Tell me about Busse knives

(The INFI secret recipe has changed at least once, and some claim more than that. The old school INFI was super tough, and held an edge a long time even through outright abuse. It also wasn’t hard to sharpen.

I firmly stand by the original recipe INFI as being one of the best steels I’ve ever personally used. The new stuff is not as good. It’s just not. I don’t know what they changed, but it was not for the better) I wasnt aware of this; how do you know the steel was changed, and how can you tell that its not as good as it was ?

(The INFI secret recipe has changed at least once, and some claim more than that. The old school INFI was super tough, and held an edge a long time even through outright abuse. It also wasn’t hard to sharpen.

I firmly stand by the original recipe INFI as being one of the best steels I’ve ever personally used. The new stuff is not as good. It’s just not. I don’t know what they changed, but it was not for the better) I wasnt aware of this; how do you know the steel was changed, and how can you tell that its not as good as it was ?
Jerry I believe has mentioned that they have changed the steel over the years. I just don't know when the cutoff is.

Here is an old thread about it:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/infi-vs-modified-infi.85501/

When I tried to sell my new Busse - Son of Badger for just less than I paid, it didn't sell. So I started using it, and I'm glad it turned out that way. Great outdoor/camp/truck/beater type knife. I mean I'm sure you can check all those boxes at half the price, but I do love the knife. YMMV20201009_194052.jpg
Recycled pic

When did they stop making the original secret recipe?

I have no idea the exact time period it happened, but I know I’ve compared stuff from late 90’s - early 2000’s to stuff made recently (within the past 5 years) and it doesn’t seem the same. To the archives? :D

I wasnt aware of this; how do you know the steel was changed, and how can you tell that its not as good as it was ?

I know it was changed because Jerry Busse said it was. See the thread unwisefool unwisefool posted (and a few others).

How I can tell it’s not as good as it was (to me) is that I’ve owned and used several in both formulas. The old stuff’s simply better in my usage. Sure, it’s just my opinion, but not one I’ve formed for no reason.

That sucks to hear about this change;and the knives were a little less expensive back then, with a better steel. Now they are much more expensive with a lesser steel.

That sucks to hear about this change;and the knives were a little less expensive back then, with a better steel. Now they are much more expensive with a lesser steel.

Pretty much my sentiments. Their new knives are not bad, don’t get me wrong. They’re great, but they ain’t what they used to be. (IMHO, of course. YMMV)

at least with Busse-kin, there is the option of ordering off the website for some models.

if a new model does come out that you like, you gotta call in at 9pm on a certain night and try to get get one before they are gone.; call too early and go to the back of the line.

There are Busses available direct from the website and have been now for some time. Just FYI. Over the past two years there have been more models offered direct in larger numbers than ever before. So in all honesty, availability is not an argument today (but could be tomorrow - being a realist).

It's no secret that I am a fan, I have "a number" of Busses and have been more than happy with models that range from very small/thin to "quite large" and all in between. My B4 (.18 thick) has dressed more deer than many will see in a lifetime of hunting and still wears the factory (more than shaving sharp) edge it came with - it has been stropped and steeled but not on a stone or belt. I have "a couple" of ASH1s and it is by far my favourite all round knife (I agree it does no one task "brilliantly" but is a good jack of many). I have happily dressed a number of deer with a .32 version with little trouble. I am no steel expert but INFI has served me well for the past decade across many tasks. As for it being modified A8 I believe that Jerry disputed that but my recollection could be wrong.

in *my* opinion (worth everything you are paying for it) they are well made knives from a great all round steel backed by a brilliant warranty. Knives are like women (or men if your tastes so run) each of us will see and want something different. Honestly these day we are spoilt for choice in quality knives.

Ive often wondered why i dont see these knives being used by Cody lundin,Les Stroud or Dave Canterbury.Figured if they were so great or the ultimate why do they use Blind Horse,Buck 119 and a wood handled Mora among others ?

Personal taste, sponsorship, choice. All applicable to TV/media personalities and us individuals. I never said they were the "ultimate" knife but they are simply *my* choice.

You sound cynical. :confused:

1. Go to their website.
2. Select the knife you want.
3. Hit the 'buy' button.

Not too arcane.

Just seen it before. With respect to the ordering, I will take your word for it. Once upon a time it was those Ganza things or a riot around the Busse table at a knife show if you wanted one. Glad to here that has apparently changed for the better.

Ive often wondered why i dont see these knives being used by Cody lundin,Les Stroud or Dave Canterbury.Figured if they were so great or the ultimate why do they use Blind Horse,Buck 119 and a wood handled Mora among others ?

Dave Canterbury used a Busse Basic 11 in the Botswana Hippo Island episode. The Basic 11 is a great chopper, light weight. Shock absorbing handle out if Resiprine C (best "rubber" handle material I've ever used. Super durable)

Cody seems to like a cheap Mora, or custom pukos.

Many of the survival guys seem to use a knife they help design, or hock for a piece of the action.

Even Cody Lundin has a scandi knife from tops that supposedly he helped design and gets compensated for.

If you think the Bear Grylls "Ultimate" knife by Gerber is a great survival knife, I've got some swamp land property to sell you!!

Classic designs like the mora are good cutting tools for very cheap.

Pukos are a classic design.

I like Pukos my self. Even made my own.

I do like a bigger chopper combined with smaller detail knife.

If I need to process more hardwood, I might take a Silky saw.

Overpriced, and then you need to have a quality sheath made to even take the knife into the woods

Overpriced is subjective. They sell. And even better, often resell without significant loss in value as long as you donr buy at inflated prices.

The sheath thing makes more sense when you start looking at the numbers many collectors buy.

One (who shall remain anonymous) bought 27 of a single model. When buying multiples, an extra 30-60 per sheath makes less sense.

It did nudge me into making my own leather sheaths.

P64YWXZ.jpg

UJBEnMa.jpg

YVmScjG.jpg

Daryl uses them to kill walkers all the time !

For a bigger knife, I prefer the res-c handles. They are very comfortable and light although mine are from Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard...which are also less expensive than Busse Combat.

If I had it to do all over again in knife buying, I would buy a Swamp Rat Battle Rat, Camp Tramp, Howling Rat and Bandicoot...close my account and run for it. Would save myself thousands of dollars.

Ok...and maybe a couple Winklers...and Fiddlebacks...oh, and I love my Bensinger barong...and RMJ....and gotta have my Joe Watson magnis. Oh dang! I'm back in! :eek:

I like big choppers.

I would never buy a BUSSE! The handles look like very uncomfortable hotspot makers to me.

Look into Scott Gossman and Gossman Knives for hard use choppers. Great guy and great tool. I’m done spending hundreds on choppers though. I just can’t justify the cost anymore.

I’m done spending hundreds on choppers though. I just can’t justify the cost anymore.

I mean you could just do what I did and spend about $250 for one chopper and just use that knife going forward. Just buy one nice one and you're done.

I mean you could just do what I did and spend about $250 for one chopper and just use that knife going forward. Just buy one nice one and you're done.

I'm all set on choppers for now with my ESEE Junglas, BK9, Ontario SP53, and Aurora Borealis Kodiak Chopper. (Which combined, may still be cheaper than 1 Busse)

But, I'm curious as to what is you $250 chopper suggestion?

I'm all set on choppers for now with my ESEE Junglas, BK9, Ontario SP53, and Aurora Borealis Kodiak Chopper. (Which combined, may still be cheaper than 1 Busse)

But, I'm curious as to what is you $250 chopper suggestion?
Well my $250 chopper is a Busse B11, so I was going to suggest that or the AB Kodiak, buuuuut since you already have it you are good to go

27 of one model,is that really necessary? i can barely justify 2 different ones....

Necessary ....no..... most all of us could get by for our needs with one or two knives. Desirable or makes the buyer happy....then hell yes. The joy of all this is no one makes any of us spend our money on these things unless we choose to do so.....

Back