The 2021 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Daisy appears so sedate and happy to pose!
Oh yes! :rolleyes: How sedate is Daisy you wonder?

Dunno ... in this pose she is not the blur across the landscape that is her norm, so I suspect she must be sound asleep, sitting up ... with her eyes wide open - you know, still like a tree stump to fool the squirrels :D

Oh yes! :rolleyes: How sedate is Daisy you wonder?

Dunno ... in this pose she is not the blur across the landscape that is her norm, so I suspect she must be sound asleep, sitting up ... with her eyes wide open - you know, still like a tree stump to fool the squirrels :D
Exactly! Sounds like she took a page out of my friend the bunny rabbit's playbook who likes to catch his ZZZZs around mid-day with his eyes wide open. (Real thing.)

One of our neighbors has a cactus garden that borders the street. Very pretty when it's in bloom
rVgFmJ7.jpg

eaDlHRg.jpg

One of our neighbors has a cactus garden that borders the street. Very pretty when it's in bloom
Beautiful cactus garden and great photos! Nice comparison to the bloomin' rain, sleet and wind beating down on the brown landscape we're enjoying just now - snow's almost gone here (better not jinx it with too much optimism though :D).

Last night's stroll. Fruit trees in bloom. Oranges are still abundant. Farmer Lardlord leaving lemons on trees until nobody has them in June... profit$. If it stays cool, apparently they "keep" pretty well on the tree. Some will get big but they stay juicy.
sKYZKwm.jpg

Xp5inEE.jpg

Edit to add: same shot through my phonecamera's "auto" filter really gets those white flowers to pop. Looks more like the real thing too.
Tg7z4PM.jpg

Last edited:
Have some Pomelos and Eureka Lemons coming up.

View attachment 1541178
Nice! This method of starting seeds works best for me as well - jiffy pellets (here). I find that the roots stay intact and transfer to outdoors planting so much better than when planted in shared medium where the earth gets disturbed leaving bare roots shocked and struggling.

? Do you use fruit from existing crops or buy commercial seed? When will these seedlings be planted out?

Mainly I plant inside way too early, though ... considering our seedlings go out around the 24th of May weekend after last frost.

Migrating birds are the lively part of spring landscape just now. The yard is hopping.

One squirrel needs a good name and I am hovering between calling it "Tailless" or "Very Lucky" :D

DSCF4219 TAILLESS SQUIRREL PROFILE 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4221 TAILLESS SQUIRREL BACK 650 MED.jpg

Taldesta- all the citrus seedlings that I have are from seeds of my fruits. The mangos and avocados are seeds from store purchased fruit. I take the Jiffy pellets and put them into half gallon pots. That size pot is usually good for 2 years, then into something bigger.

EC1C7478-896F-47F4-9EB4-FFDD9C4E80F5.jpeg

13DFDE61-B336-4506-8E6B-B585E08D58DD.jpeg

Yeah LEGION 12 LEGION 12 now I'm curious too as to what will follow the corn crop of 2020 :D

For my part, in the pellets I am starting heirloom tomato seeds again this year for containers on the porch and squash for the wild veg garden ... along with hummingbird candy direct into the ground after frost - zinnias, nasturtiums. I've never enjoyed the success with peppers other posters in this thread have had, sweet or hot. But, yes, I will try again this year - perhaps transplanting the seedlings into containers where I can have more control over the water and sun exposure. Here's good luck to us all!

Yeah LEGION 12 LEGION 12 now I'm curious too as to what will follow the corn crop of 2020 :D

For my part, in the pellets I am starting heirloom tomato seeds again this year for containers on the porch and squash for the wild veg garden ... along with hummingbird candy direct into the ground after frost - zinnias, nasturtiums. I've never enjoyed the success with peppers other posters in this thread have had, sweet or hot. But, yes, I will try again this year - perhaps transplanting the seedlings into containers where I can have more control over the water and sun exposure. Here's good luck to us all!
The corn was a huge success last year but I'm trying to show some restraint this year . Have some Roma tomatoe seeds , some banana peppers from last year as well as poblanoes seeds going to try give broccoli a try also .

Well, never had this happen before. I was cleaning out the gutter drain pipes on my house and had this guy come out to say hello!
He was inside taking a nap and wasn’t very happy with me!
A9FC2DE2-9E09-4CD2-82FA-5B9F533F045D.jpeg

My brother grew one in his apartment in Atlanta. Can't say it very sweet--more of a sweet surprise! Enjoy!

These are so sweet it’s like eating pineapple sugar! I have 15 fruits this season, so we’ll have plenty.

On another note, we throw all our veggie/fruit scraps into a compost box in the back yard. I noticed a couple plants growing in there, but have no idea what they are. Definitely not anything I can match up with something we discarded. Anybody have ant ideas what these may be?
B304046F-5EF5-4A8C-AB05-B64D455A1B8E.jpeg

<...>On another note, we throw all our veggie/fruit scraps into a compost box in the back yard. I noticed a couple plants growing in there, but have no idea what they are. Definitely not anything I can match up with something we discarded. Anybody have ant ideas what these may be?
View attachment 1547025

Jokingly I refer to these tall wild grasses here as 'weeds pooped by moose' - seems appropriate here. :D In your image I am seeing almost a wheat-like seed head plus an unrelated blossom ... and what appears to be another 'rounded' seed pod or perhaps unopened blossom. I know that online there is a facility to id plants. annr annr may know of a specific site.

One of my cold composts always throws up these tall grasses too ... just starting up this spring as usual although I don't let it go to seed here in the wild veg garden. The usual suspects ... birds, critters, wind - not moose! It always surprises me how well the turf walls in this area of wild grasses manage to keep out weeds. Something clearly climbs into the compost, bends the straining wire and introduces seeds though.

DSCF4242 COMPOST WILD VEG GARDEN 650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
Back