The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

^ not very nice of you to talk behind Tommy's back like that. Plus, wait your turn grasshopper as I have asked Nathan 3 questions yet to be answered:

1- what in his esteemed and expert opinion constitutes a "weapon" so far as blades are concerned?

2- what are the differences, if any, between the planned production model BC and the 15-20 of the prototype BCs (although not labeled as so) existing in the wild?

3- Um! I forgot :D

1 - this question justifies a video at some point. A big part of any knife design is the grip and how it allows a knife to be used. A weapon will generally need to work in a reverse grip and designed for effective stabbing. So the grip is short enough you can get your thumb over the end and the finger guard, grip swells and thumb ramp will all align to a hand in this grip to prevent it from slipping in a hard stab. Also, when held in a saber grip the grip on a well tuned knife will cause the knife to point naturally along the arm and not jut off to one side. There are weight issues (you usually want a weapon to be light and nimble) that are at odds with the tip strength and the higher moment of inertia you'd want in a stabbing weapon. Historically edged weapons often had a weighted pommel which gave the knife some resistance to rotation so an attempt to block the blade doesn't result in the point being bumped too far from its target. There are compromises in a design but you'll often see some weight at the ends, unnecessary weight removed from the blade (with a fuller not with thin stock, because of strength requirements) and some additional meat to reinforce behind the point. As a general rule there are thrust, cut, and thrust/cut weapons with their own sets of requirements, but all of them when used in modern combat are no longer a "left hand weapon" but in the right hand, frequently in a reverse grip, and used while grappling. In contrast, a knife that is primarily a tool will see a grip that is designed to accommodate multiple working grips (rather than fighting grips) in order to reduce hot spots and hand fatigue, allow different kinds of precision cuts, and a blade geometry intended to reduce drag in materials harder than people. This really needs a video with illustrations.

2 - The differences from the prototype BC to the production BC will be refinements to the handle and some minor tweaks to the grind.

3 - damn you're old

^ Shhh on the 3rd one. Let's just say older than you :D

Thank you for the response but I knew if I brought up tag-team wresting you with Sadie, I'd get your attention :p

P.S. while you're refining the BC handles, please jazz 'em up by also offering the Edgecut Antique Micarta option, purdy please :)

Nathan, do you have any plans on doing any D2 runs of the EDC-2? Your Delta 3V is awesome but I like your D2 even more on a small blade!

Any plans for PSF-27 for the FK 2.0 whenever that comes about? The HDFK is so great in that steel I think it would be perfect on something FK size.

Out of curiosity, how hard was the PSF-27 HDFK tested and how well did it hold up? I'm not expecting to abuse mine but can I safely expect that I can baton it without worry or should I keep that sort of use light and use it mostly as a cutting tool, saving the heavier work for D3V? This thing cuts like a demon, I don't want to wreck it by going too hard on it.

Nathan, do you have any plans on doing any D2 runs of the EDC-2? Your Delta 3V is awesome but I like your D2 even more on a small blade!

Any plans for PSF-27 for the FK 2.0 whenever that comes about? The HDFK is so great in that steel I think it would be perfect on something FK size.

Out of curiosity, how hard was the PSF-27 HDFK tested and how well did it hold up? I'm not expecting to abuse mine but can I safely expect that I can baton it without worry or should I keep that sort of use light and use it mostly as a cutting tool, saving the heavier work for D3V? This thing cuts like a demon, I don't want to wreck it by going too hard on it.

I can't rule out doing the EDC2 in D2 at some point but it's not in the schedule.
I agree with your thoughts on PSF27 on the FK 2. We'll see.
Yes I did test the PSF27 on the HDFK. That knife is pretty durable by design and PSF27 is relatively tough compared to most blade making materials. That's a heavy duty knife, don't be afraid to press it hard, it will be fine.

Nathan, you know that I goof and horse around in here more than I ought to specially for someone at my age, but that's just me! I'm very grateful for you taking the time to address my Q regarding your thoughts and opinions vis a vis weapons in form of a blade :thumbsup:

With your explanation etched in my head, I've been playing around with your CPK weapons, i.e, the Shiv and the UF in order to grasp the explanation in a tangible manner, if not ever in an actual situation (Lawdie forbid!!!). It is now more than clear to me that in a reverse
grip position the importance of being equipped with a double edge blade is very crucial in the pure definition as presented. I very much look forward to your video on the subject whenever you find the time to enlighten us some more. Thank you very much :)

1 - this question justifies a video at some point. A big part of any knife design is the grip and how it allows a knife to be used. A weapon will generally need to work in a reverse grip and designed for effective stabbing. So the grip is short enough you can get your thumb over the end and the finger guard, grip swells and thumb ramp will all align to a hand in this grip to prevent it from slipping in a hard stab. Also, when held in a saber grip the grip on a well tuned knife will cause the knife to point naturally along the arm and not jut off to one side. There are weight issues (you usually want a weapon to be light and nimble) that are at odds with the tip strength and the higher moment of inertia you'd want in a stabbing weapon. Historically edged weapons often had a weighted pommel which gave the knife some resistance to rotation so an attempt to block the blade doesn't result in the point being bumped too far from its target. There are compromises in a design but you'll often see some weight at the ends, unnecessary weight removed from the blade (with a fuller not with thin stock, because of strength requirements) and some additional meat to reinforce behind the point. As a general rule there are thrust, cut, and thrust/cut weapons with their own sets of requirements, but all of them when used in modern combat are no longer a "left hand weapon" but in the right hand, frequently in a reverse grip, and used while grappling. In contrast, a knife that is primarily a tool will see a grip that is designed to accommodate multiple working grips (rather than fighting grips) in order to reduce hot spots and hand fatigue, allow different kinds of precision cuts, and a blade geometry intended to reduce drag in materials harder than people. This really needs a video with illustrations.

been researching this stuff a fair amount lately in order to flesh out the DEK1. There are some pretty interesting non lethal techniques that employ locks and handle strikes, so you'll see some function built around that.
Although it's unlikely he'll have time to give feedback, I've been thinking on sending the aluminum model to Marcaida.

been researching this stuff a fair amount lately in order to flesh out the DEK1. There are some pretty interesting non lethal techniques that employ locks and handle strikes, so you'll see some function built around that.
Although it's unlikely he'll have time to give feedback, I've been thinking on sending the aluminum model to Marcaida.
DEK1? What is this DEK1 of which you speak?

If Marcaida doesn’t respond directly try getting him through Funker Tactical. They might make a good video out of it.

He does have a line of knives he’s affiliated with already. In case you didn’t know FYI.

3A6902DF-BBBE-4621-8E13-3D5B7E48F397.jpeg

that's very sleek!
Marcaida's also working with Zieba and Jason Knight, got this crazy khuk folder going

All I can think is, it’s getting hard to make something that functions well that doesn’t look like something else.

that's very sleek!
Marcaida's also working with Zieba and Jason Knight, got this crazy khuk folder going

OT:

These "exotic" names and terms always throw me into a tizzy! To me, Khuk pronounces like Khook or Kook or Khak, whatever that they are! I recall I once had a customer named Koch (not those two!) which pronounced his name Cook which is of course the English translation of Koch from German. This mofracky had me so confused with his German last name while insisting that the correct pronunciation was "cook" that in more than a handful of occasions I had accidentally addressed him as Mr. Cock!!! :D

Now, WTF is Khuk?!

sorry man :) 'khukuri'

Nathan, any chance of seeing a swedge on the BC Pre-order? Video taken from Benson X

I did that one because it was cool, I was wanting to try one and he also wanted it so it was a fun one-off done on the Friday afternoon of the sale. Beer was involved.

I wasn't planning to offer it as a regular option. I don't think there is really much engineering justification for it on that knife other than it kinda looks cool.

^ I don't have a problem with that, but the cost-benefit analysis isn't very good...

I did that one because it was cool, I was wanting to try one and he also wanted it so it was a fun one-off done on the Friday afternoon of the sale. Beer was involved.

I wasn't planning to offer it as a regular option. I don't think there is really much engineering justification for it on that knife other than it kinda looks cool.

^ I don't have a problem with that, but the cost-benefit analysis isn't very good...

But Nate, doesn’t it improve penetration for piercing zombie skulls?

Back