The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

G10 doesnt increase liability "in and of itself". But any good lawyer can argue that when the knifemaker had the choice, even the responsibility to find the least slippery handle, and the child in the house had a heavy knife slip through his hands and cut off his foot, well, that's how it works in the states, Lorien, probably less problematic in Canada.
I'm sure Nathan could offer a legal warning or some BS if he had to, with the product, to keep himself safe.

I've had G10 on THREE different Busse NMFBM's that weigh far more than Nathan's blades. Never had an issue. And i'm Australian so we chop shit up bare foot.

Admittedly I don't currently reside in an extremely humid or wet environment, but I think that for working purposes under most circumstances, CPK's unbuffed canvas micarta is truly awesome if one is concerned about grippiness, sure handed reliability and looks.

Most I interact with think TeroTuf grips well but looks like sheeiit.
That really doesn't matter because it's purely subjective. We could argue about what looks better, but that's not what Lawrie aimed for when asking for TeroTuf on the EDC.

Let's keep it on topic boys :thumbsup::cool:

Admittedly I don't currently reside in an extremely humid or wet environment, but I think that for working purposes under most circumstances, CPK's unbuffed canvas micarta is truly awesome if one is concerned about grippiness, sure handed reliability and looks.
I live on the driest continent on Earth. You know what gets all wet and slippery? Ya hands after some hard work. I like G10, that shows what does the job. Of course, Micarta is a huge step above that, and TeroTuf even more.

Point being, people want it, please offer it :)

I live on the driest continent on Earth. You know what gets all wet and slippery? Ya hands after some hard work. I like G10, that shows what does the job. Of course, Micarta is a huge step above that, and TeroTuf even more.

Depends on the work, grasshopper ;)

If the work is skinning and gutting prey after a hunt, you would not want TT. Under such circumstances: G10, wood, antique edge cut micarta / linen micarta, buffed canvas and lastly unbuffed canvas micarta, in the the order listed for the most hygiene.

Tero Tuf on the Top and Unbuffed Black Canvas on the bottom! For a user Any Micarta, Linen or Canvas is great, But Tero Tuf's grip is the best (Humid, Wet Conditions) and is unbeatable IMO, especially with a Sasquatch, BC, LC, etc

Depends on the work, grasshopper ;)

If the work is skinning and gutting prey after a hunt, you would not want TT. Under such circumstances: G10, wood, antique edge cut micarta / linen micarta, buffed canvas and lastly unbuffed canvas micarta, in the the order listed for the most hygiene.
The EDC's geometry does not really lend itself to field processing game IMHO. General purpose for sure, but more like yard work then hunting. Terotuf would be stellar. AND yes it would match my HDFK choice making a nice pair.

It just seems odd to me that in a, virtually side by side production run, one scale material gets dropped for seemingly no reason....

Lawrie

The EDC's geometry does not really lend itself to field processing game IMHO. General purpose for sure, but more like yard work then hunting. Terotuf would be stellar. AND yes it would match my HDFK choice making a nice pair.

It just seems odd to me that in a, virtually side by side production run, one scale material gets dropped for seemingly no reason....

Lawrie

Lawrie, IMO CPKs best knife vis a vis geometry, ergos, weight, size, shape todate for hunting; is still the venerable FK :thumbsup:

Lawrie, IMO CPKs best knife vis a vis geometry, ergos, weight, size, shape todate for hunting; is still the venerable FK :thumbsup:
Would definitely agree the FK, however I have used the Edc on small game (Rabbits and squirrels) and it performs great! I grew up field dressing game with a 3 inch blade, The EDC will also be more than adequate for Field Dressing deer also

that shadetree stuff feels just like terotuf and is just fine for a small knife like the edc. Just as grippy

Please don't laugh too hard, but rookie question(s) about heat treating/curious about ongoing efforts:

if the delta protocol releases more free chromium at optimal temp, is it possible to add a second protocol to the treatment process that will leave the integrity of delta, but elevate other elements/create other optimizations, such as ice hardening, before the metal has fully cooled? I assume that heat treatments are difficult if not impossible to stack without losing the effect of the prior treatment. But if you have a moment, would be grateful if you could shed any light on any exciting RND you might be running in the background, or if you can share any respected/inspirational resources for off-forum reading.

I'm new to cpk but when is the next batch of field knives coming up? Either preorder or Friday sales .

Fair enough, I'll put some TT in the mix on the next run. I probably won't show it, but it will be there if requested.

My thoughts on some of these materials:

TT has light weight, grip when wet or dry and shock absorption. IMO it's less attractive and it isn't as stable as other synthetics, but its properties make it ideal on a chopper. To me it's a little unsightly and its attributes aren't as well utilized on something like an EDC, I like my EDC to be a little dressier, but the EDC is a working tool and it's a good material for sweaty hands so I will make some. I don't think it would be a sanitary material to use in the kitchen or skinning game.

Micarta is heavier than TT but lighter than G10. Good grip wet or dry. It's attractive and stable and works well in most applications. It's strong and has the best wear resistance so it will hold up over years of hard use without breaking down. Not all micarta is created equal, I stay away from the import stuff and try to stick to known proven quality materials. The micarta I use is well impregnated and I consider it sanitary in the kitchen and skinning game.

G10 is heavy and has less grip and poor shock absorption. It is very stable, attractive, sanitary and strong. It's good on small scales where the weight difference is minimal and impact is a non-issue. Despite its popularity I wouldn't want it on a chopper. Despite being hard and having high glass fiber content it has mediocre abrasion resistance and extended use in a gritty sheath will cause it to wear. Probably not enough to cause a functional problem, but I'd stick to micarta if I were carrying a lot in gritty locations.

Wood is nice.

These thoughts are applicable if the knife is being used hard. I recognize that folks enjoy acquiring knives for many reasons, and I have a lot of gratitude for the collectors who make this venture possible, but at the end of the day I am dedicated to building hard use tools for end users who use them hard. I have carried and used knives for a long time and I used to go through about one a year. They'd wear down or break down. I graduated to better knives that held up better, perform better and are safer to use. That's my experience. And I build my work for that person like me who works things hard and wears things out. I'm focused on building hard use working tools. So, when I don't offer G10 on a big knife, it's because I wouldn't want it there. A collector may feel different, and that collector's point of view is perfectly valid, but I have to make judgments based on personal experience and go with what I know.

Last edited:
I'm new to cpk but when is the next batch of field knives coming up? Either preorder or Friday sales .

The next round of the Field Knife (version 2) will start to be run next spring. Thank you for your interest.

Last edited:
Please don't laugh too hard, but rookie question(s) about heat treating/curious about ongoing efforts:

if the delta protocol releases more free chromium at optimal temp, is it possible to add a second protocol to the treatment process that will leave the integrity of delta, but elevate other elements/create other optimizations, such as ice hardening, before the metal has fully cooled? I assume that heat treatments are difficult if not impossible to stack without losing the effect of the prior treatment. But if you have a moment, would be grateful if you could shed any light on any exciting RND you might be running in the background, or if you can share any respected/inspirational resources for off-forum reading.

Tool Steels, 4th and 5th edition, have the best most pertinent information that I have read.

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Steels-George-Roberts/dp/0871705990

Back