Swords for the Zombie Apocalypse

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Since a zombie is a hunk of flesh like any other, it is irrelevant whether it is alive, dead, un-dead, or dead-dead. Generally, stainless does not make for the best large sword-sized blades.

Probably not going to get too many responses on this particular forum with the zombie stuff, fyi. Not that I really care about your hobbies, but it just seems that fantasy-type talk just doesn't stir up too much interest. Folks around here seem more interested in real-world use.

The Sword Buyers Guide Forums like a good fantasy sword discussion though. That's where I go for that kind of stuff.

Google Zombie Tools, and have a look at what they make their blades out of. Same with kukris. Large workhorse blades are commonly made out of 5160 spring steel, because it's extremely tough against shock and impact damage that could break a lot of other steels. That's what it's designed for.

And 5160 is very much a rusty carbon steel. :p

Or SR101--Check out the SwampRat Rucki:thumbup: Holds an insaine edge, and could likely cut clean through any conceivable section of an undead corpse... though I'm sure most other swords could as well, regardless of steel:p

Don't count stainless out as completely useless, however. Condor makes some nice, durable machetes out of 420 HC that hold up quite well. I'd have no qualms carrying a Hog Sticker and it would be easy to maintain with minimal tools. It lacks the apocalyptic chic of a ZT blade, but that's a First World Problem.

With all this obsession over zombies, I'm starting to wonder if some super geek who wants to have a little fun will find a way to animate the freshly dead and make a real zombie. So, the interest in of itself will help make them a reality. :p

Really if you are seriously looking for a large sword-ish blade for any sort of apocalyptic situation, IMO you are better off with a humble - and relatively cheap - machete.

Swords typically are only designed to be used as weapons and don't hold up so well or perform very well for mundane survivalist use. There are exceptions of course with some of the Chinese dao type swords or the various heavy duty blades of the Philippines and India. But really... neccessary? When you can buy one of the better machetes made by Martindale, Ontario, Condor, or Tramantina... for far less money?

Machetes are relied upon as valuable survival tools and deadly weapons by people in the wildest parts of the world, every day. And the machete does indeed do well as a weapon; ask the Rwandans, Guatamalans, or Colombians. The Cubans have even used them in lieu of cavalry swords.

When civilization collapses, be it caused by zombies, asteroid impact, peak oil, or giant mutant hamsters, you would be better off carrying something which is equally effective as an everyday tool... or vicious weapon if need be. The machete will fill that role perfectly.

for zombies I would go with a light saber, it's your most practical option

I think The Schwartz would be a lot better in a zombie apocalypse than a lousy light saber.
S14.jpg

I Have been doing this for a couple years now.
This is the Dragon's tooth Battle Blade Cpm 3V, HT with Cryo, RC tested at 57, 24" blade 10" handle, balance 2.5" in front of guard. More examples on my C3 knives site.
IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_7968.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

This is My Walking Dead Decapitator (WDD) .25" CPM3V golok
IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8107.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

For upclose the Walking Dead Death Dealer WDDD Bowie .25" CPM 3V, All blades are convex ground.
IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8159.jpg

My personal set.
IMG_8202.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys the pics.

As a general rule I prefer a single edge to double edges when there is a chance of being surrounded and overwhelmed. Single edge gives you the option of reinforcing the cut/block if you get jammed up.

As a general rule I prefer a single edge to double edges when there is a chance of being surrounded and overwhelmed. Single edge gives you the option of reinforcing the cut/block if you get jammed up.

Exactly. Here was a run I did a while back that had a couple crazy blades in it. The top blade was a design a fella wanted for chopping Mesquite, and some zombies should the need arise. It had a 26" blade of 5/16" CPM 3V, convex ground. It weighed a lot. And the bottom was another design sent in with the pistol grip and forward lanyard hole. You can see three Battle blades in the center. They are all full tang. People have all kinds of ideas as to what is a good Zombie killer.

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7458_1.jpg

IMG_7465_1.jpg

I working on a little project that will fit the bill nicely. The double short! There have to more pics out there. Who else has them?

This is a no-brainer! Get any ONE of the THREE pictured here, and you cannot go wrong!

attachment.php

Yes. Quite. It's a lot closer to the blade presence of an actual sword. :)

Back