The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

To the stainless property of Magnacut…I was surprised to see it is going to be released in Spyderco’s salt line. That’s saying something. That’s been mostly H1 and more recently LC200N…big shoes to fill in that regard. And a welcome upgrade in edge retention.

Will be exciting to see the McMagnacut delta’d up!

Hi Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , I noticed the Dek2 is only in D3V. Will be Dek1 be offered in Magnacut?

ETA: would love to try some MagnaCut but I probably won't risk getting a Dek3 confiscated by customs, so hoping for a Dek1 in it.

Yes. Magnacut is perfect for our DEK1.

Good morning Nathan. You mention the top swedge of the DEK3 may be sharpened.
Are there options/ possibilities for an entire top portion sharpened? Something like sharpened swedge to full sharpened point, like a dagger?

I missed out on the sharpened point option on the DEK1 ignorantly assuming the penetrator tip meant the same.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey Nathan, which type of steel would you prefer for a DEK3 with sharpened top edge, modified D3V or Magnacut?

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

I'm very partial to Delta 3V but Magnacut is a pretty interesting material and the DEK is a good application for it. Personally, Delta 3V. I don't need salt level stainlessness, I'm primarily concerned about my knife's ability to remain sharp without damage in my normal use and so far D3V is still king there.

People have an amazing inability to understand what edge retention actually is. It seems self explanatory, but apparently it's not. It's like toughness vs durability.

Durability is usually related to strength and strength is inversely related to toughness. So when I see someone say that a material has the toughness to shrug off damage such as chipping or rolling they're not talking about toughness at all (quite likely the opposite). It's durability (a combination of ductility at high hardness and strength), but "durability" is not a well defined term with an objective number or value which is what makes it so difficult to have discussions on the internet with people because you never know where someone is coming from and their experience and understanding on the subject. A lot of the internet is folks who are well read but have little real experience talking about things like edge retention and toughness but using values related to abrasive wear resistance and Charpy impact testing.

The Sebenza I carry is S35VN at about 59 HRC. S35VN is an excellent alloy (and at this hardness it is quite "tough") but it's honestly pretty dreadful in their execution in this application. I used it to pry some staples out of wood the other day and it is wrecked where one of my knives could have cut through the staples with less damage. It has very good abrasive wear resistance values and toughness so on paper it looks pretty good, but in this application it's really pretty bad. It won't stay sharp. My whole company is based on the understanding that this is not good edge retention and there are ways to make knives that perform.

Long segway there, I'm sorry. But the point I'm reaching at is I'm concerned about actual real edge retention (the ability to retain an edge, duh) and in my experience, Delta 3V is the best choice for me.

There are multiple ways to achieve a given hardness with a given material that will have different properties. Focusing on just the rockwell hardness number is missing a lot of detail

3V is designed as a mostly lath martensite. We normally straddle the line with a mix but we can push the aust temp and time to put enough carbon in solution to form more plate martensite. This approach always comes at the expense of additional retained austenite which almost always needs to be addressed in the primary quench to prevent a mix of problems. We have techniques to address this (it's not just cryo) and we can use a variation of the standard Delta protocol for these hard thin knives that gives this lovely material a little bit more of that crisp edge that performs so well at narrow edge angles. We used it on the OG field knives, it was an option on the hard-thin FK2 and it will be used on the DEK3.

Last edited:
Good morning Nathan. You mention the top swedge of the DEK3 may be sharpened.
Are there options/ possibilities for an entire top portion sharpened? Something like sharpened swedge to full sharpened point, like a dagger?

I missed out on the sharpened point option on the DEK1 ignorantly assuming the penetrator tip meant the same.

Thank you.

Sure

I think it would be great if you stickied a thread of your past, current and / or future posts on your views of what edge retention, toughness, durability mean.

I know I look forward to these gems and I'll bet I speak for most of us here, and those who will be coming to the site in future.

(You can simply lock and reopen the thread as applicable.)

How about it?

Will the DEK’s be preorder only or will you run some of each version for Friday sales also?
We'll make plenty extras. There will be Friday sales and there will be plenty to go around. We won't run out like last time, I've learned my lesson.

I'm very partial to Delta 3V but Magnacut is a pretty interesting material and the DEK is a good application for it. Personally, Delta 3V. I don't need salt level stainlessness, I'm primarily concerned about my knife's ability to remain sharp without damage in my normal use and so far D3V is still king there.

People have an amazing inability to understand what edge retention actually is. It seems self explanatory, but apparently it's not. It's like toughness vs durability.

Durability is usually related to strength and strength is inversely related to toughness. So when I see someone say that a material has the toughness to shrug off damage such as chipping or rolling they're not talking about toughness at all (quite likely the opposite). It's durability (a combination of ductility at high hardness and strength), but "durability" is not a well defined term with an objective number or value which is what makes it so difficult to have discussions on the internet with people because you never know where someone is coming from and their experience and understanding on the subject. A lot of the internet is folks who are well read but have little real experience talking about things like edge retention and toughness but using values related to abrasive wear resistance and Charpy impact testing.

The Sebenza I carry is S35VN at about 59 HRC. S35VN is an excellent alloy (and at this hardness it is quite "tough") but it's honestly pretty dreadful in their execution in this application. I used it to pry some staples out of wood the other day and it is wrecked where one of my knives could have cut through the staples with less damage. It has very good abrasive wear resistance values and toughness so on paper it looks pretty good, but in this application it's really pretty bad. It won't stay sharp. My whole company is based on the understanding that this is not good edge retention and there are ways to make knives that perform.

Long segway there, I'm sorry. But the point I'm reaching at is I'm concerned about actual real edge retention (the ability to retain an edge, duh) and in my experience, Delta 3V is the best choice for me.

There are multiple ways to achieve a given hardness with a given material that will have different properties. Focusing on just the rockwell hardness number is missing a lot of detail

3V is designed as a mostly lath martensite. We normally straddle the line with a mix but we can push the aust temp and time to put enough carbon in solution to form more plate martensite. This approach always comes at the expense of additional retained austenite which almost always needs to be addressed in the primary quench to prevent a mix of problems. We have techniques to address this (it's not just cryo) and we can use a variation of the standard Delta protocol for these hard thin knives that gives this lovely material a little bit more of that crisp edge that performs so well at narrow edge angles. We used it on the OG field knives, it was an option on the hard-thin FK2 and it will be used on the DEK3.
Just wondering if you've decided what HRc you'll be shooting for with Magnacut, or whether that's something still TBD with further testing?

Just wondering if you've decided what HRc you'll be shooting for with Magnacut, or whether that's something still TBD with further testing?
At least 62 on the DEK1 and possibly more on the DEK3. We've done preliminary testing but there is more homework to do.

Back