The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan,

I’d just like to confirm-will there be another sale of the fk2 knives in January?

Thanks

I was going to do one tomorrow but we need to finish the last of the UF pre-order first. We'll do a FK2 sale next Friday, the 10th. I'll update the next-sale thread. Thanks for reminding me!

Nathan, I am thinking of doing my own stonewash finish on on one of my UF. What do you suggest as the type of acid and duration of soak to get a pretty dark finish.
3V reacts well with ferric chloride. a 5-minute soak in a half strength ferric chloride solution will do it.

Hi Nathan!

Here is a thread created for the sole purpose of asking you questions directly, in one centralized place so it's easy for people in the future to find little tidbits of info or perhaps even find the answer to a question they have you might have already addressed.

Hopefully this one can stay on topic so it doesn't become needlessly long. I promise I will do my best not to derail it. Maybe it will even save you a PM or two!

So my question is:

Which models will you accept for a service back at the shop, and what is the cost of that service?

Perhaps I have a medium grit ground finish 6'" Utility Fighter that is showing some wear, and I would like that to get returned to shop fresh appearance, and get the bad boy shaving sharp again.

Maybe I just need a LC returned to that shaving sharp condition it arrived in and I don't have the bench stones to do it myself.

Thanks for your time!
Hello all. I am having the hardest time navigating on here hence I am new to the forums. I have a blade question and I can’t seem to upload the image of a particular blade I’m searching about but does anyone know of a knife maker who uses the skull and crossed arrows with a knife piercing through the skull as their maker mark?? It’s a 10” carbon fixed blade with U.S.A on one side and the maker mark with a kind of a graffiti styled signature on the other. I can’t identify this knife for the life of me and it’s worse since I can’t upload the image I have on here. Thanks for any help.

Hello all. I am having the hardest time navigating on here hence I am new to the forums. I have a blade question and I can’t seem to upload the image of a particular blade I’m searching about but does anyone know of a knife maker who uses the skull and crossed arrows with a knife piercing through the skull as their maker mark?? It’s a 10” carbon fixed blade with U.S.A on one side and the maker mark with a kind of a graffiti styled signature on the other. I can’t identify this knife for the life of me and it’s worse since I can’t upload the image I have on here. Thanks for any help.

Someone here may know the answer to your question but you might get better responses if you were to post this out on the general discussion forum. Right now you are in a particular knifemakers sub forum

Any updates on the K18?

We finished cutting up the sheet today. It won't fit right on our regular automatic grinder so we're going to have to deck it on a bigger grinder over at my other shop space but that grinder needs a retrofit to process 3V due to distortion we run into in this alloy caused by problems with conventional abrasives in a material with this much vanadium carbide and a part this large. That retrofit is going to take some machining and I got the machine for that retrofit up and running over there last night. Once decked the blanks themselves will run on our big Mori here and it just opened up yesterday. I had planned to put the K18 on it now but I don't have sheet decked yet so I'll start the DEK1 on it instead to maintain some productivity here while I wait to get the big automatic grinder setup for 3V sheet.

This sucks by the way.

I don't normally run parts this big and I knew coming into this there would be some hiccups but I haven't made the headway on this project that I have planed on at this point. I was worried that might be the case so I gave myself plenty of time so I do think we will deliver on time, but right now there isn't much to show you. A custom run of 3V cut into big piles of steel stacked on a pallet waiting to be decked.

...Can't deck it on a mill. It's too big it will taco.

Hey Nathan, thanks for taking the time. Man when it comes to your work and the way your pride kicks in, no one explains the status and the processes better than you do.

I hope that you will have one in the (almost) final version to take to Blade 2020 :) No I won’t be there but I want you to show it off and make some more money on this pattern because I doubt very much if the preorder numbers made too much financial sense!

I know that Dr. Dan Keffeler brought his prototype last year and will most likely have more of ‘em but your iteration ought to sell quite a few more when people see it and touch it which will create more buzz about it :)

I’ll be happy to wait and get mine even if I have to wait another 12 months from today because I feel that you offered us such a sweet deal on these K18s :thumbsup:

Back