The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, is there a limit to the stock thickness below which you will not attempt? Let's say in a fixed blade length of 4-5 inches. Would you be comfortable with 3/16"? How about 1/8"? If possible, can you please tell use as to how thin you may want to go with DEK-1 if that is going to become a commercial offering? With the DEK moniker (Defensive Everyday Knife) I'm assuming that there will be some thickness to it ala the EDC pattern.

Are there concerns that with CPK being well known for its very tough knives yet lighter than the competition(s), a much thinner CPK may expose it to potential damage and bending when being used in a knucklehead manner outside its intended use?

yes

1. Does the acid stonewash finish improves corrosion resistance?

2. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that there is a CPK folder in development. Will it be delta 3V or stainless? Bought a K390 steel folder recently. Carried it for a week, now there is rust spot :(

Hello Nathan, hopefully I'am a first time buyer :) was wondering how long does it usually take to get the invoice after sending info from today's sale ? Just mainly interested that it was received . I'am not excited or anything like that :D

Hello Nathan, hopefully I'am a first time buyer :) was wondering how long does it usually take to get the invoice after sending info from today's sale ? Just mainly interested that it was received . I'am not excited or anything like that :D

Jo usually starts invoices on Monday although sometimes she'll get a head start over the weekend.

Will edgecut antique micarta handle scales be in the queue too?

BTW, have you decided on the kind of wood for the UF mystery wood or still going with your "something awful like an old axe handle"?

yes

I'll use a mix of African Blackwood (old stock really good black stuff), Cocobolo, and Osage Orange. It will either be a random mix or Jo might ask folks their preference as she comes to them on the list.

I also have some antique paper based phenolic that came out of an old Westinghouse switchgear that I'm going to try to cut up. It tested negative for asbestos. It looks a little like wood.

I was curious if the handles on the MC and the HDMC were interchangeable?... Or if you had to thin the scales for the HDMC since the blade stock is wider?

They're interchangeable. The handles were developed for the MC. The HDMC is a variant and won't be a standard pattern. I considered making a special variation of the handle scales (the original HC prototypes had more handle swell) but it seemed like a great deal of unproductive complexity, the MC scales work fine on the HDMC.

Back