The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

They might close the borders with New York, who knows?

I rely heavily on Peters to help me with the heat treat. If I have to bring all heat treat back in house it will drastically reduce our output. We have attempted to qualify other vendors with the Delta protocol but to date Peters is the only commercial heat treater that has been able to duplicate the process.

And if I do bring heat treat back in house continued access to cryogenic materials is not guaranteed. It could get where I cannot even do the Delta protocol in house if I can't get liquid nitrogen for our cryo setup.

I'm not sure how many DEK1 are going to be available this year. A lot of that depends on how badly our economy takes an enormous shit here in the next few months and how that affects our supply chain.

We need a fuuuuuuck button next to the like button for times like these

Snip ... the popular low volume "hard thin" variants need to be saved for the pre-orders (which are shipped as the custom scales are produced)...

Mystery wood (prolly something really crappy like used popsicle sticks) $150

Nathan, have you made a decision regarding the above? Are you going to be offering multiple choices like you did with the UF / DEF preorders?

So them squared spine FKs.... a while back in the line?
Yes, the very back.
They have to all be finished, ground, tumbled and about ready to go and then they will all get the spine done in the same setup. There were two heat treat variations, we're waiting on the second batch to finish. The sharp spines will be the last to finish.

I remember reading that you came up with a tweaked/optimized heat treat for D2/PSF27 for slitting operations. Do you use that heat treat on the PSF27 knives you produce?
Or maybe some other optimized heat treat for your PSF27 blades?
Are the tweaks similar to those used in your 3V heat treat?
And what I’m really getting at - Does your PSF27 end up with higher corrosion resistance due to more free chromium?
Thanks

Yes, the very back.
They have to all be finished, ground, tumbled and about ready to go and then they will all get the spine done in the same setup. There were two heat treat variations, we're waiting on the second batch to finish. The sharp spines will be the last to finish.
now that I have my FK back and have been using it a lot, I have to say that I think a square edge spine on this knife may provide the utility of starting a fire by scraping a ferro rod, but nothing else. If you are using this knife to cut and carve stuff, you are going to hate that square edge spine in short order. I tend to push against the spine a lot with my thumb when carving and being able to do that opens lots of possibilities for different kinds of cuts and holds that increases safety and control

that's just my two cents. I think you're better off carrying a little piece of hacksaw blade for that specific use and trust in Nate's ability to produce a knife that considers all the angles, (no pun intended)

Some people use the sharp spine to fluff a stick and other legitimate bush craft. It's like having a car with a manual transmission, it ain't for everybody but some people prefer it

Since you quoted cars which is my business, I have to chime in, I JUST MUST!

If I were to live in a place that rained a lot and snowed some and if I had a steep driveway to get in but more crucially get out of when muddy, dealing with heavy mud and gravel, I would own nothing but a small / midsize beat up 4WD rig with stick transmission to get me to the top of the hill where I'd park my all fancy full size truck with auto tran & 4WD :D

Some people use the sharp spine to fluff a stick and other legitimate bush craft. It's like having a car with a manual transmission, it ain't for everybody but some people prefer it
well then I think you should let me design you a proper bushcraft knife...

been thinking on it for years and I think it's time to bust out the sketchbook again. Got some unique ideas that I haven't really seen out there
That’s what I like to hear, unique ideas by Lorien- sounds like a good business name to supplement your bike shop.

every knife I’ve seen with your logo I’ve liked so do all of us a favor and contact Nathan about some machine time for your next project :)

Nathan, has the 2020 Blade Show been actually cancelled or are you just proactively making your own alternative plans as you have stated in the NS thread?

I don't think that the speculated April 30th date to open up the Country may be a realistic one and may very well be pushed back to the end of May, but wanted to know if Blade was just too risky for you or what?

Nathan, has the 2020 Blade Show been actually cancelled or are you just proactively making your own alternative plans as you have stated in the NS thread?

I don't think that the speculated April 30th date to open up the Country may be a realistic one and may very well be pushed back to the end of May, but wanted to know if Blade was just too risky for you or what?
They are supposed to make a final decision this week.

Back