The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

The wood is Osage orange, African Blackwood and Cocobolo and one made of used popsicle sticks I found in a dumpster behind the elementary school that I pasted together just for you..

Oh man! Matty gets all the good stuff! I’m envisioning how glorious that dumpster dive, reclaimed, laminated popsicle stick handle will be - with its wonderful rainbow of dye stains - the greenish fungus stains, the absolutely sinister black bacterial stains, and maybe a few blood and saliva stains from gum slivers received while chewing on the sticks. I so envy you, Matty. I can only hope that Nathan will go the distance and finish your corroded, 1/2” thick aluminum plate blade with a nice 24 grit finish, before he rainbow anodized it. For authenticities sake, I really hope that he doesn’t wipe all of the J-B Weld off of the spine where it squishes out from under the scales as he fastens them in place with multiple bent over bobby-pins. :p:D Mike

Oh man! Matty gets all the good stuff! I’m envisioning how glorious that dumpster dive, reclaimed, laminated popsicle stick handle will be - with its wonderful rainbow of dye stains - the greenish fungus stains, the absolutely sinister black bacterial stains, and maybe a few blood and saliva stains from gum slivers received while chewing on the sticks. I so envy you, Matty. I can only hope that Nathan will go the distance and finish your corroded, 1/2” thick aluminum plate blade with a nice 24 grit finish, before he rainbow anodized it. For authenticities sake, I really hope that he doesn’t wipe all of the J-B Weld off of the spine where it squishes out from under the scales as he fastens them in place with multiple bent over bobby-pins. :p:D Mike

Don't forget all the boogers that Nathan promised!

Not a Q but an observation:

Out of sheer boredom, I looked up your wares on the Big Auction site. Man, even during this pandemic FUD, you're the knifemakers' rockstar. No CPKs currently for sale but a check of the completed, apart from one straggler selling below MSRP (unused UFK for that matter) every other one was north of your prices on here though you. I still think that you should try it over there when you produce enough basic ones to exceed your demand on here, over the Big River site which is a PITA because the $ will go directly into your own PP as you get the cha-ching from completed orders. On Big River, you have less control over your revenue stream from there.

Kephart. We're grinding the sheet now.

Integral Shiv

Folder

Ahhhhhh the Integral Shiv, I made Need a Few of these:thumbsup::D

9ca588a2bd707a9e166d3ae4766088a4.jpg

Last edited:
And those who like old brit bikes/cars also need to have Whitworth tools....

Wow...think I actually have a few of those from my dad.

Was cleaning some stuff in the garage and found the Whitworth stuff I have. It's a socket set, made in the USA by Dunlap. Don't think I'll ever have an old British car or bike, so if anyone could use them let me know.

View attachment 1320309

I finally picked up the knife that turned me on to Carothers, an HDFK (thanks a million, @dtmbinb!). I cannot wait to use it this summer. Is there any way to get non-black fasteners for it?

Yes, its a standard 8-32 flat head cap screw. You can find them anywhere or ask Jo for some.

Hey Nathan why do you not recommend acid wash finish for user knives? I love the look and planned to ask for it on a FK2.

Like paint it shows wear. It's useful if you want a darker low reflection finish but once you use the knife some it will start to wear.

Back