The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Not called a Double edge Utility Fighter anymore? I may be behind times a bit! When was the Utility thang dropped and went full-on Fighter mode? Since the DE? Traditional full fighters seem to have a guard of some sort. I know that the original UF was a collaborative interpretation of a fighter between Nathan and his U.S. Army special forces friend, but I'm not sure if the "utility" moniker ought to be dropped.

From the Sept 6 sale:

"I'm not calling this a Utility Fighter. It's based on the UF, but it's hand ground before tumbling, it's expensive and it's not really a utility knife anymore, it's more of a purpose built weapon. I'm calling it a 6" Double Edge Fighter."

Always willing to assist the unenlightened:D:D:D

Hi Nathan, the Next Sale thread states that both DE-UF Friday's sale and the BC'er open order are scheduled for next Friday 10/04 and also that sales start at 3:00 PM.

Qs: are both going to be running concurrently at 3:00 PM eastern? DE-UF in the main knifemaker's forum and the BC'er here on CPK-sub? Can you please consider a time separation between the two? IIRC, almost all preorders in the past started at 5:00 PM eastern but this is an open order so I'm just asking for a friend of course ;)

3:00 and 5:00

Without Gus's prior permission, I'm posting his pic to ask a question:

Nathan, do you reckon that the edges of this DEF and the DEFs/UFs in general is sharpened to something like a true 600 grit? That's how the scratch pattern looks like to me! I happen to really luv a true 600 which has plenty of toothy sharpness.

ectvma6.jpg

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist with regards to D3V.. how far down do you think you could thin it out whilst retaining good edge stability? No cinder blocks, no railroad ties, or any crazy shit. Just wood and game processing. Would sub .125" be possible?

I'm not Nathan, but edge stability doesn't really have anything to do with the thickness of the stock used. The primary grind might have a little influence on overall cutting ability, but not the stability of the edge itself per se. Many of his knives are less than 0.040" BTE. I wouldn't think a knife in 0.1" stock, and ~0.025" BTE would be too crazy if you didn't abuse it much. I'd love to see something like that too, something similar to the EDC pattern, but thinner stock and maybe a shorter edge-to-spine. Like if a bird-n-trout and an EDC had a baby. :cool: :thumbsup:

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, how soon wil the Behemothers start shipping after the order opens on Friday? I believe they only need some final touches and sharpening?
Basic configuration can ship almost immediately, they are ready. Customizations will take more time but unless we have a huge turnout I expect to ship everything by the end of the year.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist with regards to D3V.. how far down do you think you could thin it out whilst retaining good edge stability? No cinder blocks, no railroad ties, or any crazy shit. Just wood and game processing. Would sub .125" be possible?

edge stability doesn't really have anything to do with the thickness of the stock used. The primary grind might have a little influence on overall cutting ability, but not the stability of the edge itself per se.

the bottom end for edge stability for Delta 3V is around 13 degrees per side. There is too much carbide and chromium in it to go narrower than that. Below that you need a simple steel like W2 which can go down to perhaps 10? This is much narrower than most knives. Delta 3V shines at 15 to 20 which is on the narrow side of most users.

Because we have high strength and high hardness we can go thinner BTE than most steels, this is largely a function of yield strength which is around 320 KPSI on steel of this hardness, this is a higher strength-to-weight ratio than titanium, and 3V can achieve this level of hardness with good working toughness. So you can go pretty thin behind the edge. That said, the stiffness is a function of the geometry not the heat treat.

Back