Off Topic that one gun

That ONE gun, for me, will always be my scoped IZH-35M. The size, weight, reliability, and practical accuracy make it the ultimate game-getter in my book. Chambered in .22lr, it has a 1.5 lb trigger and uses 10/22 action springs.

ozRmJMR.jpg

If pressed to choose a second, more serious weapon, I’d take the 527 carbine in 7.62x39 with its FX-II 2.5x20mm ultralight scope. It has a 1.5 lb trigger and uses 5rd mags.

RZrIy5Y.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to argue with the 870 choice, lots of versatility there.

I think I’d go with an old Marlin 39. Probably my Centennial, can I take a single six too?

OOOoooh, the straight stock on a 39. I have the 39M. :D

That 529 looks sweet. I was lusting after one in 5.56 or the long action in 6.5x55, but ended up (unexpectedly) with a model-70 in .222 and am content. Just gotta figure out how to scope the thing. My go-to .22LR bolt rifle is a 20" (modified) CZ-452-ZKM, and I can't say enough good things about the CZ line.

Shotguns are super versatile. 20ga semi for me. Haven't hunted with this one, tho, and the pump is gone. But an afternoon of sporting clays with a 20ga semi is downright civilized.

daizee daizee

Nice! Those 452 have become pretty desireable lately! I gravitated toward the unloved middle generation-the 455 series-but they’ve been stellar for me and I like them fine. I’m using the little Leupold 28mm objective rimfire scopes in a now discontinued Warne/Brownells 7.3 low ring.

z74m7fH.jpg

I agree! 20ga trap is great. I recently downsized to a CZ Redhead Premier in 20ga. I know it’s not ideal, but I thought it would be fun to practice with my theoretical field gun. (It’s been ages since I hunted quail on the family farm in Eastern WA) I had a difficult time breaking clays cleanly until I invested in some extended aftermarket chokes. I haven’t tried sporting clays with it yet.

Last edited:
That's a sweet set!
My 452 has the military style rear ladder too, which was part of the appeal. I cut the barrel back and installed an M1 Carbine front sight. Nice tight barrel, and and honest 1400fps chrony'd with CCI Velocitors, grouping 1MOA at 50yd scoped off the bench. But it only wears irons these days, as it was set up to be a field gun. Never took a bunny with it, tho, and I always want to hug 'em instead of eat 'em anyway.

daizee daizee … Thanks!

Also, you can’t describe interesting mods like that without posting pics!

My first CZ was a 452 Trainer, long since sold, which I just shot with the factory irons. It wore a nylon sling and I used to carry it when hiking around the valley. It’s been interesting to watch those 452 become collectible in recent years.

I think a couple different ways reading this thread. From the first post I take it as not necessarily the one gun you would take that is the most versatile, but maybe the one you cherish and or shoot the best?

My first thought was similar to a few replies and it would be a shotgun with interchangeable barrels and chokes. I can take everything from small upland game, birds and waterfowl, to deer, and large even dangerous game, and can use for self defense against any threats. The choice of which of my shotgun combos might be a bit tougher.

My second thought was along the OPs line of what one gun I might shoot best or that I could make fairly versatile. And taking into consideration where I live now, what game is available, and other factors, that might very well be one of the simplest and least valuable (money wise) guns that I have. I have an old Mossberg 152 22LR. This was the first non BB gun I learned to shoot with. I grew up carrying it on my trap line and hunting and I still enjoy carrying it from time to time. I have several much nicer, fancier guns that perform better at longer ranges etc... but I have taken about every kind of game you can in the midwest with this Mossberg rifle.

A 22 can do a lot more than many today give it credit for. It's light and so is the ammo. So for other reasons this old rifle may very well be a consideration, dependant on the circumstances of why I needed to choose one.

daizee daizee … Thanks!

Also, you can’t describe interesting mods like that without posting pics!

My first CZ was a 452 Trainer, long since sold, which I just shot with the factory irons. It wore a nylon sling and I used to carry it when hiking around the valley. It’s been interesting to watch those 452 become collectible in recent years.

Heh, yeah, I probably have some pix around *somewhere*, but lighting inside my house is terrible and everything's locked away.
Hmm, might still have the links on rimfirecentral, I'll go look.

I must have bought this thing 15 years ago now, for maybe $185 used?
The whole point of buying it was to make a better field gun than my similar Savage 4C, but shorter barrel, no front sight/hood that could be pulled off in the NE woods, actually adjustable sights, and a decent trigger. Before hacking 4" off the barrel, I took it to the range to get a baseline sense of the thing, and shot a 3/4" group with it offhand at 50yd with open sights... Almost didn't do the surgery after that magic moment.

Wow, hadn't logged in there since 2012. Knifemaking really took over my hobbylife.
Marginally better pictures on page 2: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215062

daizee daizee … That looks amazing!

I don’t think I’d have had the guts to chop that down, even in the pursuit of an ultimate field gun. 3/4” groups at 50yds aren’t something I can do offhand with my own Trainer, but I think that’s mostly just me…

daizee daizee … That looks amazing!

I don’t think I’d have had the guts to chop that down, even in the pursuit of an ultimate field gun. 3/4” groups at 50yds aren’t something I can do offhand with my own Trainer, but I think that’s mostly just me…

I knew enough to pack up and go home immediately after that, muttering "eh, better last weekend" just loud enough so the old dudes could hear me. 😆

But seriously, the hang of that 24" barrel, all that sight radius, and those excellent sights were quite a combo.

I'm in Northwest Arkansas, with the trees and hills we have less than 100 yards of visibility 90% of the time. I have used this Springfield Armory TRP for IDPA compition and Daily carry for over 10 years. I'm not a master but I do have a wall full of plaques this gun has won. So after 20,000-30,000+ rounds of use under pressure and knowing I can put a hole in a beer can at 50 yards and a torso shot at 100 yards. This is the one Gun I will have with me.

Attachments

• BSO Guns (7).jpg
    BSO Guns (7).jpg
    293 KB · Views: 10
well. hopefully one of those break open single shot rifles with the exchangeable barrel counts.

if so I'd grab a
.308 18'' barrel
12 gauge shotgun barrel various ammo
.357 barrel

🤷‍♂️

ot just a 6'' barrel .410 revolver with various ammo

Ruger 10/22 or the MKII would be my choice. Light and very accurate :thumbsup::thumbsup: No Grizzlies in my neck of the woods:oops:
View attachment 1694726
How is the failure to feed and eject with the Ruger? Iv had major all the way to minor issues with ever semi auto 22 I have ever used. See below lol

Probably my Taurus Tx-22. Its light, holds 16 rounds of 22lr and is (mostly) reliable.

tx22_002_nraw_tx22mp_standard.jpg

Back