them out that I kept messing up my nails. I have a Leatherman Wave which I like alot, although I don't like the way the handles pinch my fingers when I use the pliers (since the knife blades are so big in order to make it easier to use one handed, they just about touch when the pliers are being used.) and I also have a LM Blast, which I love. It has all I need as far as tools, but it feels so light. It doesn't really have that sturdy build, you know? I just recently got a LM Sideclip, and I've been EDCing it, and I have to tell you, I love it. Not so much for work, because it lacks a saw and file, but to clip on my pocket for just going out and about? Bye bye SAK Sportsman. It's my new tag along.

The SwissTool imo is made very vell. However, it does have a kind of crude look to it once you get past the high gloss buff job. I'm talking about the peened rivets that hold the tools to the handles, and the blocky appearance of the handles themselves.In contrast I think my Leatherman Wave looked much cooler.

The thing I hate the most about my SwissTool is how hard it's to open the blades. Forget using the thing with almost any kind of gloves on, or in cold weather with near frozen hands.

The hard wire cutter doesn't cut welding rods as cleanly as my Leatherman did. The SwissTool kind of bends, then cuts the rod. I don't cut rods often with my multi, so I guees it don't matter anyway.

SwissTool sheaths are a joke. The sheaths are more for protecting the thing when you throw it in a glovebox or backpack from scratches, than it is for real use on a working mans belt.:thumbdn:

I'm not busting on the SwissTool, it's a good tool, but with a little redesign from Victorinox it can be the best. I now understand why Leatherman is constantly designing new tools because what's great today is old school tomorrow. I like evolution.

I'm not a collector, so I don't want to go out and buy ten different tools for comparison or start a collection. I also don't "rotate" multitools. I don't "rotate" my regular hand tools either.. When I find something that works I stick with it, get to know it, become comfortable with it and use it.

I'm just mad that SwissTool sheaths blow, and I'm having a hard time opening my blades in the cold...:mad:

I might just break down and buy the Leatherman Core. At least they have nice sheaths.:)

I might just break down and buy the Leatherman Core. At least they have nice sheaths

What are you talking about? The LM Core sheaths are the cheapest peices of cardboard imitation junk I have yet seen. I own a Vic Spirit and love the sheath but I don't have the swisstool yet so I can't comment on the sheath.

BTW, I like the LM Core but they have a major design flaw that messes up the tool should you open it all the way while using the med screwdriver tool. I posted a thread on it. Otherewise I highly reccomend the Core for ease of opening and LARGE tools.

You're basically asking for a Poll. Having seen what can happen to one particular Swisstool (my brother broke his). Everyone here has their own opinion.

My vote goes to the LM's.

I own a LM Wave and a Swisstool RS. Both are very well made and dependable. I wouldn't hesitate buying either one of them again. However, to me, there's just something sexy about the Swisstool.

Buy the one that best suits your tool needs. You won't be disappointed.

MB

Swisstool for me. I would say the Swisstool Spirit, but I do prefer the old style scisors...

Regards.

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Too many problems with Lethermans for me, but the real killer for me is that the Leathemans have a tendency to rust.

My vote is cast in favour of the SwissTool.

I have several Leatherman tools and one Swisstool X.

The Swisstool is a better design and superior quality = vote for Vic.

Regards,
FK

I'll have to go with leatherman on this one. I do like the swisstool but there are some things I don't like about it. Mainly I don't like the phillips screwdriver. It works fine for most screws but it can be hard to get it to stay in the slot when tighening a screw or if the screw is a bit buggered up. If they changed the phillips to one that didn't slip so easily I'd prfer the swisstool. Also I think I got one of the bad ones because my swisstool wasn't put together as well as it should have been. When I got it the file was bent so that when you closed the pliers it would scratch on the pliers head so I had to bend the file into place. Otherwise it was a pretty good tool but there were a few things that made it less desireable than a core. It should be noted though that my core hasn't exhibited the same problems as colubrid's. So as I said before, make mine a leatherman.

Back