The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

My business model has always been to make knives during the week, put them for sale on Friday, sell them over the weekend, and ship the following week. We've had a few years of very brisk sales, but a slower sale isn't a bad thing, it reduces frustration and allows regular people to get the knives they want.

Nathan, so I have a serious questions vis a vis the above:

Let’s say that is your absolute preferred method and that the concurrent preorders which get you all in a tizzy, will then be slowly set aside or reduced substantially to say once a year. Will you then consider taking in and doing some custom shop work along the regular weekly it biweekly sales, since you have increased in size both in. Term so f labor force and also the CNC machining centers?

Nathan, so I have a serious questions vis a vis the above:

Let’s say that is your absolute preferred method and that the concurrent preorders which get you all in a tizzy, will then be slowly set aside or reduced substantially to say once a year. Will you then consider taking in and doing some custom shop work along the regular weekly it biweekly sales, since you have increased in size both in. Term so f labor force and also the CNC machining centers?

Yes, we may do some custom stuff

Nathan, is there a limit to the stock thickness below which you will not attempt? Let's say in a fixed blade length of 4-5 inches. Would you be comfortable with 3/16"? How about 1/8"? If possible, can you please tell use as to how thin you may want to go with DEK-1 if that is going to become a commercial offering? With the DEK moniker (Defensive Everyday Knife) I'm assuming that there will be some thickness to it ala the EDC pattern.

Are there concerns that with CPK being well known for its very tough knives yet lighter than the competition(s), a much thinner CPK may expose it to potential damage and bending when being used in a knucklehead manner outside its intended use?

Back