The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I think Justin is referring to your past wish to see the HC pattern to become a Carothers production pattern and Nathan not wishing to put it into production at the time, because he had deemed the HC to be a heavy and stupid knife (I'm paraphrasing).

I think Justin is referring to your past wish to see the HC pattern to become a Carothers production pattern and Nathan not wishing to put it into production at the time, because he had deemed the HC to be a heavy and stupid knife (I'm paraphrasing).

Me being a heavy and stupid guy I'm sure I'd enjoy one.

Nathan, will the Medium Chopper replace the LC as a somewhat regular offering in the future? (2018 sometime) Thanks:)

Nathan, will the Medium Chopper replace the LC as a somewhat regular offering in the future? (2018 sometime) Thanks:)

not a specific reply to your question here since I won't speak for Nate, but fyi; I am working on a new light chopper design and will be developing a proto over the next year

not a specific reply to your question here since I won't speak for Nate, but fyi; I am working on a new light chopper design and will be developing a proto over the next year

Oooh, exciting! Suddenly I feel less sad about missing out on the last of the LCs

Thanks Lorien. I'm really looking forward to becoming a little more broke about this time next year: MC / FK-2 / New-LC / DEK-1 + a few more CPKs here and there in between, as I just can't seem to be able to stop myself! Yup, this should do it...

Wasn't planning to. Why would someone want that on that little EDC?
Because it feels good in the hand and has those awesome streaks of black set within a beautiful sea of gray. And silhouettes perfectly as a gray man tool for urban carry. Looks good (YMMV), blends in well wolf gray gear...

Wasn't planning to. Why would someone want that on that little EDC?
With all due respect, I believe you should offer the people what they want (within reason). Just like G10 on bigger knives. Just cuz you don't like it / understand it, doesn't mean a customer doesn't and won't buy it.

A perfectly legitimate reason could simply be for collection purposes. They like the handle material and want it on all their knives to make a 'set'.

But, you're the Boss / Evil Genius!

Cheers :)

If I may, .... G10 on a Behemoth or big knife is an insurance liability risk, believe it or not. A product liability issue.

Do you have any idea what it was like in the early days for skateboard manufacturers who used wheels that had an inherent defect? They are out of business. Same thing applies with any product that has inherent danger attached. The manufacturer tries to lessen the possibility of liability from injury, resulting from using a slippier set of scales?

I certainly don't in any way mean to speak for Nathan, but product liabillity is a real issue manufacturers face each day.

Last edited:
Personally, I am OK with G10 on blades both big and small. Had a Battle Mistress handled in sculpted G10 pass through my hands a few months back. And you can order the AK-47 with G10 right now. But TeroTuf? I do not see many makers offering TeroTuf. And none that I am aware of who are offsetting shrinkage with a liner. CPK TeroTuf is a true exclusive! A limited run would be fantastic. As part of a normal production run would be even better :)

I don't understand why G10 in and of itself increases liability:confused:

terotuf for the edc isn't a terrible idea, but to my way of thinking micarta, G10 and wood are better options from a finishing perspective. All things being equal, Terotuf is a little grippier, but it really doesn't look great compared to so many other options:poop:

G10 doesnt increase liability "in and of itself". But any good lawyer can argue that when the knifemaker had the choice, even the responsibility to find the least slippery handle, and the child in the house had a heavy knife slip through his hands and cut off his foot, well, that's how it works in the states, Lorien, probably less problematic in Canada.

I don't understand why G10 in and of itself increases liability:confused:

terotuf for the edc isn't a terrible idea, but to my way of thinking micarta, G10 and wood are better options from a finishing perspective. All things being equal, Terotuf is a little grippier, but it really doesn't look great compared to so many other options:poop:
Funny, because TeroTuf looks the best to me out of all the handles offered by Nathan, by far.

You said it yourself before; different strokes for different folks.

Offer em all, Nathan!

Back