The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Yeah there are new sheaths for the double grind. Yes, kydex can scuff your finish. If someone orders a satin finish and doesn't want a sheath we can talk about it. Otherwise, a sheath is standard on most patterns.

Yup, I'll def have to forego the sheath on my satin finish pre-order request... I'll talk to NinJo about it when my number comes up vis a vis the preorder one... It's cool for the standard stonewash finish if & when I ever win one! :cool:

BTW on those satins, are you going vertical or horizontal?

Yup, I'll def have to forego the sheath on my satin finish pre-order request... I'll talk to NinJo about it when my number comes up vis a vis the preorder one... It's cool for the standard stonewash finish if & when I ever win one! :cool:

BTW on those satins, are you going vertical or horizontal?

We're trying it both ways. I prefer lengthwise because it hides sheath scratches better but so far we're getting better looking grinds in D3V going perpendicular. A2 finished lovely with the lengthwise but I'm not in love with it on 3V. We're still working on it.

We're trying it both ways. I prefer lengthwise because it hides sheath scratches better but so far we're getting better looking grinds in D3V going perpendicular. A2 finished lovely with the lengthwise but I'm not in love with it on 3V. We're still working on it.

I was very fortunate to have had a couple / few of your old work done horizontally both in A2 and also 3V. I also had the perpendicular in Elmax... Something about them horizontal one if you can dial that up again but "beggars can't be choosers" applies when it comes to your work ;)

What thickness material do you use for the HDFK handles?

For my trashy little 1084 driveway heat treated knife 3/8" to 1/2" is the fattest I can find and I keep grinding into the tang when I try to contour the handle well enough to avoid the slab sided scale feel.

twD3EKJ.jpg

A lot of sanding left to do but you get the idea.
uCSP9XR.jpg

Just because...
xfHJnQg.jpg

Sounds like I got a volunteer!

Looks cool man. I like the minimal ricasso. I find large, wide ricassos unappealing, which makes me wonder...what's just right? I guess with too slim a gap between the handle and the edge, you could run into interference with a sharpening stone (depending). But I like the edge as close to the handle as possible, especially when carving wood.

What thickness material do you use for the HDFK handles?

For my trashy little 1084 driveway heat treated knife 3/8" to 1/2" is the fattest I can find and I keep grinding into the tang when I try to contour the handle well enough to avoid the slab sided scale feel.

A lot of sanding left to do but you get the idea.

Just because...

I use 3/8" or 7/16" on larger pieces.

It's okay to be a little slab sided. If you close your hand and look inside you'll see it isn't round, it's a bunch of distorted planes. When beginners learn to avoid a box they sometimes go too far and make a round bar. Which tends to turn in the hand when you cut with it. The best shapes tend to be more of a bunch of curved planes with blended intersections.

Nathan, regarding the Behemoth'ers:

AW and swedge options are still on the table, right? I'm guessing $150ish on top of an increased price for the BC'er?

Sure. Why not.

I'll try to do one like that for you for a fun Friday sale next Friday. :thumbsup:

I always feel weird mowing my driveway. I mean, it's a driveway, why do I have to mow the dang thing!
Nothing grows on our gravel driveway. A thousand years from now it will still be barren.

Now the concrete driveway, that's another story. You need to be careful walking across that, you could pick up some ticks

Back