The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated. I forgot to ask, what hardness should I ask for for optimized 4V for a 6" knife as outlined above to meet its strength criteria?

I run 63-64 for comp choppers. Came in 1st and 2nd in last weekend's big race. Holds up to rough use pretty well and stays sharp.

Thank you again for the precious info and your willingness to share it. BTW, is it possible for someone like me to send in a blade or two to you for Delta HT, or is Peter's my best option?

Last edited:
Nathan, the Behemoth'er is definitely gonna be a production thing, albeit a sprint run, right?

From the photo which was posted on your IG and then in here a few days ago, it seems that you're giving it more of a belly, or is that just my own illusion? If you are sweeping it up a bit because of the taller grinds and let's say that I'd ask for a swedge as a semi-custom option, would that kinda defeat the form and function which are optimizing it for?

Nathan, which one of your 2020 projects (let's say production rather than the one-off) are you the most excited about and why?

See, now that's a good question. Some questions here are dumb... dumb in that they are not very creative. They don't make Nathan think. He can just answer with a yes or no. There's no respect for the man with that kind of question. It wastes his time. It shows a lack of creativity on the part of the questioner.

This question... this is good. I requires thought. It shows respect.

This is a good question.

See, now that's a good question. Some questions here are dumb... dumb in that they are not very creative. They don't make Nathan think. He can just answer with a yes or no. There's no respect for the man with that kind of question. It wastes his time. It shows a lack of creativity on the part of the questioner.

This question... this is good. I requires thought. It shows respect.

This is a good question.

#uncmattyisresposiblefor90%ofthedumbquestionstoo :D

I love the edge stability on my FK2, delta 3v truly is an amazing steel. However, I really do believe that a decrease in the stock thickness, while maintaining equivalent geometry, would improve cutting performance dramatically without any negative impacts for use seen out in the field.

Nathan, have you ever thought about making a slim utility field knife model with a blade thickness of around 0.15''? I'm sure a lot of us here would love to see that.

Cheers

I love the edge stability on my FK2, delta 3v truly is an amazing steel. However, I really do believe that a decrease in the stock thickness, while maintaining equivalent geometry, would improve cutting performance dramatically without any negative impacts for use seen out in the field.

Nathan, have you ever thought about making a slim utility field knife model with a blade thickness of around 0.15''? I'm sure a lot of us here would love to see that.

Cheers
Or 1/8" full flat ground D2?;):D

DEK1 will be in the .17" range

Lorien,

Why .17" thick? What application(s) did you design this knife for that require such a stout thickness? Maybe the answers to these questions are buried in the DEK1 thread and I just missed them. Either way, it would be nice to review again since specific data on this model has been sparse and spread out over a long period of time.

Thanks!

Phil

Cheers

Thought about? yes

Nathan, are you a fan of spear point patterns? Do you foresee incorporating a true spear point into any future CPK patterns? Those of us who have been around with you for the past several years know that you do experiment with lowering the point of your knives and / or giving them more bellies as you go through tweaks during the life span of a pattern, but I was discussing the "merits" of spear points with Grog and thought that I'd ask your take.

FWIW, I personally prefer the option of a swedge as an extra add-on feature instead of a classic spear point, but that's just me!

Back