Tantos, a serious discussion?

The American tanto is one of my favorite blade shapes. I wasn't sure what I'd think of them, so I tried one, an Emerson Mini CQC-7BW -- and wound up carrying it for 10 months straight.

I love the yokote (sub-tip) for opening packages and the robust primary tip that I can use without reservation. The front edge is surprisingly useful for small tasks. I don't tend to come across many situations where I wish I had some belly, so its absence isn't really a downside for me. I love the look of the blade, too, particularly the way Emerson grinds them.

Carrying the Mini did make me realize that I'd prefer a slightly longer blade, and a non-chisel primary bevel, so after experimenting with a couple of other knives I circled back to the CQC-7V. I've been carrying this one for a month and it's perfect for me.

HAcJPdh.jpg

I'm surprised on how many people like the Americanized tanto. I've always thought of it as the ugly step-child tanto shape, haha. That's not to say it doesn't have its uses, or that they're all made equal. I've been itching for a mini grip tanto with M4 steel lately.

I do love the Japanese tanto, all that belly with a overly strong tip. Great for slices and stabs all the while looking great doing it.

I've never owned or tried a Tanto blade of any kind. Just never really appealed to me. I'll keep it in mind though for a future purchase. I'd like to at least give it a try someday.

Chisel ground tantos like the cqc7 are my favourites. Great for scraping and general abuse. And like you have said, easy to sharpen up again with those two straight edges.

I have a elishewitz recurve chisel ground tanto which is a cutting beast.

Worked on the docks way back when, and got myself the Benchmade SpecWar, their version of the CQC-7.

That tanto was indestructible. I could pry staples from lumber stacks, stab the tip into piling to sound them, scratch cut marks in timbers etc.

A real blue collar knife that was. Haven't gotten me another one since, though. Really don't know why.

I have mixed feelings on the American tanto but do enjoy a true tanto blade. I prefer the curved edges more and the more natural transition of a traditional tanto. I prefer on an American tanto a more pointed tip and less angular flat/straight edges which is funny given I love a good flat edge wharncliffe.

My favorite is the Cold Steel Recon Tanto. :cool: It has (IMO) all of the tanto advantages plus a bit of belly.:thumbsup: The fact is , however, that out of around 450 knives I can only think of 5 tantos in my collection; I must not be too thrilled about them, though I'm not sure why. :( Maybe all of my katanas, wakis and, well, tantos :) (most have a tanto point) filled my urge. ;) Again, I highly recommend the CS Recon Tanto. :thumbsup: Nice thread. :D

FE672256-35E5-43EF-A130-02F374A3107F.jpeg FA7C7DDE-5DF7-468D-A889-FEEA27249CA7.jpeg D2574676-19AF-47B4-8622-CD48203D67E3.jpeg I have a few, and find them very useful at work or opening large boxes.
Don’t find them terribly difficult to maintain, never reprofiled one.
My favorites are the CRK and the Lum Benchmade.
The Mcusta is a fantastic slicer.
Joe

I use a group of large knives in my construction work. I don't use a tanto knife much, but have found one that I use when doing a lot of finish wood work.

timthumb.php

This knife was gifted to me, and thankfully so. I didn't know anything about this particular knife and had always connected "tanto" to "mall ninja". Not so here.

This knife came with lovely edges and is really easy to touch up. I use it when I am doing trim, molding application, cabinetry, etc. Look at the tip; doesn't it just scream wood chisel? I can use the parallel edge to sharpen m pencils, do light trimming and other wood cutting tasks.

I use the tip like a chisel and clean up wood surface defects. I hold the knife in my hand put the tip of my finger just behind the point and use it like a sharp chisel. With the fine edge, it cuts better and leaves a finer surface than some of my chisels, plus it is always in my pocket.

I can use the edge parallel to the spine to trim moldings, sharpen my pencils, and all kinds of other slicey things.

I like it specifically for that purpose, but have to say in an effort to preserve the tip edge I don't use that knife unless I am doing trim work.

Robert

An interesting discussion. I know there are some traditionalists who scoff at the American-Tanto design. I also realize marketing created some of the animosity towards all Tanto designed knives. I think my first one was a BM/Emerson CQC7 from the early 90's (I still have it!) and just loved the "aggressive look". I never cared for the "chisel grind" much, but since I like Emerson knives, I learned to tolerate it.

I probably own a dozen or so different "Tanto" designs. To be honest, I'm indifferent. I don't necessarily seek them out, but if the knife design has other qualities I like, the blade shape doesn't bother me much. I've used Tanto blades in the field and never felt "under knifed" or disadvantaged with them...they function just fine for various "bushcraft" tasks or regular field cutting needs. I think many disproved the "penetration" qualities, but it's still a good advertising point. They do look more aggressive, but are not really a more defensive (or offensive?) knife design.

Cold Steel gets criticism at times and rightfully so, but I do have an older Cold Steel Mater Tanto. I really just love the lines and design. Sure, I can bitch about the Kraton handle and the over-the-top marketing, but I really love that knife for some reason. Maybe it was that add in the 90's gun and knife magazines with the guy at the poker table getting ready to use his Tanto; or maybe it was my 18E (commo chief) working for me who was a big ass Samoan who carried one daily at work and in the field.

The cut, that's the simple truth. We have some many incredible and diverse blade designs these days that we can all find something which appeals to us personally and is still a functional cutting tool; the Tanto design is just one of them. I never had an issue with those that just didn't find them appealing or maybe even skeptical of the design, but to get your panties in a wad over a blade shape to the point of raised blood pressure arguing about it is pretty ridiculous. I will say that some knife designs do look better with that "American-Tanto" blade...and I'm not abashed to say it.

ROCK6

Honestly I am not sure where the idea that the tanto will penetrate better comes from, but I have some ideas.

Tantos have previously been advertized as a "knife that is good for stabbing". I believe the claim was and still is that their robust tip shape makes them able to stab viciously in combat without worrying about snapping the tip off. You know, incase your enemy is wearing body armour made out of car doors.

Somehow people read these claims and I believe misunderstood them and it has evolved into a sort of urban legend "tantos penetrate in some superior fashion."

The American tanto is one of my favorite blade shapes. I wasn't sure what I'd think of them, so I tried one, an Emerson Mini CQC-7BW -- and wound up carrying it for 10 months straight.

I love the yokote (sub-tip) for opening packages and the robust primary tip that I can use without reservation. The front edge is surprisingly useful for small tasks. I don't tend to come across many situations where I wish I had some belly, so its absence isn't really a downside for me. I love the look of the blade, too, particularly the way Emerson grinds them.

Carrying the Mini did make me realize that I'd prefer a slightly longer blade, and a non-chisel primary bevel, so after experimenting with a couple of other knives I circled back to the CQC-7V. I've been carrying this one for a month and it's perfect for me.

HAcJPdh.jpg

I have have 2 Cqc7vs. As a pocket knife it is one of my all time favourite designs. My only complaint being it is too thick and so that is why I MUST GET an HD7 but have had no luck so far.

Anyway the top cqc7v is a knife I learned to sharpen knives on. I was at the time determined to turn the 7v into a V edge to match the v grind. Here you see where I stupidly messed up and recurved the main edge.
niLB8tu.jpg

The top knife is the reground one obviously. I totally ruined the edge to the point of frustration. So I copped out and took it to my local pro. He put the current rediculous mirror edge on it so now I have my true v ground/edged cqc7v I thought I always wanted. Well minus the recurve.
OAg8VZD.jpg

Around this time I start to realize how much I liked the chisel grind. Not just the edge but a flat backed chisel like on my cqc7b (which I lost)

So I just bought this cqc7f flipper a few months ago to try out.
HaclTeK.jpg

My first Tanto was also my first Kershaw, my first modern(ish) knife, my first assisted opener, and my first knife over $50....The Kershaw Blur, tanto combo edge. Bought it on a whim late night store run while on vacation. It just looked interesting, and I was in need of a decent knife.

Since then, I've decided that for my every day needs, I prefer an edge with a belly. But have still purchased a few more tantos over the years since. Also decided that I have little use of combo edges. I don't cut a lot of rope, but when I do, one inch of serrations seems to just get in the way instead of help. I've also really taken a liking to odd derivatives with minimal belly and a strong puncture worthy tip....Such as the ZT 0456.

Anyway... My most recent knife purchase was a ZT 0055. Does that count as a modified tanto? It was purchased more as a curiosity than a specific need, or even use in mind. My intrigue is obviously not quenched just yet, as I'm still carrying it.

es57gp.jpg

2wp8gt0.jpg

152jhb8.jpg

I've just never found an advantage with the American Tanto design. I've tried a couple and they've been...nice. But they're gone now. For slicing and cleaning tasks a traditional Tanto or Drop Point seems to work better. I haven't noticed an advantage of the boxy 'American Tanto' in poking things, either. In fact, the obtuse angle I see on many 'American Tantos' seems to puncture less well than a Drop Point, Clip Point,....or Seax...or Dagger.

I would hazard a guess that the tanto's thick point makes it a better pry tool. ....but...I'm not a big fan of prying with a knife. YMMV.

A while ago I read that the American tanto blade shape is good for removing stickers from car windshields and I have used a cheap Kershaw Brawler for that. However, I did not find it advantageous to other blade shapes even for that task. American Tanto does look more intimidating than most other blade shapes.

I like them for the same reason most do, I use the front edge to scrape but they're a bit of a pain to sharpen and keep the point between the blades sharp.

I have 2. A zt 0620 and a cold steel recon folder. I like the little bit of curve on the 0620. The recon came razor sharp. I carry one at night if I'm out and about. I'll usually have a delica as well. They can be very useful in different cutting situations. Although as we all know it would be hard for things like skinning.

I like them for the same reason most do, I use the front edge to scrape but they're a bit of a pain to sharpen and keep the point between the blades sharp.

If you sharpen the two edges seperately then it is easy to keep the secondary point sharp.

Despite this on a chisel grind Emerson tanto it is still less sharpening overall as you only are sharpening one side.

I've got a few CQC-7 B's and I continue to keep buying them ... but I typically EDC a CQC7 A blade as it is a more practical user.

It would be nice if the chisel grind was the other way around on the B blades, but it's not a big deal. I've been thinking of making my own blade for one of the 7's to this effect.

I have number of knives with tanto blades. Can someone explain how an American Tanto differs from other tanto blades? Or perhaps the unique design features of an American Tanto?

Here's what I have. Are they all American tanto's?
- Emerson CQC-15
- Buck Marksman
- HTM Axis
- Southern Grind Bad Monkey
- Brian Tighe and Friends Tighe Fighter (small)
- Tops/Buck CSAR-T

Ok, and I have to courage to admit I also have a Quartermaster Mr. Furley (which I now suspect may be a Chinese Tanto if there is such a thing (-:

Pre-thanks for the free education on this topic. And please don't bombard me with offers to buy my Mr. Furley.

Back