Off Topic that one gun

How is the failure to feed and eject with the Ruger? Iv had major all the way to minor issues with ever semi auto 22 I have ever used. See below lol

Probably my Taurus Tx-22. Its light, holds 16 rounds of 22lr and is (mostly) reliable.

tx22_002_nraw_tx22mp_standard.jpg
Haven’t had any failures to feed or eject that I can remember. Other than a dud round not firing once in a while. Before our local gun range closed they had a plinking section. Shot hundreds of rounds maybe thousands there. I would say Ruger’s are excellent and very reliable. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Golf Balls were probably my favorite targets. Used to be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 22/45 from probably the first year they were produced. Second year, at the latest. I've shot hundred and hundreds of rounds through that gun and never had one problem with it. It has eaten and ejected every 22LR round I've put through it. Shorts, not so much. But you don't expect it to shoot 22Shorts with complete aplomb.

Never had any issues with any of the half dozen or so Ruger pistols I've owned. Nor any issues with any of my Browning Buckmarks.

I would really be all over a nice/quality over/under with a center fire rifle barrel and a 12 ga. shotgun barrel.
I'm partial to the .300 Winchester Magnum but .338 Win Mag, .30-06, .308 or just about anything else in the realm would suite me just fine.

If a reasonably short/handy over & under (24 - 28" barrels) could have one barrel in a stout centerfire cartridge - I'd be all over it.

The foregoing and, of course a .44 Magnum revolver.

The weight of ammo is something to consider 500 rounds of 22 is close to just 50 rounds of 12 ga, give or take a few :oops: For wondering around in the woods on foot for a month :rolleyes:I’ll take that weight savings. I know I’d be having some sort protein to eat at least.

Here we are two years later and my choice may become a revolver…

Either Ruger SS GP100 4” barrel with Gold bead front and V-notch rear sights in .357 or Ruger Stainless Single Six with mag cylinder and a bunch of ammo.

theres a cool new ar out there that shoots 5.7mm x 28 rounds.
its top loading and bottom ejecting through the magazine well. if you modify an old ar mag you can shoot and not have to pick up your brass

theres a cool new ar out there that shoots 5.7mm x 28 rounds.
its top loading and bottom ejecting through the magazine well. if you modify an old ar mag you can shoot and not have to pick up your brass
Not that new. They were originally out years ago before ammo was more commonly available. My Friend has one and it’s a super fun gun! With a suppressor it’s one of the quietest center fire rifles I’ve ever heard. Plenty of power close in and zero recoil. Makes a lot of sense 👍

If I was out for a month, I believe I’d have to give the nod to my 10-22. My go to is the one I’ve set up as a Liberty Rifle. It’s stainless steel with a Hogue stock, Ruger BX trigger, and an M16 style sling. I’ve also upgraded the sights to Tech Sights AR style irons. Game laws aside, pretty much anything edible can be taken in my neck of the woods. For defense, a face full of 22lr is a very persuasive argument.

The carry of one gun in the woods is G-40 for hunting and woods defense with a nitrided KKM barre that can handled wider bullets and fully supported full power 10mm and a specialized RSA that makes it shoot like a 9mm recoil wise. It full fills the need for a carbine and lets my hands be free. After dry firing so long on deer out the window I got good with the basic irons it came with, just recently going to get a holo sight finally. For the one blade the BK4 works well or the 9 or the 2/72 types. Of course the a CS code 4 and recon 1 ride along as well. This is for a woods walking also I have taken deer with it as the deer aren't use to a "Thunder Twig" they don't run right way and I don't let any witnesses go to tell other deer to watch out for the evil two legger with the "Thunder Twig." If the local deer see you with a "Thunder Stick" or even a walking stick that could be a "Thunder Stick". They bolt and run no matter what. Wood defense wise, mostly the odd feral dog that mostly that survive the nature anti-bodies that take out the larger packs. Also some other large wild critters. One that don't make trouble are the nature anti-bodies that keeps woods safe by chasing away the damn cougar and deal with problem bears. 😇

I'll stick with my original post of my Springfield TRP. But I have added a Registered SBR AR15 10.5" to my options. I have found the accuracy out to 300 yards more than acceptable and I can toss in the 22LR bolt kit and it will hold 1/2" at 25 yards ... for me that that is good enough for a 22LR.
I can toss this rifle, a couple of mags the 22 kit and a brick of 22s into my Get Home backpack and feel good... YMMV... but the TRP will still be on my hip...

My Ruger 10/22 would be my choice, and it is a blast to shoot.
s2JrDMW.jpeg
That's the cleanest KaBar BK5 I have seen... Now I'm going to have to dig out some of mine... but I still like the original better

I guess the Ruger New Bearcat Shopkeeper if space is an issue... Basic/should be reliable, pretty compact and I'd hope to be able to fill the extra space with boxes of ammo. (Sorry bears/larger varmints...) Don't mess with me/I won't suffer you to go through my efforts to defend myself with a .22.

If space/ammunition isn't an issue, then I suppose the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 Winchester as that's what I understand it was designed for: it's supposed to be "the one rifle to have if you could have only one."

Back