1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The $100 Traditional Knife Collection—2019 Edition

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by WhittlinAway, Aug 30, 2019.

1. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    No it doesn't. Heresy is thinking for oneself. The rightness or wrongness of the thoughts are irrelevant.

2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Greg, thanks for "re-booting" this idea; I enjoy reading other folks' thoughts on the question, and it's fun to think about what my current answer would be. :cool::thumbsup:

I'd have no objections to sticking with the 2 options I suggested 3 years ago, except for the fact that prices have increased in the intervening years :( (my description of how I actually spent my first $100 in the thread 3 years ago was based on purchases made more than 5 years ago). So I'd have to decide how to shrink the sets of knives I proposed in the original thread. But I certainly support the idea of spending the available money on a variety of "American" traditional pocket knife patterns from Rough Ryder to get samples of many types of traditional knives to try.

But for this new thread I'll go a different direction to reflect what has become an important part of my knife holdings. I'm very glad to have several knives from outside the USA that I think of as inexpensive work knives. So I did a little research on current prices and put together a list comprised of several such knives. Of course I also feel an obligation to proselytize for the canoe and sowbelly stockman patterns, so I included an example of each. :rolleyes:
    France: Opinel #7 ~$12.50
    opinel#7.jpg

Germany: Mercator Black Cat ~$25.50
    merc.mark.V.raisedbed.jpg

Japan: small Higonokami ~$12.50
    higonokami.jpg

Portugal: 4" MAM sheepsfoot ~7.00
    mam.3B.mark.open.dockbench.jpg

South Africa: Okapi Baby Sable ~$9.00
    biltong.mark.open.jpg

Spain: 3.25" Joker Horn ~13.50
    horn18.mark.open.jpg

That's $80 so far (and you could do some "trading" such as pay a few dollars more for a linerlock MAM Iberica in place of the MAM sheepsfoot, but spend a few dollars less for an Okapi Biltong instead of the Baby Sable; or you could get a Douk-Douk instead of the Opinel for about $8.50 more).

I'd then add a Chinese Imperial sowbelly stockman for $8.50 and a Chinese Imperial canoe for $8.00. That brings my total to about $96.50, and I'd use the remaining $3.50 as "seed money" for saving up for the $16 Vic Recruit I'd get next. ;):thumbsup:
    imp.sow.mark.closed.jpg
    imp.canoe.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Just Tom., 0lds, joeradza and 5 others like this.
  3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Easy...

[​IMG]

JohnDF, Prester John and Storm 8593 like this.
  4. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    You're a man who knows what he likes I see Mr Sutton:D

Prester John likes this.
  5. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    Feeling quite jealous of these low prices I see posted here. In nz , I'm generally looking at around double, and the shipping is sometimes more than the knife !
    Anyhow, I'd be picking and opinel no. 9 $40 ,for single blade food / larger slicing jobs , and a victorinox tinker $45 for everyday utility

315, gaj999, WhittlinAway and 2 others like this.
  6. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    A fine collection, GT! Thanks for taking us along on your Grand Tour. :)

I hadn't thought about the disparity in prices for the same knife in different countries. Anyone should feel free to use US prices if that'd be more fun.

Still, though, I quite like your plan for a collection. I have an Opinel No. 10 that I take camping and on road trips when I'm not sure the places I'm going to stay will have a properly sharp knife for kitchen use. I bet the No. 9 is just as handy. :thumbsup:

Storm 8593 likes this.