The $100 Traditional Knife Collection—2019 Edition

Hmm interesting thread. It really makes me think. I’ll let it stew for a bit.

Alright, if I was starting a collection from scratch and had 100$ to spend. I would buy a
Case 22087ss It is a black synthetic medium jack. It is a useful size to carry and looks good. Available for 40$
Buck fixed blade. I'd go with a 105, but 102,118,103 and 119special are all available for under 60$

I am usually a fan of natural handle materials, but there is a lot to be said for black plastic-like materials. They put up with a lot of abuse and look good even when worn.

Last edited:
Well, here goes...

Buck 110-$45
384-D531-A-0334-4757-B08-D-73-D94-BF30-DEE.jpg

Victorinox camper-$25.50

EB5742-E2-B55-B-4535-ACD5-5-F80-D541-B4-D7.jpg

Schrade 34OT-$15.50

8909-BF33-EC40-4122-9-A5-C-8-DAC15-E0-AC66.jpg

And last but not least, Victorinox Classic SD-$13.95
For a grand total of $99.95, leaves me a nickel for the gum-ball machine:confused:
DCB523-A6-56-DE-4-ED8-B468-E2-C0-F0-F93841.jpg

Good list, but the 110 is actually about $36 everyday at Wally world.
So you've got an extra $9 to deal with , though I don't know what you can really gain.

Buck 110 (I got mine at the old $28 Walmart price) and a RR Barlow, RR "Zombie Nick" Sunfish, and Canoe, and a RR "Half Hawk", and a large RR Stockman to start.
If there was/is enough left over for a SAK Huntsman, I'd get one of them, too.

These would cover most of the bases.
Victorinox farmer =$43 This knife does a lot in an easily pocketable package.
Buck Bucklite 684 =$23 3.25" blade, pure utilitarian. (For 5 more dollars you could get the 685 with a 4" blade and still be in budget)
Opinel no8 garden =$16 slimmer than the traditional no8.
Rough Rider classic carbon sowbelly =$13 Every collection needs a stockman. Fit and finish on these is superb.
1037526417_o.jpg

gaj999 gaj999
Nice, but that drop point in blue, oh man! Well I'm going to get a prepaid card to re-up my subscription here, and have it ready for when the forum knife drops, think I'm going to have to add another 30 bucks to it:D:thumbsup: Just cant resist a blue droppoint 110;)

Lets face it, Rough Rider makes collecting traditionals a snap. Well made,affordable, many many patterns, often unique jigging and bolster treatment, not afraid to step into the twilight zone (zombie Nick, Blackbeard series) and just my own little opinion, I think they listen to us. I honestly believe that they pay attention to the forums.We bemoan no carbon steel,then carbon is added.We say "I like it but it has a bit of a gap,or off center " ect. And IMHO their QC has improved quite a bit in the last couple years. I feel SMKW keeps a finger on the pulse of our segment of the 'net. After all if they can please a picky bunch like us the rest of the knife buying public will be happy with their purchase as well. Just my two coppers thrown in :thumbsup:

OK, I'll play. I like guidelines, so I include those along with my personal choice, along with the price range if other models are chosen.
First, you've got to get some work done, so I'll continue the Mora trend. My favorite is a Frosts in 0.1" carbon steel. $10-20
Next up is a Vnox SAK. This should be chosen to include whatever tools you need in the size you need. My pick is the Electrician. $20-70
Now that the minimum set of users is complete, we can spend however much is left of our budget on Rough Riders. Choose whichever models appeal, for whatever reason. Until your money is gone.:) I like this Elephant Toe for $16 delivered.
View attachment 1188383
https://imgur.com/a/eeannvC

Creative. And your guidelines fit within the thread guidelines, so, well played. Thanks for including your specific personal picks.

Nice to see another punch on the end Victorinox. :thumbsup:

I was doing some more thinking on this subject, and I really like Vince's minimalist aproach.
If I went minimalist, just knives that would be needed for carry and use, day in and day out, I could get a couple of nice ones...

Case Medium Stockman, offers blade variety and ease of pocket carry, and is acceptable/useful in most every environment... ~$50.00

And a nice Fixed Blade knife for heavier tasks, hunting, etc. Might even ride in the pickup glove box for such emergencies... ~$50.00

I'd say a Knife Person could get by just fine with these two examples. :cool::thumbsup:

A nice simple collection. Which fixed blade would you pick?

Buck 110LT $20
Vic recruit $17
Case 6208 $45
Buck 524 Alumni $18

$100 on the nose.

Pretty decent variety of you ask me, though I couldn't get any carbon steel in because I don't have anything cheap enough or not vintage.

Thanks for sharing. Nice lineup.

These would cover most of the bases.
Victorinox farmer =$43 This knife does a lot in an easily pocketable package.
Buck Bucklite 684 =$23 3.25" blade, pure utilitarian. (For 5 more dollars you could get the 685 with a 4" blade and still be in budget)
Opinel no8 garden =$16 slimmer than the traditional no8.
Rough Rider classic carbon sowbelly =$13 Every collection needs a stockman. Fit and finish on these is superb.
1037526417_o.jpg

Nice! Seems the Alox SAKs are very popular. I don’t own one yet, but that’s going to have to change.

I like the choice of the slimmer No. 8, too. Another one for my someday list. :)

Last edited:
This is tough for me, largely because my strong preference for American and European knives leaves me completely ignorant regarding options from China.

The types of American-made traditionals I prefer would empty my pocket too quickly, so it’s all-Victorinox for me.

Classic. $16. It’s the most popular knife in the world for very good reasons. And it’ll ride in the pocket of your tuxedo trousers without causing a fuss. There is no substitute for this knife.

Compact. $45 (ouch). While this knife has the highest price/tool ratio of the SAKs, it also has the very highest utility/thickness ratio. And that’s not nothing. If I could only carry one knife for the rest of my life, it would be this one. In fact, it *was* the only knife I carried for many years, including a couple of combat tours. Possible substitutes: Climber (to save money, at the cost of an additional tool layer) or Huntsman (for the saw).

Pioneer. $35. If you need a tough folder for outdoorsy tasks, this one is damn near bulletproof. And sometimes you just gotta have an awl. Possible substitutes: Electrician (for the short sheepsfoot blade ) or Farmer (for the saw).

9A4E3E45-A443-4E23-9354-49541A73F798.jpeg

This is tough for me, largely because my strong preference for American and European knives leaves me completely ignorant regarding options from China.

The types of American-made traditionals I prefer would empty my pocket too quickly, so it’s all-Victorinox for me.

Classic. $16. It’s the most popular knife in the world for very good reasons. And it’ll ride in the pocket of your tuxedo trousers without causing a fuss. There is no substitute for this knife.

Compact. $45 (ouch). While this knife has the highest price/tool ratio of the SAKs, it also has the very highest utility/thickness ratio. And that’s not nothing. If I could only carry one knife for the rest of my life, it would be this one. In fact, it *was* the only knife I carried for many years, including a couple of combat tours. Possible substitutes: Climber (to save money, at the cost of an additional tool layer) or Huntsman (for the saw).

Pioneer. $35. If you need a tough folder for outdoorsy tasks, this one is damn near bulletproof. And sometimes you just gotta have an awl. Possible substitutes: Electrician (for the short sheepsfoot blade ) or Farmer (for the saw).

View attachment 1188893

Cool! Our first all-SAK collection. I love the ratios. :)

So...

For me, the answer/s to this question is surely influenced by the intended use. A $100 budget is obviously limiting so I'd think we'd want to understand what we'd want these knives to accomplish.

Also, I will not shop at Walmart so for me, those prices are irrelevant.

And, assuming sharpening is already taken care of, then here's some of my thoughts...

1) MOST VERSATILE:
- Buck 110, ~$46USD: Beast of a knife. Whether it is cutting up an apple at work or field dressing an animal, the 110 will do it all. It can be bulky on a belt and maybe not ideal for all situations, but the standard 110 offers tremendous gives-and-takes. This is an awesome "compromise" blade.

- Victorinox Rambler, ~$26USD: I hate including the Rambler or Classic as knives as for me they are just tools and I'd love them even without a blade, but, of course, technically they are knives. So, here I would pair the 110 with a Rambler.

- The next one is tough, but, I think here I'm going to put a Buck 425, ~$15USD. The Rambler's blade is just too small for much and it might not always be convenient to use or carry the 110. And I know from a lot experience that the 425 punches WAY above it's weight. It's an awesome knife that could only be better if it was offered in orange. ;)

I know I'm leaving $13 on the table here but I think this is a great compromise-setup for most anyone.

2) OUTDOORS ORIENTED:
- Man, I really want to put some Buck PakLites here but I don't think they qualify as "traditional" so I'm leaving them out. Mora's are obviously an attractive and excellent option here but I reckon I'd have to go with a Buck 102 Woodsman, ~$53USD. Great for fish to fowl and adequate for larger game and camp chores. One should be conscious of the potential for the handle to be a bit slick on larger, bloodier game, but it can get the job done. I'm not in love with Buck's modern sheaths but they will do. I could biased here as this was the first knife I ever bought with my own money, more than 40yrs ago, and my daughter totes it around these days.

- I'm going to pair this with a SAK Super Tinker, ~$32USD. Great tool selection for the outdoors or just general use and still easy to carry.

Fifteen bucks on the table for however you want to spend it.

3) GENERAL EDC:
So many options here that I don't know that there's much benefit in giving my opinion. I think a SAK Classic or Rambler is an absolute must. I prefer the Rambler and unless circumstances preclude it, I won't be without one. I use mine every single day, usually multiple times a day. From there it's what's you like. I think a Case Mini Copperlock, Trapper, and Mini Trapper are all excellent options. If a beefier knife were desired then a Copperlock or Tribal Lock.

Just my rambling thoughts. Tons of options out there for sure.

I’m going to have to research prices before I make a complete selection but first a bit of heresy.
I don’t see the need for any SAK’s or other similar multi tools. As a knife it doesn’t compare to anything mentioned so far and as a multi tool it’s a compromise. That’s not a knock, as I own plenty of them. It’s just that they don’t measure up in my opinion.
Again, in my opinion the knife I’d carry (and do) that has the best dollar value is the Douk-Douk. After that it would be a knife that has more of an aesthetic appeal although a step down in utility. I think I’ll leave it at that. A Douk-Douk for $35 and pocket the rest.

I don’t see the need for any SAK’s or other similar multi tools.
I don't own any SAK's, gave my last one away.
I included it because it was a cheap way to go for a Scout category knife.
I wanted to include a Scout style knife because they are a major style for collections here.
But I don't own any SAK's because I don't like to carry such a thick knife on the off-chance I'll have to open a can. :D

Hmm interesting thread. It really makes me think. I’ll let it stew for a bit.

Alright, if I was starting a collection from scratch and had 100$ to spend. I would buy a
Case 22087ss It is a black synthetic medium jack. It is a useful size to carry and looks good. Available for 40$
Buck fixed blade. I'd go with a 105, but 102,118,103 and 119special are all available for under 60$

I am usually a fan of natural handle materials, but there is a lot to be said for black plastic-like materials. They put up with a lot of abuse and look good even when worn.

I hadn’t noticed you’d edited in your collection. Thanks for adding it!

Good point about the black plastic-like materials. I think they are attractive, too.

So...

For me, the answer/s to this question is surely influenced by the intended use. A $100 budget is obviously limiting so I'd think we'd want to understand what we'd want these knives to accomplish.

Also, I will not shop at Walmart so for me, those prices are irrelevant.

And, assuming sharpening is already taken care of, then here's some of my thoughts...

1) MOST VERSATILE:
- Buck 110, ~$46USD: Beast of a knife. Whether it is cutting up an apple at work or field dressing an animal, the 110 will do it all. It can be bulky on a belt and maybe not ideal for all situations, but the standard 110 offers tremendous gives-and-takes. This is an awesome "compromise" blade.

- Victorinox Rambler, ~$26USD: I hate including the Rambler or Classic as knives as for me they are just tools and I'd love them even without a blade, but, of course, technically they are knives. So, here I would pair the 110 with a Rambler.

- The next one is tough, but, I think here I'm going to put a Buck 425, ~$15USD. The Rambler's blade is just too small for much and it might not always be convenient to use or carry the 110. And I know from a lot experience that the 425 punches WAY above it's weight. It's an awesome knife that could only be better if it was offered in orange. ;)

I know I'm leaving $13 on the table here but I think this is a great compromise-setup for most anyone.

2) OUTDOORS ORIENTED:
- Man, I really want to put some Buck PakLites here but I don't think they qualify as "traditional" so I'm leaving them out. Mora's are obviously an attractive and excellent option here but I reckon I'd have to go with a Buck 102 Woodsman, ~$53USD. Great for fish to fowl and adequate for larger game and camp chores. One should be conscious of the potential for the handle to be a bit slick on larger, bloodier game, but it can get the job done. I'm not in love with Buck's modern sheaths but they will do. I could biased here as this was the first knife I ever bought with my own money, more than 40yrs ago, and my daughter totes it around these days.

- I'm going to pair this with a SAK Super Tinker, ~$32USD. Great tool selection for the outdoors or just general use and still easy to carry.

Fifteen bucks on the table for however you want to spend it.

3) GENERAL EDC:
So many options here that I don't know that there's much benefit in giving my opinion. I think a SAK Classic or Rambler is an absolute must. I prefer the Rambler and unless circumstances preclude it, I won't be without one. I use mine every single day, usually multiple times a day. From there it's what's you like. I think a Case Mini Copperlock, Trapper, and Mini Trapper are all excellent options. If a beefier knife were desired then a Copperlock or Tribal Lock.

Just my rambling thoughts. Tons of options out there for sure.

Excellent point about intended use. I think most of the collections here are biased towards their posters’ typical uses for knives. Mine certainly was.

I appreciate that you took the time and effort to think through a few different usage profiles. Well done. :)

I’m going to have to research prices before I make a complete selection but first a bit of heresy.
I don’t see the need for any SAK’s or other similar multi tools. As a knife it doesn’t compare to anything mentioned so far and as a multi tool it’s a compromise. That’s not a knock, as I own plenty of them. It’s just that they don’t measure up in my opinion.
Again, in my opinion the knife I’d carry (and do) that has the best dollar value is the Douk-Douk. After that it would be a knife that has more of an aesthetic appeal although a step down in utility. I think I’ll leave it at that. A Douk-Douk for $35 and pocket the rest.

And we have our most minimal collection. ;)

Seriously, though, that’s a valid position to take and I respect that you didn’t feel compelled to use the full budget. That’s also high praise for the Douk-Douk. I was wondering if we were going to see one represented here. :thumbsup:

If I had to start over again I'd simply stick with a couple of knives. My preferences won't have changed, so I won't bother with knives I don't like just to have a selection. I'll make do and build up again as I can.

I got this Cudeman Vendetta last year. ~ $23.

47457107472_0f917e8dc2_b.jpg

A fixed blade is too useful, so I'd grab a Casstrom sloyd knife with rosewood handle. $11.

That's $34. I'd save the remainder and look for some deals.

I got this Aitor for $7.

46371871881_526a4ef2f3_b.jpg

This Rodgers was $8.

29093669204_339fe175b2_b.jpg

There are bargains to be had. You can't expect to find specific models, but if you're flexible you can find some good knives if you exercise some restraint and patience.

Still have $51. ;)

I don’t see the need for any SAK’s or other similar multi tools...

To be fair to you, a statement’s falsehood doesn’t necessarily make it a heresy. ;)

Back