Swords for the Zombie Apocalypse

I just got a CS gurka kukri sk5 in the mail today and all I can say is it's a monster..Any reservations anybody has with grabbing this blade should be let go of.Grab one! Although I have yet to use it on anything substantial , it feels as solid as any other blade I own. I can really see this thing holding it's own with a sword in cutting power. It also has an excellent sheath. I also want to get a cutlass machete from Fourtytwo blades next month from his site with the special option plus. I hope they still have one in stock by that time. I have the condor cutlass and it will work well enough but It's not pointy nor has the blade presence of the coldsteel.

The Condor Bush Cutlass would lay a person right open, and handles like a sport fencing saber. Also works great in a utility role for lush vegetation and grasses but can't handle woody targets thicker than 1".

For zombies I think you would need to maximize the chopping power so something like what Cody1 showed would do the trick. I imagine the machettes would lay open a zombie but it would keep on coming and then you're done. Another option that comes to mind is a Grosse Messer, cheaper one like Cold Steel. Heck, I might pick a long Dane axe over a sword for these purposes.

For zombies I think you would need to maximize the chopping power so something like what Cody1 showed would do the trick. I imagine the machettes would lay open a zombie but it would keep on coming and then you're done. Another option that comes to mind is a Grosse Messer, cheaper one like Cold Steel. Heck, I might pick a long Dane axe over a sword for these purposes.

Agreed but I don't see a heavier duty machete like some of coldsteel's machetes having trouble with cleaving through tissue and bone. They even have videos of them doing so. I feel that the Coldsteel warhammer would be the best for this purpose and it can be had for 60$.

I think people forget that unless we're talking about supernatural zombies then they would still need their muscles to move and stuff. Cut those and they still can't do a whole lot. They still wouldn't be much more difficult to put down than humans, if not easier since they're not intelligent. I don't care if they supposedly have some sort of rapid regeneration or nonsense like that--the energy has to come from somewhere and at the expense of something. The muscles still have to work, and for that to happen things like the lungs still need to be operational.

A stout machete would easily render bio zombies ineffective, even if not re-dead. :p

Zombie muscles contain high concentrations of Romeroyons: a quantum particle that remains entangled with its pair even when the physical connection is severed, allowing the muscles to keep working even after a limb is severed. There are only two sure recourses for dealing with zeds...

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg

Good points. All damage will count. Still, I guess I would value the heavier weapons with 3/16" to 1/4" spines to facilitate dismemberment and head cleaves. Long reach would be important, too.

As the mortality of zombies continues to be completely hypothetical, laughter is going to be effective as any sword.

Anything from Traditional Filipino Weapons.

Attachments

• Filipino_MAGUINDANAO_KRIS_SWORD.19181349_std.jpg
    Filipino_MAGUINDANAO_KRIS_SWORD.19181349_std.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I think people forget that unless we're talking about supernatural zombies then they would still need their muscles to move and stuff. Cut those and they still can't do a whole lot. They still wouldn't be much more difficult to put down than humans, if not easier since they're not intelligent. I don't care if they supposedly have some sort of rapid regeneration or nonsense like that--the energy has to come from somewhere and at the expense of something. The muscles still have to work, and for that to happen things like the lungs still need to be operational.

A stout machete would easily render bio zombies ineffective, even if not re-dead. :p

I agree with this. Human muscle is designed to operate under very specific circumstances. Not only would a zombie need a functioning brain, it would need a beating heart as well...with warm blood...muscles cannot function without warm blood being pumped into the tissue. I don't think a zombie would be a dead body walking around; it would have to be living tissue...a living person that was somehow brainwashed/brain-dead.

Check out the article on National Geographic about "zombie ants." This fungus apparently takes over control of their brain functions. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/pictures/110303-zombie-ants-fungus-new-species-fungi-bugs-science-brazil

I agree with this. Human muscle is designed to operate under very specific circumstances. Not only would a zombie need a functioning brain, it would need a beating heart as well...with warm blood...muscles cannot function without warm blood being pumped into the tissue. I don't think a zombie would be a dead body walking around; it would have to be living tissue...a living person that was somehow brainwashed/brain-dead.

Check out the article on National Geographic about "zombie ants." This fungus apparently takes over control of their brain functions. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/pictures/110303-zombie-ants-fungus-new-species-fungi-bugs-science-brazil

Yes and don't forget all of the various parasites that hijack the bodies of their hosts. I'm surprised that that angle isn't more played out in the genre given its widespread popularity and countless iterations. One of the reasons why I generally like my zombie films a little on the comic side is because when they try to be realistic it almost always just falls flat on its face from a scientific/biological standpoint and I can't suspend disbelief. :p

Yes and don't forget all of the various parasites that hijack the bodies of their hosts. I'm surprised that that angle isn't more played out in the genre given its widespread popularity and countless iterations. One of the reasons why I generally like my zombie films a little on the comic side is because when they try to be realistic it almost always just falls flat on its face from a scientific/biological standpoint and I can't suspend disbelief. :p

Actually, there are zombie purists who would claim that 28 Days Later is not a zombie film *because* the Infected are not animated corpses.

I think there's basically three types of zombie movies.

-The first and oldest have zombies that are created one at a time by voodoo doctor, who uses his or her powers to kill, re-animate and control a victim or victims. These zombies can usually be restored to life if the voodoo doctor's spell can be broken.

-The second wave of zombie movies follow the trail blazed by George Romero in Night of the Living Dead and feature outbreaks of reanimated corpses that act on primitive instinct and vague memories of life. (The tag line for NotLD's sequel, Day of the Dead was: "When there is no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth").These are the strongest and most influential branch of the zombie movie.

-The third wave are films like 28 Days Later or Resident Evil that borrow the mass epidemic aspect of the second wave but have some more disease-like mechanism to explain the spread of this zombie plague. These zombies often succumb to more mundane methods of killing than the ol' "remove the head or destroy the brain".

So clearly our choice of weapon will depend on knowing which of the three we are going to be facing as well as their average footspeed.

Or you can just go with the classic twelve-gauge, double-barreled Remington from S-Mart and a chainsaw.

I Have been doing this for a couple years now.
This is the Dragon's tooth Battle Blade Cpm 3V, HT with Cryo, RC tested at 57, 24" blade 10" handle, balance 2.5" in front of guard. More examples on my C3 knives site.
IMG_7966.jpg

IMG_7968.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

This is My Walking Dead Decapitator (WDD) .25" CPM3V golok
IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8107.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

For upclose the Walking Dead Death Dealer WDDD Bowie .25" CPM 3V, All blades are convex ground.
IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8159.jpg

My personal set.
IMG_8202.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys the pics.

Nice blades cody1!!

Poleax, if you haven't picked up that cutlass machete already, I'll heartily recommend it. I just got one (with the special plus option) and it's a fun little beast. It's pretty snowy here in the Midwest right now, but as it warms up I'll be giving it a workout.

Back