The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Cleaned and turned the soil in the raised bed , going to plant a couple of rows of corn next weekend.
20200411-184006.jpg

All these seedlings want is a space of their own in a warm patch outside - not happening any time soon at this latitude.

Nasturtium seedlings - one of two flats in south-facing loft window.

DSCF8717 NASTURTIUM SEEDLINGD LOFT 650 MED.jpg

Heirloom tomatoes - lots to share :thumbsup:

DSCF8711 TOMATO SEEDLINGS 650 MED.jpg

Perennials set in a concrete mixing container - tall ones are sweet pea, others are gaillardia. All south-facing windows are absolutely loaded with seedlings and propagated favourites.

DSCF8713 SEEDLIG TRAY PERENNIALS GAILLARDIA PEA 650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
OK - those familiar know that grass is not my cuppa. So please don't cringe when you see the sod flying into the wheelbarrow to make room for hummingbird candy! The sod pile will eventually become beautiful soil for the gardens.

Enlarging the dig from last season - gladiola and cosmo wall of colour separating the lawn from the lawless weedpatch that is this property - joy :D in the growing. Just down the laneway on the right you can see the pile of composting sod. This location is chosen because it is downhill.

DSCF8709 SOD BUSTING LAWN 650 MED.jpg

The front-of-house garden joins to the new dig and is also being enlarged - room for lots of gaillardia and annual zinnias. Good grief, the hummers will go wild with colour this summer.

DSCF8708 SOD BUSTING HOUSE GARDEN LAWN 650 MED.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF8710 SOD BUSTING FRONT LAWN CLOSE 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF8710 SOD BUSTING FRONT LAWN CLOSE 650 MED.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
OK - those familiar know that grass is not my cuppa. So please don't cringe when you see the sod flying into the wheelbarrow to make room for hummingbird candy! The sod pile will eventually become beautiful soil for the gardens.

Enlarging the dig from last season - gladiola and cosmo wall of colour separating the lawn from the lawless weedpatch that is this property - joy :D in the growing. Just down the laneway on the right you can see the pile of composting sod. This location is chosen because it is downhill.

The front-of-house garden joins to the new dig and is also being enlarged - room for lots of gaillardia and annual zinnias. Good grief, the hummers will go wild with colour this summer.
Some serious work going on with Spring. I'm impressed! Very informative pictures!

LEGION 12 LEGION 12 Why corn? It will use up all available space very quickly. Large space gardeners plant their corn in rows about 3 feet apart.

We're going to be getting a fair amount of rain (with wind and possible tornados) today. We'll see.

Some serious work going on with Spring. I'm impressed! Very informative pictures!

LEGION 12 LEGION 12 Why corn? It will use up all available space very quickly. Large space gardeners plant their corn in rows about 3 feet apart.

We're going to be getting a fair amount of rain (with wind and possible tornados) today. We'll see.
Was thinking just a few plant's at the end of the raised bed.

Big Rain and Big Wind on Easter Sunday evening here in SE TN. Got a month's worth of rain in a few hours. Tornado about 5 miles from my house (at least one) just before midnight. The storm front moves into the Carolina's.

Added 4/17/20: The local newspaper reported there were 7 confirmed tornadoes within about 30 miles of me with the strongest (EF-3, possibly EF-4) traveling within about 5 miles of my house. 11 people died.

Last edited:
A number of deaths being reported here on CBC (public radio) - good that they missed your area. Tragic for where they struck.

Was thinking just a few plant's at the end of the raised bed.

Totally worth it! Nothing says summer like a good corn roast! :thumbsup:

I like to pull the loose shuck/silk and leave the rest, soak in cold water for a while, then toss the ears on the upper BBQ grill. Just need to turn 'em a few times and the cobs are cooked to perfection--steamed right in the shuck. I like my cooked cobs rolled in butter with a little salt and pepper...

How do you folks like to prepare your corn on the cob?

Nothing says summer like a good corn roast! :thumbsup:

I like to pull the loose shuck/silk and leave the rest, soak in cold water for a while, then toss the ears on the upper BBQ grill. Just need to turn 'em a few times and the cobs are cooked to perfection--steamed right in the shuck. I like my cooked cobs rolled in butter with a little salt and pepper...

How do you folks like to prepare your corn on the cob?
I cook mine the same way . :)

Fierce winds yesterday and overnight flipped the metal bench on the lawn, tilted the bird feeder pole (now that ground is thawed and soft) and transplanted a large tarp to the end of the laneway. Lucky it was the top tarp of three, each separately roped down, that I had securing some materials on the shed deck. Belt and suspenders as it relates to tarps and weather :D. That's me.

Today it has been sunshine, snow ... and now sunshine again.

Lovin' April so far!

DSCF8720 SNOW BIRD FEEDERS 650 MED.jpg

timberweasel timberweasel Corn bbq'd similarly here as well. If I am using the main grill for it though I will wrap soaked cobs (leaves on) in foil and turn frequently. Not pulling the bbq out today.

Fierce winds yesterday and overnight flipped the metal bench on the lawn, tilted the bird feeder pole (now that ground is thawed and soft) and transplanted a large tarp to the end of the laneway. Lucky it was the top tarp of three, each separately roped down, that I had securing some materials on the shed deck. Belt and suspenders as it relates to tarps and weather :D. That's me.

Today it has been sunshine, snow ... and now sunshine again.

Lovin' April so far!

View attachment 1321950

timberweasel timberweasel Corn bbq'd similarly here as well. If I am using the main grill for it though I will wrap soaked cobs (leaves on) in foil and turn frequently. Not pulling the bbq out today.
I saw the snow on the weather radar in your area and figured you were going to get some.

I have done corn on the grill before but prefer to do it in the kitchen. I don't see a compelling reason to make it on the grill. We start seeing locally grown early sweet corn at the various farmers type markets in late May and June. Corn takes up too much space for me to grow it in my garden. As a kid, the family grew lots of sweet corn and corn on the cob was a dinner most of us looked forward to. A meal would be about 3 dozen. We also froze many containers full. We had a big family and the garden and our cows provided a significant portion of our food. Considering our family income, we ate really well.

Starting to make my christmas cactus cage (3x2 ft x 2 feet tall) to protect the plants outdoors from squirrels. Using 2x2's. It has to be sized so that I can pick it up and move it if I need to without a lot of trouble. It won't be fancy, just functional. We always have a few blooming around Easter. Need to check on light requirement suggestions. When I do this, it will clear out a lot of space for the summer. I probably need to repot many of the larger ones as they have gotten that "old" look.

Starting to get interested again in orchids indoors. I got a couple last year and they did okay and are blooming again now. So, I have picked up a few more of the easier to grow varieties. I know I can't do the really big ones. The one I picked up yesterday was actually grown in Canada (greenhouse).

Last edited:
I saw the snow on the weather radar in your area and figured you were going to get some.

<Z> We also froze many containers full. We had a big family and the garden and our cows provided a significant portion of our food. Considering our family income, we ate really well.

Starting to make my christmas cactus cage (3x2 ft x 2 feet tall) to protect the plants outdoors from squirrels.

Starting to get interested again in orchids indoors. I got a couple last year and they did okay and are blooming again now.
I wish you saw snow on somebody else's radar :D ... it is still coming down here and with a fierce wind. No accumulation though ...

Back on the farm where I grew up we had cattle and yes, always plenty of food no matter what - a priority with my mother for my brother and myself.

Going rat-ta-tat-ta-tat on the ladder hung on the shed out back is this regular springtime visitor. Same ladder, same spot, same time every year - yellow bellied sapsucker. It is said that the hummers will eat sap from the holes these guys drill if other food is scarce for them during migration. I have an old print of the sapsucker taking nectar from the hummingbird feeder too.

DSCF8727 YELLOW BELLIWD SAPSUCKER 650 MED.jpg

Sweet pea has outgrown the kabob skewer supports ... gaillardia is thriving too. Some warm weather sure would be welcome.

DSCF8746 SWEET PEA GALLIARDA SEEDLINGS 650 MED.jpg

Every tomato seed germinated ... yikes, now they need transplanting into a large container and it is just too nasty outside to even think of setting them out in daytime. My annual 'planted too soon' dilemma - never learn :rolleyes:

DSCF8731 TOMATO SEEDLINGS 650 MED.jpg

Maybe folks recall the 'capsule' seeds I posted a while back here ... this is the lupine, one of three in the hummingbird mix from that batch. Still waiting for the others to germinate.
DSCF8748 HUMMER MIX LUPINE CAPSULE 650 MED.jpg

I look back to my pics of last April - the flood and snow covering the landscape on April 27th 2019 ... so I guess it could be colder and deeper ...

In those files I went over some of my squirrel videos as they persisted in their antics to get at the bird feeders - that was prior to my system. More laughs than a barrel of tree rats some might say! Good luck keeping them away from the Christmas cactus.

I wish you saw snow on somebody else's radar :D ... it is still coming down here and with a fierce wind. No accumulation though ...

Back on the farm where I grew up we had cattle and yes, always plenty of food no matter what - a priority with my mother for my brother and myself.

Going rat-ta-tat-ta-tat on the ladder hung on the shed out back is this regular springtime visitor. Same ladder, same spot, same time every year - yellow bellied sapsucker. It is said that the hummers will eat sap from the holes these guys drill if other food is scarce for them during migration. I have an old print of the sapsucker taking nectar from the hummingbird feeder too.

View attachment 1326382

Sweet pea has outgrown the kabob skewer supports ... gaillardia is thriving too. Some warm weather sure would be welcome.

View attachment 1326390

Every tomato seed germinated ... yikes, now they need transplanting into a large container and it is just too nasty outside to even think of setting them out in daytime. My annual 'planted too soon' dilemma - never learn :rolleyes:

View attachment 1326388

Maybe folks recall the 'capsule' seeds I posted a while back here ... this is the lupine, one of three in the hummingbird mix from that batch. Still waiting for the others to germinate.
View attachment 1326395

I look back to my pics of last April - the flood and snow covering the landscape on April 27th 2019 ... so I guess it could be colder and deeper ...

In those files I went over some of my squirrel videos as they persisted in their antics to get at the bird feeders - that was prior to my system. More laughs than a barrel of tree rats some might say! Good luck keeping them away from the Christmas cactus.
Do the Lupines grow wild in your area like they do in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest?

The seedlings look great. I have looked at the weather and you're still pretty much in the 20's (*F) at night. I'd let them grow a while and if necessary transplant to larger pots with the tomatoes. I will have to place the Christmas Cactus in a shady spot (morning sun only) when I move them outside. I think the cage will work. I need to fashion a lid and I'll be ready to try it out.

I wonder what draws the bird to repeat the same behavior?

Lupines do take over hillsides here in spots and are hardy perennials that spread - whether these are from domestic plantings or not, I can't say for sure ... but because they are mostly around homesteads and gardens I believe they are started and encouraged by folks who enjoy them.

Recently I heard on my gardening radio program that tomato seedlings indoors form stronger stems if they are ruffled a little as if they were blown gently in a wind - sort of run your hand over the foliage. I am finding this seems to be the case. Or maybe they just love attention :D

I can say that the Early Girl seeds planted in those new 'capsules' containing everything but the kitchen sink don't hold a candle to the growth of the heirloom varieties in my pic.

The sapsucker is likely claiming his territory. I've got a lot of woodpeckers banging on metal on the hydro poles too. Chickadees are tanking up on the sugar water set out - too early I know - for the hummingbirds. I re-filled it yesterday!

Well you guys make me feel bad. I started a couple inside projects a couple months back and am wrapping them up now, but have not been paying attention to the outside. Blame the weather too. But the tulips are about done, they were nothing like last years crop. apparently the black and purple ones don't "go native" very well. But the lilies I extensively replanted seem to be doing very well and should be great for flowers later. Unfortunately the primary crop seems to be weeds. I'm going to have to spend some time sorting those out. but the dogwood is blooming:

kFlwVGh.jpg

Beautiful dogwood, eisman eisman

Recalling last spring about this time, before Busby left - the squirrels were raiding the feeders mercilessly after I quit feeding them on the platforms. You can see that I had just begun the new dig that is enlarged this spring. I tried hanging the feeders on wire, then further along on a wire. Then, in early June, on a post with a 'flimsy' baffle. What entertainment.

Leaping squirrel video is shown in slow motion then again in real time.

This was prior to my 'system' of course ;) I am parked outside the laundromat enjoying their wifi again.

Back