The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

22-rimfire 22-rimfire Spring is so early here too ... I've put out the hummingbird feeder. It freezes pretty solid overnight but thaws quickly in the morning sunshine. The feeder has a built-in ant moat and I hang it on a second ant moat knowing how the hummers stay healthier with clean, uncontaminated food. Now the chickadees drink the water from the moats ... and some of them hit the sugar water frequently too. I leave the feeders open for the orioles and hummers - bees don't seem to bother. Still watching for Busby to return early May.

The bee balm planted year before last is over-running its area and needs dividing. May realize my red garden on the flats after all - or at east the start of it. Thanks for info re: tiller.

No dish for high speed in sight. External modems are ordered and should arrive by mail. It will be nice to go online in comfort again .. even if v e r y s l o w l y!

Snow gone mostly. Remembering snow from last April 27th ... 2019 haha!

Last edited:
I really need to make a cage like that for my Christmas cactus so the squirrels don't ruin them if I put them outdoors. I doubt they are much good to eat but a squirrel can ruin years of growth in minutes. I would like to move most of them outdoors during the summer time, but the problem has been the squirrels. We get visited by raccoons and possoms frequently. But I doubt they would have much interest in Christmas cactus.

taldesta taldesta I just made up a new batch of sugar water for the hummer feeder. I only make a cup at a time generally. The nectar level has been going down, but I have not seen a hummingbird. I think they are here and I just haven't seen one at the feeder yet.

I really need to make a cage like that for my Christmas cactus so the squirrels don't ruin them. I doubt they are much good to eat but a squirrel can ruin years of growth in minutes. I would like to move most of them outdoors during the summer time, but the problem has been the squirrels. We get visited by raccoons and possoms frequently. But I doubt they would have much interest in Christmas cactus.

Tree rats (squirrels) and raccoons are the bane of my gardening projects. I had a couple tomato plants last year and the squirrels took every single fruit I managed to grow. They would take a nibble or two and leave the rest. Both squirrels and raccoons seem to be interested in tipping over any potted plant they can find and digging up the rest. Cute critters but horribly destructive.

Am parked in the shade of the building adjacent to the Laundromat (wifi hotspot for dial-upers with crashed modems for those unfamiliar) as we speak :D Reflection off the screen is the issue - I can still see myself and don't look too bright - duh! Also miss the ease of wireless keyboard/mouse.

Rather nice not to be on the business end of a long handled shovel for a little bit. My gardens enlarge with every day I stay home. More grass sod is wheel-barrowed to a stockpile that has become a cold compost. My tiny front lawn gets smaller (huge grin). In future this stockpile will be a fine source of good rich soil.

Happy gardening and stay well, all.
I was concerned laundry would not be considered essential at this point—and potentially no WiFi. Whew!

I’m waiting to see if lawn cutting is considered an essential service since we’ll be looking at about 3’ of grass in a couple of weeks and/or hiring a goat or 2!

Stay well up there.

taldesta taldesta Thought you might find this wood sculpture interesting since you like hummingbirds. My wife got this from a coworker (her husband makes them) a couple years ago. We got two and gave one to my sister for Christmas. Still have not rebuilt my fencing on the deck. :D
IMG_5944ed.jpg

annr annr The lawn care people have continued mowing yards here for now. I suspect they are considered "essential" and pretty low risk in terms of either catching or spreading the virus.

Tree rats (squirrels) and raccoons are the bane of my gardening projects. I had a couple tomato plants last year and the squirrels took every single fruit I managed to grow. They would take a nibble or two and leave the rest. Both squirrels and raccoons seem to be interested in tipping over any potted plant they can find and digging up the rest. Cute critters but horribly destructive.
I'm not a big fan of tree rats. I have to admit that I enjoy seeing our cats chasing them. On occasion, they climb way up a tree after them which I find humorous. They have not hit my tomatoes that I am aware of in the past. Maybe this is the year for that? My cage would not have to be so tall as it is for short house plants (maybe 15 inches for flexibility).

Thought I'd share a few pics of my 2019 gardening/yard projects. Hope to do better this year! :):thumbsup:

Had a couple of trees that needed to come down. I built a retainer wall from the wood. Mulched the rest with some cedar boughs in my wood chipper.

yard201904.jpg

Put down some drainage rock between my garage and a flowerbed. Rocking dual rain barrels too.

yard201901.jpg

Tomatoes and potted plants on a bench I built from scrap 2x4.

yard201902.jpg

Built a BBQ shelter from scrap 2x4 and tin left over from my garage roof project.

yard201903.jpg

Keeping myself busy during the ECQ.

I like the cages. They make ones that are sort of reversed in design that I sort of like but I can't find them anywhere in the last year. Basically they are big on the bottom and funnel smaller with height. I put my cages out pretty quick also.

I was concerned laundry would not be considered essential at this point—and potentially no WiFi. Whew!

I’m waiting to see if lawn cutting is considered an essential service since we’ll be looking at about 3’ of grass in a couple of weeks and/or hiring a goat or 2!

Stay well up there.
Go for the goatx2. Impress the neighbours. They're quirky but don't charge for the fertilizer. The goats ... not the neighbours.

Roaring in here at 26.4 kbs - delighted to have the extra .4 too :rolleyes: - can't see the icon to left, trust it is only one roll eyes. The only two choices that are visible are the thumbs down and poop and they just don't suit my happy mood. After all, I'm finally online again from the comfort of my lazyboy :)

Snow over last night is gone now.

taldesta taldesta Thought you might find this wood sculpture interesting since you like hummingbirds. My wife got this from a coworker (her husband makes them) a couple years ago. We got two and gave one to my sister for Christmas. Still have not rebuilt my fencing on the deck. :D
View attachment 1317347

annr annr The lawn care people have continued mowing yards here for now. I suspect they are considered "essential" and pretty low risk in terms of either catching or spreading the virus.
That sculpture is a beauty - love it!

Thought I'd share a few pics of my 2019 gardening/yard projects. Hope to do better this year!
Tomatoes and potted plants on a bench I built from scrap 2x4.

View attachment 1317372
timberweasel ... on the bench beside the tomato plants - are they the small animal deterrent mats (spike surface)?

timberweasel ... on the bench beside the tomato plants - are they the small animal deterrent mats (spike surface)?

Yep. I saw them at the dollar store one day and thought I'd give them a go. They can snap together to make a bigger mat. The squirrels just laugh at them and push 'em away, but maybe they work better if anchored down... I think they're designed to go down in lawn/soil though (shallow spikes on the bottom.)

Bought some seeds but haven't started planting yet .
20200406-185415.jpg
LEGION 12 ... is that corn going into your raised garden or are you going sod-buster on your beautiful lawn? Just curious. I still have corn seeds from last year and plan to try again. Nicely done pic too ... you're into model building?

I started each pail at about 1/3 soil and hilled each twice. Maybe this year I'll try starting around 1/4 soil and maybe hill each an extra time or two. Good point about drainage. I had drilled several drainage holes in each pail but perhaps I'll add a few more.

Thanks for posting!

View attachment 1317324

View attachment 1317325
Just caught your images now - you pay a lot of attention to your gardens. From the pics I would ask also about the exposure to the sun that the potatoes get under what looks like a great tree canopy- I do assume they get full sun though.

Drainage - I've often found that the drainage holes get blocked by earth no matter how many ... and so I make sure to place a lot of stones on top of them in the containers to prevent the problem. Don't know if this is helpful.

And, please pardon my curiosity, but do you link your rain barrels with a hose? I see the trough pours into the one on the left and wonder if they are joined in a system.

LEGION 12 ... is that corn going into your raised garden or are you going sod-buster on your beautiful lawn? Just curious. I still have corn seeds from last year and plan to try again. Nicely done pic too ... you're into model building?
Was going to try the corn in the raised bed . Yes I build ship's in the winter.
20200408-193853.jpg

Just caught your images now - you pay a lot of attention to your gardens. From the pics I would ask also about the exposure to the sun that the potatoes get under what looks like a great tree canopy- I do assume they get full sun though.

Drainage - I've often found that the drainage holes get blocked by earth no matter how many ... and so I make sure to place a lot of stones on top of them in the containers to prevent the problem. Don't know if this is helpful.

And, please pardon my curiosity, but do you link your rain barrels with a hose? I see the trough pours into the one on the left and wonder if they are joined in a system.

Thank you, Taldesta. My landscaping/gardening project is a slow process but I'm enjoying it and pleased by the results so far.

The potato cage gets maximum sunlight throughout the day and early evening. I think you're correct about the drainage holes clogging. Maybe I'll try making a coarse filter of some kind with crushed rock in a burlap sack that can sit at the bottom of the pail before adding soil. I think loose rock would make things harder come harvest time.

As for the rain barrels, they are linked together by a hose just below the lids. The idea was to store enough rain water for the lawn, plants and flowerbeds during any summer municipal water restrictions. But last year, we had so much rain that it was nice to have both barrels running as a buffer for the water that would otherwise pool close to the house and seep into my basement. I have an older house, and the basement was pretty much dry all summer. :thumbsup:

22-rimfire 22-rimfire

Good info on the electric tiller; thanks for posting!

I've shied away from electric garden equipment in the past. I have a gas mower, trimmer, and wood chipper, but I bought an electric chainsaw last year. It was adequate cutting up a few trees. I was thinking about picking up a tiller to combat the running bamboo some fool planted in the yard years before I bought the house. Maybe I'll go electric.

To anyone thinking about planting bamboo in their garden or yard: bamboo is evil and grows/spreads like mad--make sure you get a clumping variety. Better still just to avoid it all together. Great for privacy foliage but there are better plants and shrubs, IMO. I planted some lilac bushes last spring to fill the void--I reckon I'll find out if they've survived over the winter soon.

I bought the 13.5 Amp Earthwise which is 16 inches wide (6 tines). They make smaller ones. I thought the electric motor might be larger with the higher amperage. But I don't really know. I think it will work out well for me since I don't use a tiller that often quite frankly. It is made in China if that matters. Been really pleased with Home Depot's order with pick up at store.
Earthwise 13.5 Amp Electric Mini Tiller.JPG
I also shied away from electric garden equipment which started years ago with a corded weedeater that I never cared for much. Moved to gas powered and now to battery powered.

I think electric power tools (especially cordless) have vastly improved in the past few years. I'm coming around... slowly :)

I think electric power tools (especially cordless) have vastly improved in the past few years. I'm coming around... slowly :)
I agree. Batteries have gotten much larger (volts) and more affordable. Other than the tiller, the only corded electric lawn & garden tool I have is a hedge trimmer. I use it maybe twice a year and everything is close to the house distance wise for the cord. I generally don't like flat topped hedges or bushes and go with a more controlled natural look overall. The next item may be a battery powered pole saw (little chain saw on a pole extension). I think I would find this useful periodically. Realizing this is a knife forum, I guess I'm supposed to use a machete or chopper knife. I have those too, but I'm lazy.

Added Saturday, 4/11/20: We had a light frost this morning. This is getting pretty late for here. There were frost advisories last evening. Low temp was about 37*F. I covered all of my tomatoes and pepper plants and placed a couple peppers in containers in my garage for the night. No damage that I observed.

Last edited:
Back