Swisstool VS leatherman

I used my spirit yesterday sawing 1.25 thick tree branches due to storm damage. Had no saw around. The saw blade cut on the last stock as well as on the first. Today I bought a leatherman charge ti, very nice. I like that the blade is 154cm.

No. SwissTool sucks. I say this because the needlenose are blunted, wirecutters cannot cut shit, tiny blades, hard to access blades, cheap locks, screw drivers are rounded off, and not a true serrated blade more like the top of a steak knife that you see at a resturaunt.

I have been able to "spine-tap" (I'm talking really light taps here, on my shoe, not on a hard medium) closed the knife blade, saw, and file of every LM Wave I used to own. I have not been able to do that with my Blasts' or Core's blades and tools (lock-backs). Since I, like many others here, also carry at least one, one-hand opening knife, I'll gladly give up the one-hand opening capability of the LM Wave, Charge, or Surge for the lock reliability and strength of a tool with a lock-back (Blast & Core).

You would be amazed at how easily my LM Waves's liner-locking tools have failed really, really light "spine taps"!

I have been able to "spine-tap" (I'm talking really light taps here, on my shoe, not on a hard medium) closed the knife blade, saw, and file of every LM Wave I used to own. I have not been able to do that with my Blasts' or Core's blades and tools (lock-backs). Since I, like many others here, also carry at least one, one-hand opening knife, I'll gladly give up the one-hand opening capability of the LM Wave, Charge, or Surge for the lock reliability and strength of a tool with a lock-back (Blast & Core).

You would be amazed at how easily my LM Waves's liner-locking tools have failed really, really light "spine taps"!

I had a similar experience with a Leatherman Charge Ti. On the very first time I used it, the blade folded. At first I thought maybe the release was activated by my work gloves, but a week later when it happened again, I wasn't wearing them. It only took light spine taps on my shoe to close both knife blades. I sent the Charge to Leatherman, and it was returned unfixed with a note that everything was in spec.

Based on what has been posted on these forums, this doesn't seem to be a chronic problem with LT liner locks, but I don't trust them any more. This is the only locking knife of any kind that has ever failed on me.

Too many problems with Lethermans for me, but the real killer for me is that the Leathemans have a tendency to rust.

My vote is cast in favour of the SwissTool.

Experience? I have a leatherman from the early 90's. It is rock solid, no rust, serves as my fishing pliers in both fresh and salt water fishing. It is my least maintained knife, treat more like a tool than a "knife" and I have never had any rust issues. My only issues are design, but it was the first design and many of my issues have been addressed in newer models.

victorinox - leathermans have some good ideas then spoil it with bad steel or finish they need to keep making new models so encourage people to buy em when they've broken their last one.

the best thing about leathermans is their true needle nose pliers and the hard wire cutter, the scissors are bad as are the screwdrivers and bottle/can openers. the file is good though - my victorinox lives on my belt, my gerber is on my web gear and my leatherman in my bike toolkit.

victorinox - leathermans have some good ideas then spoil it with bad steel or finish they need to keep making new models so encourage people to buy em when they've broken their last one.

the best thing about leathermans is their true needle nose pliers and the hard wire cutter, the scissors are bad as are the screwdrivers and bottle/can openers. the file is good though - my victorinox lives on my belt, my gerber is on my web gear and my leatherman in my bike toolkit.

"the scissors are bad as are the screwdrivers and bottle/can openers. ":confused:

You must be confused...there's nothing wrong with the scissors, screwdrivers, or bottle/can openers on Leatherman tools.
They all work just fine for me and millions of other users.

I've had several Leatherman's and have had a love/hate relationship with the Charge. While I like the pliers and knife blades - the tools are terrible. I've bent bits in the bit driver. The tools on the original Wave were much less gimicky and more practical.

I was just in the US a couple of weeks ago and saw a Swiss Spirit (first time I've ever seen one in real life). What a difference in quality! My only disappointment with it is the knife - though I EDC a BM705 so it's not a huge issue. Other than that the tool is far superior!

I was also a bit turned off by the Spirit's knife blade at first. I was happier once I ground off the serrations and beveled both sides of the blade. I found that I don't mind lacking a point on it, since I can always use the awl if I need to pierce something.

Honestly, my only reason for picking up a Spirit was a clearance price. My thinking was to try it out, if I liked it, keep it. If not, I could sell it as slightly used and at least get my money back. I have done this successfully with other knives/multitools, even made a little $ (although not enough to give up my day job anytime soon ;) ).

Initially, I was skeptical. Earlier I had done the same with a Swisstool, and concluded that the design and workmanship were exceptional, not so much the slippy screwdrivers, stubby pliers jaws and ripped fingernails. Some days I couldn't get tools out without using a key or coin. I went back to my trusty Leathermen and oh, well. I figured the Spirit would be more or less similar in that regard, and then there was that off-putting wierdly shaped serrated knife blade to deal with.

After a few weeks of EDC, I turned around completely. The implements were much easier to access than those on the Swisstool, and the knife blade proved to be just fine. While still not a true needlenose, the pliers were tending more in that direction and the handles were so much more comfortable in use. Nothing is perfect, so I learned to live with the drivers and dinky scissors.

Although I still prefer a Leatherman Core for heavier use, the Spirit is IMHO the best all-around multi-tool yet. It is my constant companion. Even my other constant companion :), who usually has no interest in these things, wants one. If anyone finds another Spirit on sale any time soon, please let me know.

.... Earlier I had done the same with a Swisstool ... Some days I couldn't get tools out without using a key or coin. ...

Some SwissTools are harder to open than others. This is not a generic problem.

I can open the individual tools on my SwissTool X just as easily as I can on my Spirit.

Er...wouldn't people just send their broken one back and continue to recieve a new/repaired model for whatever the shipping cost to Oregon is?

Some SwissTools are harder to open than others. This is not a generic problem.

I can open the individual tools on my SwissTool X just as easily as I can on my Spirit.

After just now trying it again, I once again came up with a ragged thumbnail. The longer implements have enough leverage to be no problem, but the others are just doable and smallest can be a real PIA to lift out unassisted.

I have seen other complaints about this issue. Perhaps it is generic after all and you are the one who got lucky.

If, OTOH, you are right, I wonder if Victorinox would or could adjust the spring tension if I sent the tool to them for a warranty fix.

I have seen other complaints about this issue. Perhaps it is generic after all and you are the one who got lucky.

If, OTOH, you are right, I wonder if Victorinox would or could adjust the spring tension if I sent the tool to them for a warranty fix.

The reason I mention the difference in spring tension between your SwissTool and my SwissTool X is that there other differences between SwissTools of various vintages -- the kind of differences which are visible, e.g., the pliers head and wire cutters are different on different vintage SwissTools.

i have the lm charge and the vic spirit,,,the spirit is my favorite,,, love it,,

I'd just say they're different, and it depends what you're looking for. Some people think Swiss tools are strong well made tools (good fit and finish and no rusting to worry about) and think LMs are cool but "gimmicky". Others (myself included) think that LMs are strong well made tools (good pliars and screwdrivers, sharp knives, etc.) and think Swiss tools cool but "gimmicky" (soft steel, trying to put too many "tools" on each blade, etc). It's all personal preference.

I'd just say they're different, and it depends what you're looking for. Some people think Swiss tools are strong well made tools (good fit and finish and no rusting to worry about) and think LMs are cool but "gimmicky". Others (myself included) think that LMs are strong well made tools (good pliars and screwdrivers, sharp knives, etc.) and think Swiss tools cool but "gimmicky" (soft steel, trying to put too many "tools" on each blade, etc). It's all personal preference.

Okay, then put me down as a happy idiot. What I go on about are minor issues. I like them all :) .

I did EXTENSIVE reasearch before I bought my first multitool. I had absolutely no bias during my research. I just wanted the best and it didn't matter who the manufacturer was. In the end, the Swisstool was the clear winner. The Swisstool X is what I ended up buying and that's the one I'd choose again today if I had to do it all over again.

Good choice, ScissorHands!

The SwissTool X Plus is also my EDC for more than a couple of years now, and it has never failed me yet. It is also low maintenance as I do not always have to clean and oil it even after being used in a wet environment. I just wipe it dry and stow it. =)

I just got the swisstool x as well today. Love it so far but only time will tell. It is my first multitool other than a sak i had years ago.

i own the swiss tool and it is hard to open on a good day much less rainy or bad weather days,so she sits in my gun safe beside several other gerber tools and my carry over until i get LM wave is the usa schrade multi tool, it is great , but i would say LM wave would be my choice and one day i'll one instead of using my buds...LOL!

Back