Swisstool VS leatherman

agreed with Gatch, leatherman has the tendency to rust.

own Victorinox Swisstool X, Spirit Plus with rotating ratchet, Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Squirt P4

i still prefer the swisstool X and spirit Plus. Wave has the look but quality wise, swisstool and spirit are the better ones

It should be noted though that my core hasn't exhibited the same problems as colubrid's. So as I said before, make mine a leatherman.

All of them have the same problem. Maybe you are not opening the tool when using the middlescrewdriver. If you did it would stick inbetween. There is no other way for the tool to function unless they put a bracket in the handle to prevent it. The Surge has this bracket.

I tried this on 11 Cores in 2 Walmarts. I also contacted LM and they said all of theirs did the same thing.

Leatherman might look cool, as some have already said. Swisstools just flat out don't impress me. Gerbers... well enough said there. Hands down the best strongest hard use muti's going are SOG powerlock. They look like a tool that belongs on the belt. Best factory leather sheath I've seen. The tools function great, if they aren't working for you then maybe you should go to your tool box and get the right tool. I have handled, used, or borrowed all the major brands of multi's and have found all the tools to pretty much be the same quality. SOG is right on the mark with there combination of tools. IMO you can continue to debate LM vs Swisstool because SOG is definately out of their league.

Well colubrid I was finally able to get my core to jam, but the way I access and use the medium screwdriver the jamming issue has not been a problem. I do agree that a little tab to make sure this problem doesn't occur would be a good idea.

Wifey has my Leatherman, it was good but I wasn't that happy with the fit. I luv my vic however it goes into my BOB not my belt as it is a hinderance pulling up the trousers, after a call of nature, with such weight on the belt.

agreed with Gatch, leatherman has the tendency to rust.

It puzzles me that Leatherman tools have a reputation for rusting. I accept that other users have had this problem, but none of mine (PST, Super Tool, ST 200, Juice CS4, Micra, some of which I have owned up to 10 years) have ever showed any signs of rust. Could it be that some of the current models, like the Charge, are made of different materials that are more prone to rusting, or that local conditions of wet and humidity have to do with it?

I own a Swisstool and like it very much, but overall, prefer Leatherman for better screwdrivers, files, and true needlenose pliers. Also, there are some qualities about LTs that appeal to me in a striclly personal sense. They just seem to "fit" me better.

I have no quarrel with those who think Swisstool is superior, but not everything is settled by a balance sheet.

Perhaps we should have an ongoing poll , with lots of current multitools and find out which is the most popular once and for all .Although if its ongoing it could change :D

Dunc

I have a Swisstool, a Spirit, an old style LM Wave and a ten year old LM Super Tool. They are all useful tools of similar quality, but I dislike the loose wobble that Leatherman tools all seem to develop (even though it does not interfere with function).

My favorite of the bunch is the Vic Spirit, which is my usual edc. Once I ground the serrations off the blade and sharpened it on both sides, I became much happier with it. I like its build quality, its convenient size, and its useful array of implements that can be opened without unfolding the whole tool.

I use the Swiss Tool when I anticipate heavier work. The old style Wave stays in my brief case. The old Super Tool has mangled wire cutters and is in semi-retirement in the glove box of the van.

I like Leatherman products. I'm notsaying the Swiss tool is bad, it's just more expensive and more tool than I usually look for. I have yet to find something that my PST or other Leatherman hasn't been able to accomplish. Also, while I love Victorinox, it's nice to be able to buy American. Most of my knives, brand name included, are imported. Seeing USA is a nice throwback.

Also, while I love Victorinox, it's nice to be able to buy American. Most of my knives, brand name included, are imported. Seeing USA is a nice throwback.

But Leatherman is not US made, US assembled yes, but in the main from parts that are made elsewhere. This why the Leatherman tools no longer have "USA" stamped into the plier head.

I like Leatherman products. I'm notsaying the Swiss tool is bad, it's just more expensive and more tool than I usually look for.

If you compare the LM's in the same class as the spirit or full size the Victorinox's are cheaper.

My Leatherman has never had a rust issue. It is from the early 90's and have been on many fishing trips both fresh water and salt water. Lots of surf fishing, no problem. Just take care of it like you would anything else.

I owned both and would go with the Leatherman. The Swisstool was probably tougher but also bigger - I eventually sold it as I never really felt like taking it anywhere. As someone else remarked, the Leatherman looks cooler (mine is the Charge Ti). I find the belt clip on the Charge useful, particularly as the awful elastic sided sheath can be difficult.

If true ruggedness was the main criterion. I would simply buy a pair of pliers from the hardware store at a lot less cost, and carry a SAK with it. The multitools to me are more in the class of interesting toys than anything else. Don't get me wrong - I like toys and am not criticizing multitool owners. The multis appeal to my love of gadgets and I am taken in by a lot of their innovative design features, but ultimately they are all compromises.

I also own a Leatherman Juice and like it as a travel tool. It comes with two vital travel survival items - a corkscrew and bottle opener. (and the scissors are a lot better than those on the Charge).

Gerbers seem to get a lot of negatives here - I have an older, fairly basic model that has the flick out sliding pliers. I use if a lot when fishing, for hook removals mostly. It is compact, light and has the best scissors I have seen on a multi. I also have a SOG multitool with a flexible plier head that allows the pliers to be used at different angles to the grip. I don't find it very useful although the design is interesting.

I find the Swisstool very difficult. I love the looks and the engineering, but it is very hard for me (no nails) to open the tools. I end up having to use a ballpoint pen as a tool to open the Swisstool tools.

I find the Wave easier to deal with and don't need any tools beyond my own hands to open the various Wave tools except a few of them and then I think it's a matter of loosening them up a little with repeated use.

This is exactly my frustration with the SAK in general, mirrored in the Swisstool and Spirit :(

No. SwissTool sucks. I say this because the needlenose are blunted, wirecutters cannot cut shit, tiny blades, hard to access blades, cheap locks, screw drivers are rounded off, and not a true serrated blade more like the top of a steak knife that you see at a resturaunt. I own almost every multitool available. From my expertise I would indeed reccomend the leatherman surge, but if that is too heavy for you then may i suggest the wave. If you need extreme wire cutters and a replacable jigsaw I would reccomend the gerber 800 legend that is my personal favorite and it does not rust the 800. What works for me is a legend on my belt and I black buck sirus on my pocket, btw that is a true knife the sirus

No. SwissTool sucks. I say this because the needlenose are blunted, wirecutters cannot cut shit, tiny blades, hard to access blades, cheap locks, screw drivers are rounded off, and not a true serrated blade more like the top of a steak knife that you see at a resturaunt. I own almost every multitool available. From my expertise I would indeed reccomend the leatherman surge, but if that is too heavy for you then may i suggest the wave. If you need extreme wire cutters and a replacable jigsaw I would reccomend the gerber 800 legend that is my personal favorite and it does not rust the 800. What works for me is a legend on my belt and I black buck sirus on my pocket, btw that is a true knife the sirus

this guy is great. never misses an opportunity to dig up old posts, bash swisstools and praise leathermans. in fact, that is all he has ever done in 9 posts.:thumbdn:

I have used Leatherman multitools for electronics and electrical work for many years, but have been carrying a Victorinox SwissTool X or Spirit more recently.

I encountered a situation yesterday in which the Victorinox Spirit's slightly blunt nose pliers was better suited than the more narrow nose on the Leatherman tools. I had to pull a somewhat corroded brush roller out of a vacuum cleaner and had only a small area for a pliers to grip. I had both a Spirit and a Leatherman Fuse at hand.

The blunter nose Vic plier put more surface area of the jaws in contact with the narrow ridge I had to grip than the narrow jaws plier. The tip of the blunt nose was stronger than the more delicate narrow nose pliers.

this guy is great. never misses an opportunity to dig up old posts, bash swisstools and praise leathermans. in fact, that is all he has ever done in 9 posts.:thumbdn:

You know, polite discussion about disagreements is a game not everybody know how to play. ;)

heh heh, too good.

Back