The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

New titanium liner delete scales, backspacer, and clip from Lynch NW for the M4 Spyderco Delica. :)

3x68XPM.jpg

eQBzUMO.jpg

r3mMqqO.jpg

ZsasXni.jpg

oUIdNUv.jpg

all but the tip up carry and choil.

You know, the world has largely gone tip-up. That's fine for me in the right pants pocket but in a rear, chest, or vest pocket; I like tip-down. I just rarely see it offered these days.

It's sort of like DA/SA handgun actions. While still popular in other parts of the world, new models are quite rare in the United States. It is totally absent in the current generation of subcompact carry guns. There was maybe one mainstream model in the generation of compacts that preceded it. Decocker-only DA/SA is even rarer, despite being arguably the safest way to carry. It's a shame.

The choil though, it's definitely bigger than it needs to be for a sharpening choil while being too small for a finger choil. I can't be sure from eyeballing it, but part of that might be about keeping the heel of the blade away from the rear scale edge when closed. If so, that's a good thing. I've seen too many folders over the years where the heel of the blade gets right up around the edge, including when it's right below a slippery flipper fab. The fix is sometimes to expand the length of the choil. 🤷‍♂️ (The experience that some companies seem to never do that makes me think that those companies might have not doing that as an internal design standard.)

New scales for the Z-Wear Spyderco Mule Team!

These were made by RC BladeWorks out of some vintage, Current Composites brown canvas that I had on hand. Pretty stoked with how they turned out. :)

Lbi3Wxu.jpg

rx3gzlP.jpg

Those turned out fantastic, Brian! Boom!!

You know, the world has largely gone tip-up. That's fine for me in the right pants pocket but in a rear, chest, or vest pocket; I like tip-down. I just rarely see it offered these days.

It's sort of like DA/SA handgun actions. While still popular in other parts of the world, new models are quite rare in the United States. It is totally absent in the current generation of subcompact carry guns. There was maybe one mainstream model in the generation of compacts that preceded it. Decocker-only DA/SA is even rarer, despite being arguably the safest way to carry. It's a shame.

The choil though, it's definitely bigger than it needs to be for a sharpening choil while being too small for a finger choil. I can't be sure from eyeballing it, but part of that might be about keeping the heel of the blade away from the rear scale edge when closed. If so, that's a good thing. I've seen too many folders over the years where the heel of the blade gets right up around the edge, including when it's right below a slippery flipper fab. The fix is sometimes to expand the length of the choil. 🤷‍♂️ (The experience that some companies seem to never do that makes me think that those companies might have not doing that as an internal design standard.)
I understand what you are saying. I never carry anything in my back pocket after having a wallet stolen in 8th grade . Swore back pockets off completely.i also have had tip down knives come open in my pocket and cut me. No thanks. However, options are nice, but generally reserved for Spyderco nowadays.

FWIW I do like da/sa with a decocker, but even with the LTT drop in trigger and trigger bar, the take up on my Beretta PX4 is more than I care for, and the short reset with little break after takeup can result in unintended double taps. However, I like the PX4 for home defense in DA so I have an extra second to think before I shoot. I usually sling my Tavor on while keeping the Beretta in hand. If it's more than one or two baddies breaking in I can buy time with the PX4 until I get into a defensible position with the Tavor.

I've considered getting an HK P30sk for when I want something slightly larger.

I've considered getting an HK P30sk for when I want something slightly larger.

I was interested in the P30 when it was newer. I'm still a fan of paddle releases, although I prefer the longer paddle on the P99. The P30 felt great in my hand but the stock trigger did not. It rubbed me the wrong way because it was a lot more expensive than other polymer-framed DA/SA options at the time. I also wasn't sure who I would use for a trigger job back then but that was probably over a decade ago.

Now Langdon Tactical is doing a version of the P30SK with different options available. Like their previous work with the PX4, it's a good value and lets you start off with some nice upgrades. I've considered it but I've got too many rods in the fire as it is. 😜

Been fiddling with my Southard for the last hour, trying to tune the action. I put Taco bearings in about a year ago, but was distracted by the three knives I just bought a few weeks before. It's needed loctite bad since then, so it's sat in the case until I finally got it and the Domino out Saturday and loctite the pivots. The Domino has had a bit more use to break in, I'm hoping the Southard will too as it's mediocre right now.

CF scale and over travel stopper, Taco bearings, Titanium clip from MXG. I bought this a few years ago lightly used with the CF scale. I added the clip and bearings. Now it just needs a lift kit and a supercharger.

20230808_002914.jpg20230808_002921.jpg

Back