The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

It is a Spyderco Police Knifecenter Exclusive Hap40/Sus410 dyed black and acid etched and stonewashed
917D3BEB-971E-4054-97C6-7F2469F2983D.jpeg
230E782E-B588-4678-BD80-1E3377B50266.jpegCA071DB1-5120-47D1-B858-C98085E84D74.jpeg2C03B497-87A1-4F2A-ACFC-48B55A5CF6A0.jpeg
Hasn’t been sharpened yet. And not sure if I wanna acid wash the hardware or bronze them..

Edit: Or maybe I’ll leave the hardware alone?………NAH!

Last edited:
Update to making the manual LUDT - added studs since I can't get enough purchase on the fullers. The bearings it runs on have loose balls and I couldn't be bothered to keep placing them with tweezers while working this out. Currently on washers which feels surprisingly good.

action videos here

Attachments

• IMG_6286.jpg
    IMG_6286.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6285.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
Update to making the manual LUDT - added studs since I can't get enough purchase on the fullers. The bearings it runs on have loose balls and I couldn't be bothered to keep placing them with tweezers while working this out. Currently on washers which feels surprisingly good.

action videos here
Awesome job man, very cool!

So I decided to try Ultem with this Kubey Doris. Now I get it. This stuff looks cool and has a friendly feel in my hand. I don't just mean the milling or texturing but the thermal feel. It's nice.

As for mods, the top surface and the transition to it were pretty good but the outer edge where it drops was pretty crisp. I went around and smoothed over that transition. I didn't take care to make it pretty and only took it out to 200ish grit, but Ultem seems to sand very well. It's amazing how much ergonomic difference can be made by just rounding over hard edges and corners.

I also deleted the forward lock-bar jimping. Like a lot of other modern knives, this one followed the trend of having jimping protrude out past the scales like little teeth. I've never gotten a real benefit from that and it usually just creates a row of tiny hot spots. So I got rid of them. I also recessed the surface to match where my thumb or first finger tends to hit it on the close.

The detent is a little strong, which is perfect for thumb or finger flicking off the hole. Unfortunately, that plus aggressive spine jimping makes the front-flipper a little tricky. For instance, I can only reliably use one method of front-flipping this one. This highlights my general dislike for multiple deployment methods, as I rarely find knives that are tuned perfectly to all of them. I decided to leave the lock-bar tension as is.

IIaFPCO.jpg

pTpFuIp.jpg

UiO84mo.jpg

So I bought this beautifully made knife of 1095 and walnut/micarta from the wonderful Tony Mont Tony Mont , and decided I’d make an IWB sheath for it. The sheath turned out pretty good, some lessons learned along the way (not my first rodeo, but I’m a definitely out of practice. It’s IWB anyway, no one’s gonna see it during use). During that process, I noticed my repeated fitting of the blade into the leather was wearing off the acid finish he applied to the blade (which I loved BTW). As I had ruined his handiwork and was kicking myself over it, my fix was to polish the flats of the blade out. Got it somewhere below mirror at this point with some grind lines and forging marks still visible (I think I took it to 1200 wet). While I do have finer grits to use on it, I’m all out of elbow grease for a while. As a carrier/user, I may not go further… but the curiosity will likely get the better of me later.

I just hope Tony doesn’t mind me corrupting his work/artistic vision!

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg
IMG_4377.jpeg

Back