The $100 Traditional Knife Collection—2019 Edition

To be fair to you, a statement’s falsehood doesn’t necessarily make it a heresy. ;)

No it doesn't. Heresy is thinking for oneself. The rightness or wrongness of the thoughts are irrelevant.

Greg, thanks for "re-booting" this idea; I enjoy reading other folks' thoughts on the question, and it's fun to think about what my current answer would be. :cool::thumbsup:

I'd have no objections to sticking with the 2 options I suggested 3 years ago, except for the fact that prices have increased in the intervening years :( (my description of how I actually spent my first $100 in the thread 3 years ago was based on purchases made more than 5 years ago). So I'd have to decide how to shrink the sets of knives I proposed in the original thread. But I certainly support the idea of spending the available money on a variety of "American" traditional pocket knife patterns from Rough Ryder to get samples of many types of traditional knives to try.

But for this new thread I'll go a different direction to reflect what has become an important part of my knife holdings. I'm very glad to have several knives from outside the USA that I think of as inexpensive work knives. So I did a little research on current prices and put together a list comprised of several such knives. Of course I also feel an obligation to proselytize for the canoe and sowbelly stockman patterns, so I included an example of each. :rolleyes:
France: Opinel #7 ~$12.50
opinel#7.jpg

Germany: Mercator Black Cat ~$25.50
merc.mark.V.raisedbed.jpg

Japan: small Higonokami ~$12.50
higonokami.jpg

Portugal: 4" MAM sheepsfoot ~7.00
mam.3B.mark.open.dockbench.jpg

South Africa: Okapi Baby Sable ~$9.00
biltong.mark.open.jpg

Spain: 3.25" Joker Horn ~13.50
horn18.mark.open.jpg

That's $80 so far (and you could do some "trading" such as pay a few dollars more for a linerlock MAM Iberica in place of the MAM sheepsfoot, but spend a few dollars less for an Okapi Biltong instead of the Baby Sable; or you could get a Douk-Douk instead of the Opinel for about $8.50 more).

I'd then add a Chinese Imperial sowbelly stockman for $8.50 and a Chinese Imperial canoe for $8.00. That brings my total to about $96.50, and I'd use the remaining $3.50 as "seed money" for saving up for the $16 Vic Recruit I'd get next. ;):thumbsup:
imp.sow.mark.closed.jpg
imp.canoe.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Easy...

7ln3yP4.png

Feeling quite jealous of these low prices I see posted here. In nz , I'm generally looking at around double, and the shipping is sometimes more than the knife !
Anyhow, I'd be picking and opinel no. 9 $40 ,for single blade food / larger slicing jobs , and a victorinox tinker $45 for everyday utility

Greg, thanks for "re-booting" this idea; I enjoy reading other folks' thoughts on the question, and it's fun to think about what my current answer would be. :cool::thumbsup:

I'd have no objections to sticking with the 2 options I suggested 3 years ago, except for the fact that prices have increased in the intervening years :( (my description of how I actually spent my first $100 in the thread 3 years ago was based on purchases made more than 5 years ago). So I'd have to decide how to shrink the sets of knives I proposed in the original thread. But I certainly support the idea of spending the available money on a variety of "American" traditional pocket knife patterns from Rough Ryder to get samples of many types of traditional knives to try.

But for this new thread I'll go a different direction to reflect what has become an important part of my knife holdings. I'm very glad to have several knives from outside the USA that I think of as inexpensive work knives. So I did a little research on current prices and put together a list comprised of several such knives. Of course I also feel an obligation to proselytize for the canoe and sowbelly stockman patterns, so I included an example of each. :rolleyes:
France: Opinel #7 ~$12.50
View attachment 1189636

Germany: Mercator Black Cat ~$25.50
View attachment 1189640

Japan: small Higonokami ~$12.50
View attachment 1189641

Portugal: 4" MAM sheepsfoot ~7.00
View attachment 1189642

South Africa: Okapi Baby Sable ~$9.00
View attachment 1189650

Spain: 3.25" Joker Horn ~13.50
View attachment 1189651

That's $80 so far (and you could do some "trading" such as pay a few dollars more for a linerlock MAM Iberica in place of the MAM sheepsfoot, but spend a few dollars less for an Okapi Biltong instead of the Baby Sable; or you could get a Douk-Douk instead of the Opinel for about $8.50 more).

I'd then add a Chinese Imperial sowbelly stockman for $8.50 and a Chinese Imperial canoe for $8.00. That brings my total to about $96.50, and I'd use the remaining $3.50 as "seed money" for saving up for the $16 Vic Recruit I'd get next. ;):thumbsup:
View attachment 1189652
View attachment 1189658

- GT

A fine collection, GT! Thanks for taking us along on your Grand Tour. :)

Feeling quite jealous of these low prices I see posted here. In nz , I'm generally looking at around double, and the shipping is sometimes more than the knife !
Anyhow, I'd be picking and opinel no. 9 $40 ,for single blade food / larger slicing jobs , and a victorinox tinker $45 for everyday utility

I hadn't thought about the disparity in prices for the same knife in different countries. Anyone should feel free to use US prices if that'd be more fun.

Still, though, I quite like your plan for a collection. I have an Opinel No. 10 that I take camping and on road trips when I'm not sure the places I'm going to stay will have a properly sharp knife for kitchen use. I bet the No. 9 is just as handy. :thumbsup:

Back