The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan is it still possible to order some Tero Tuff scales for a LC since you’re making some for the 4V run?

Nathan,

I think you will find many of us collectors who keep your work for both collecting/viewing and as tools for working with, do enjoy materials designed for work as part of authentic CPK design as a tool.

Originally I never bought TT, only Micarta in bigger stuff and G10 in mid size as G10 black is black and I like my black black. However after a little research decided to try one set in TT for the LC. Now I love it.

Though most of my CPK is for collecting, every single one is outfitted as a tool, and one day should the need/desire arise will serve that role well.

Fair enough, I'll put some TT in the mix on the next run. I probably won't show it, but it will be there if requested.

My thoughts on some of these materials:

TT has light weight, grip when wet or dry and shock absorption. IMO it's less attractive and it isn't as stable as other synthetics, but its properties make it ideal on a chopper. To me it's a little unsightly and its attributes aren't as well utilized on something like an EDC, I like my EDC to be a little dressier, but the EDC is a working tool and it's a good material for sweaty hands so I will make some. I don't think it would be a sanitary material to use in the kitchen or skinning game.

Micarta is heavier than TT but lighter than G10. Good grip wet or dry. It's attractive and stable and works well in most applications. It's strong and has the best wear resistance so it will hold up over years of hard use without breaking down. Not all micarta is created equal, I stay away from the import stuff and try to stick to known proven quality materials. The micarta I use is well impregnated and I consider it sanitary in the kitchen and skinning game.

G10 is heavy and has less grip and poor shock absorption. It is very stable, attractive, sanitary and strong. It's good on small scales where the weight difference is minimal and impact is a non-issue. Despite its popularity I wouldn't want it on a chopper. Despite being hard and having high glass fiber content it has mediocre abrasion resistance and extended use in a gritty sheath will cause it to wear. Probably not enough to cause a functional problem, but I'd stick to micarta if I were carrying a lot in gritty locations.

Wood is nice.

These thoughts are applicable if the knife is being used hard. I recognize that folks enjoy acquiring knives for many reasons, and I have a lot of gratitude for the collectors who make this venture possible, but at the end of the day I am dedicated to building hard use tools for end users who use them hard. I have carried and used knives for a long time and I used to go through about one a year. They'd wear down or break down. I graduated to better knives that held up better, perform better and are safer to use. That's my experience. And I build my work for that person like me who works things hard and wears things out. I'm focused on building hard use working tools. So, when I don't offer G10 on a big knife, it's because I wouldn't want it there. A collector may feel different, and that collector's point of view is perfectly valid, but I have to make judgments based on personal experience and go with what I know.
Understood! Thanks, Nathan!

It was also great to get your thoughts on each material, appreciate the write up!

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for the write up on handle materials, that was great info.
Two questions, can micarta come in colors like hunter orange ? I've seen green, black , natural, burgundy and I've wondering about orange. Next on the HDFK " NASK "
Is the tang skeletonized or solid steel under the grips ? I just couldn't find this info anywhere. I thought I saw photos of a LC without handles and it was skeletonized ?
But I could be wrong , just curious to know
:) thank you

Bright colors are difficult to do with micarta because the base resin turns brown. But yes, you could make orange micarta, but I haven't see it, probably because it wouldn't stay very bright. There is a similar material (not G10 and not micarta) that is a burnt orange at Alpha Knife Supply.

Yes, the HDFK is skeletonized.

Nathan,

I saw you favor orange Osage.... any plans to offer it as a handle material on future runs? Would be awesome on an EDC 2! Orange Osage and Lignum Vitae are my favorite handle materials on smaller knives!

Thank you for the fast reply.
I was just curious about micarta and colors. I tend to try and buy knives I like, as one to use. Then try and collect the same knife in different colors. I just really enjoy the variations and how colors can make the same knife look so different :)
Thank you

Hello Nathan,

on the HDFK " NASK "
Is the tang skeletonized or solid steel under the grips ? I just couldn't find this info anywhere. I thought I saw photos of a LC without handles and it was skeletonized ?
But I could be wrong , just curious to know
:) thank you

20171009_094606.jpg

Nathan- I'm new to this forum but interested in your products.

Do you work with Delta3v? If so do you have any in production or near future plans?

Is the Friday sale the only way to se your work and purchase?

Thanks

Nathan- I'm new to this forum but interested in your products.

Do you work with Delta3v? If so do you have any in production or near future plans?

Is the Friday sale the only way to se your work and purchase?

Thanks

Yes I work with Delta 3V, I invented it. The Delta protocol is a cutlery specific heat treat for CPM 3V that is optimized for knives and addresses the edge stability limitations of the industry standard heat treat. It is the corner stone of our high performance knife build allowing thinner geometry that is light, cuts well and holds an edge without sacrificing durability. I use it in the majority of our work.

Our knives can be ordered during our periodic pre-orders and they can be purchased at the Atlanta Blade Show, on our Friday sales, and occasionally at Fort Henry Knives (our only dealer). Information about upcoming sales and pre-orders can be found on the first post in the stickied thread at the top of this subforum and is usually mentioned in the previous sale and in my signature as well.

New patterns and specialty work is sold on this forum. This allows me to post and lock, which gives people a chance to read and understand what is for sale before the sale starts. Established work that people are familiar with is sold out on the main sale forum here: https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

Thank you for your interest in our work.

Hey Nathan, a good while back someone asked about the possibility of you producing liners for the original Field Knife. Did that ever happen by chance? I wouldn't be surprised with a "no" here as you seem to run at max output as is. ;) Not sure if there's enough interest to make it worth your while.

But...I really like the thickness of the new HDFK handle. I am interested in approximating that thickness with liners on my existing FK. Looks like the HDFK uses 1/8" liners (and slightly thicker stock)? I'm guess just adding the same would get me close.

Hey Nathan, a good while back someone asked about the possibility of you producing liners for the original Field Knife. Did that ever happen by chance? I wouldn't be surprised with a "no" here as you seem to run at max output as is. ;) Not sure if there's enough interest to make it worth your while.

But...I really like the thickness of the new HDFK handle. I am interested in approximating that thickness with liners on my existing FK. Looks like the HDFK uses 1/8" liners (and slightly thicker stock)? I'm guess just adding the same would get me close.

If you do go DIY this, you may want to source some slightly longer screws.

Back