The 2021 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Cleaned out the raised bed , tilled in a few bags of compost , I think this may be the last year for this bed , wood's starting to rot . I will rebuild .
IMG-20210411-154955571.jpg

Boards look great although I get that the rot is inevitable with wood in contact with moist earth for your garden. My question - what paint? And, have you re-painted every year? - because my planters (not in contact with earth) look terrible and were constructed and painted after you built your raised garden. This will be the 3rd year for my planters.

Still nippy overnight - found the delphinium frozen solid to the touch on the porch this morning, and thawed a short time later when the temp rose.
-1C
DSCF4239 DELPHINIUM FROZEN 650 MED.jpg

+1C
DSCF4245 DELPHINIUM THAWED 650 MED.jpg

Gotta love the perennials! Tough.

With sunshine warming his back, this little one lolls on the bench. The more I photograph the little reds, the more I see them relax, stretch out and soak up life.

DSCF4230 SQUIRREL LOLLS BENCH 2 650 MED.jpg

The overwintered plants are on the move, outside by day but saved from the frost overnight - inside again. The travelers here are coleus from cuttings and red hot cattails.

DSCF4247 COLEUS RED  HOT CATTAILS INSIDE 650 MED.jpg

I have a dumb phone, but my friend with the smart phone downloaded an app called "Google." When open, to the right of the search field is a bracket-like area that when opened/touched activates the phone's camera.

Capture or take a picture of the plant (or any item), and the app will locate it or comparable on the web.

Boards look great although I get that the rot is inevitable with wood in contact with moist earth for your garden. My question - what paint? And, have you re-painted every year? - because my planters (not in contact with earth) look terrible and were constructed and painted after you built your raised garden. This will be the 3rd year for my planters.
Just a exterior latex I only painted it once didn't paint the interior .

I live outside Detroit. Tue night into Wed afternoon is listed as 4-8 inches of snow of now. Weatherman insists we will see snow, probably 2-3 inches. Thankfully the few herbs I planted are in small window type boxes that can be moved indoors.

Anyone else on the snow list for mid April?

Some of you folks might need to bust out some tarps, heating pads, insulated long johns, etc for your gardens.

Last edited:
I live outside Detroit. Tue night into Wed afternoon is listed as 4-8 inches of snow of now. Weatherman insists we will see snow, probably 2-3 inches. Thankfully the few herbs I planted are in small window type boxes that can be moved indoors.

Anyone else on the snow list for mid April?

Some of you folks might need to bust out some tarps, heating pads, insulated long johns, etc for your gardens.
70% chance of snow Tue night and -5C, Wed periods of snow with flurries overnight and -4C. Shorts and short sleeves today :).

No bugs! :thumbsup:

2 layers of fabric stone then bricks wouldn't stop the weeds , plastic and river rocks maybe .
IMG-20210418-153617021.jpg

I am getting a tad melancholy as I get ready for the move east to Florida. I have about 75% of my yard landscaped and it was all me. You all inspired me to do a shoot now, so I can photo document it and be able to look back on it. I am also excited to see what I can do in my new place in Florida, where ever we land. Guava tree for sure. I love guavas.

I am getting a tad melancholy as I get ready for the move east to Florida. I have about 75% of my yard landscaped and it was all me. You all inspired me to do a shoot now, so I can photo document it and be able to look back on it. I am also excited to see what I can do in my new place in Florida, where ever we land. Guava tree for sure. I love guavas.
It's tough to leave a property you have put so much of yourself into and stills are a great way to have a visual record of the beauty you must leave behind. Recently I've done a few short video clips too where I plant myself in one spot for 360's of the "landscape" here in anticipation of an upcoming move. You see I am planning to take the bird chatter along with me too :D. Here's to your Florida guavas!

Some from 'store' packets, some 'saved' in paper bags, some from my favourite seed house - the planting (indoors) has begun. Yup, it is indeed 6 weeks to last frost here and my windowsills are full! I cannot believe my restraint this year. Normally my nasturtiums started indoors way too early are leggy and needing transplanting by this time.

List: nasturtiums, sunflower variety (one called Kong), thunbergia (vine), bee balm - just checking if seed still viable, green beans, geraniums, sweet pea, tomatoes. 81 seeds planted in all, mostly in convenient pellets, some in small individual pots.

DSCF4258 SEED BOXES 650 MED.jpg

Direct in ground after last frost: zinnias, cosmos, Crackerjack marigolds, more nasturtiums.

For the birds and critters, I had left all the seed heads on last year's bee balm. Tall pole to front is hollyhock support.

Before cleanup:

DSCF4249 BEE BALM BEFORE CLEAN UP 650 MED.jpg

DSCF4261 BEE BALM DISTANT 650 MED.jpg

In 2018 only 10 bee balm (Jacob Cline) were planted. Last spring I had to transplant a lot of them to the lower field. Once again this spring, I'll be digging all the outgrowth and moving it or giving it away. Fantastic perennial!

DSCF4262 BEE BALM CLOSE 650 MED.jpg

Bee balm in 2019 ... exactly the way it was intended to grow here in spite of its spreading nature. It just needs a little harnessing.

DSCF6299 HOLLYHOCKS BEE BALM BOULDER HOUSE 650 MED.jpg

Some from 'store' packets, some 'saved' in paper bags, some from my favourite seed house - the planting (indoors) has begun. Yup, it is indeed 6 weeks to last frost here and my windowsills are full! I cannot believe my restraint this year. Normally my nasturtiums started indoors way too early are leggy and needing transplanting by this time.

List: nasturtiums, sunflower variety (one called Kong), thunbergia (vine), bee balm - just checking if seed still viable, green beans, geraniums, sweet pea, tomatoes. 81 seeds planted in all, mostly in convenient pellets, some in small individual pots.

View attachment 1549734

Direct in ground after last frost: zinnias, cosmos, Crackerjack marigolds, more nasturtiums.

For the birds and critters, I had left all the seed heads on last year's bee balm. Tall pole to front is hollyhock support.

Before cleanup:

View attachment 1549750

View attachment 1549751

In 2018 only 10 bee balm (Jacob Cline) were planted. Last spring I had to transplant a lot of them to the lower field. Once again this spring, I'll be digging all the outgrowth and moving it or giving it away. Fantastic perennial!

View attachment 1549752

Bee balm in 2019 ... exactly the way it was intended to grow here in spite of its spreading nature. It just needs a little harnessing.

View attachment 1549755
A question I've been meaning to ask if I may , how long do seeds last after you open them ?

A question I've been meaning to ask if I may , how long do seeds last after you open them ?

I like to experiment and am encouraged to find that seeds, kept cool, dry and out of direct light can last for several years - opened or unopened - but dropping in germination rate to as low as 20% in second year. My 'garden guy' (author) suggests placing dry seed packets sealed in a glass jar to keep humidity out and that parsley/carrot seeds and other native (here) seed-bearing plant seeds can be frozen. That's why I collect and dry them then store in paper bags and keep unused packets - but I do like to check seed viability before I work to prep a garden specifically for a particular saved seed batch as I am doing with bee balm this year. In 2019 I ordered 1,000 to light up the lower field and well ... hope remains :D

Now I understand that hybrids may be sterile or not germinate into the same variety plant. Again this is why I like the heritage or heirloom varieties. Some would say that lots of seeds can last a lot longer - proof's in the pudding. Only once can I recall a seed house packet instruction to include a 'plant by' date. I'll put the question to my friend in the local horticultural society because I too am curious.

Fresh seed should have a good 80%+ germination rate I am advised. I would not trust to retail storage conditions for a year old packet of seed but do have fair luck when I store fresh, dry seeds.

Please let us know what you may find on the subject too.

It finally stopped raining and the sun broke out back around Easter. I've been busy redoing a room as an office, but I did get the lawn thatched and overseeded a couple weeks ago. Everything has been blooming or growing and I have a massive weed problem. I'm also going to have to thin and/or move a bunch of the Orepet Lilies this fall because I've got a bumper crop coming up. It's interesting how some of my tulips are good at being left in (I didn't replant them last year) but others have apparently not made it through. FEB & MAR were really hard this year. Lots of grey days and I just get depressed. And of course we couldn't go anywhere, so that's no help.

732sgzL.jpg

As always I love seeing all the work you guys are doing.

Looks good, what seeds will you grow? I might try. Thanks
Just curious here as to what spring planting you decided on and how it is going? Here's to more sunshine and warm temps for all of us and our gardening :)

Just curious here as to what spring planting you decided on and how it is going? Here's to more sunshine and warm temps for all of us and our gardening :)
Thanks. Last week put out seeds for hummingbirds and butterflies: zinnias, coneflowers, daisies, hyssop, wallflower. Today started a indoor sprouting greenhouse tray with basil, corn, watermelons, spinach. We’ll see which variety I kill fastest! I’m a first-timer....

Thanks. Last week put out seeds for hummingbirds and butterflies: zinnias, coneflowers, daisies, hyssop, wallflower. Today started a indoor sprouting greenhouse tray with basil, corn, watermelons, spinach. We’ll see which variety I kill fastest! I’m a first-timer....
Well, when "beginners luck" strikes, we'll want to know which seedling, corn or watermelon, lifts the lid off that greenhouse tray first :D

Back