The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I may have been a little too overzealous with my new Beast from the Southeast! :eek: I think I hit some pebbles in the ground while bashing through sapling roots. :oops: I couldn't help myself, this thing was striking down upon those saplings with great vengeance and furious anger!

Best way to restore this damage? I'm not really a skilled sharpener, so should I send this in for rehab and a promise to keep it away from rocks?? ;)

GfXpTA7.jpg

VpSZ6KG.jpg

PMeEEkU.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not unusual to find grit and rock in the bark and wood near the base of a tree. And certainly in the soil around it.

This was our goal with optimized 3V, to achieve a level of durability at narrow edge angles against this kind of edge damage similar to other high performance steels like Infi. This is why we run our choppers harder than most, the dents are less severe when you inevitably do hit a rock. The steel is durable, but (like anything) it's going to take some dings if you're using it with abandon. Which is the best way to use it. Put a micro bevel on it at 25 DPS and get 90% of the dings out and go smash the shit out of some more stuff, that what it's for. If you pick up a real ding that's going to require water cooled powered sharpening, send it back in for some love. :thumbsup:

What techniques and implements would you use? Is there a recommended protocol for sharpening edge damage on a D3V chopper?

I'm not great at holding fixed angles either and have tried a few different approaches. I agree with others that you're not putting a scalpel edge on these things it's less critical to get all the nicks and catches out.

I've been using (and mostly find ok) something like the Ruxin Pro sharpening system from Amazon (of which there are a hundred different names). I run mine with Edge Pro stones, and it's close to fool proof. You can adjust the angle to match the primary bevel (if you do want to move the bevel back to get the nicks out), and it's easy for me to get a good edge with that and a strop.

Nathan,
Will the Notakatana have a purposeful design phase where the blade, geometry and overall form will be engineered toward some intended purpose?

I'm thinking of the effort into design and testing and tweaking on the K18 with the end goal in mind.

Or will it be like the Kephart with an emphasis of historical faithfulness?

Nathan,
Will the Notakatana have a purposeful design phase where the blade, geometry and overall form will be engineered toward some intended purpose?

I'm thinking of the effort into design and testing and tweaking on the K18 with the end goal in mind.

A87EC890-21B8-49C0-834C-C3571790D9FB.jpeg

Nathan,

Well, he IS calling it a Notta-Katana...

Back