The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, this question was originally posed by "Donscpoo" in the Competition Pre-order thread, but i am also curious-Thanks

Nate, how easy is it to turn the thick edge CC to racing edge myself next time? Is this just a matter of the resharpening the edge at a smaller angle or do I need to regrind the bevel?

I'd be interested in getting a longer tool rest table for my KMG grinder. Maybe about double the length (side to side). the width (front to back) is fine.

Nathan, this question was originally posed by "Donscpoo" in the Competition Pre-order thread, but i am also curious-Thanks

Nate, how easy is it to turn the thick edge CC to racing edge myself next time? Is this just a matter of the resharpening the edge at a smaller angle or do I need to regrind the bevel?

It will require regrinding the bevels.

I'm doing this grind with special tooling that creates a shallow s grind, this might be difficult for some to duplicate if that's important to you.

I'd be interested in getting a longer tool rest table for my KMG grinder. Maybe about double the length (side to side). the width (front to back) is fine.

We'd considered doing a run of KMG work table and work rests but we don't use them here and most of the special runs for KMG grinders that we do is for parts that we need here for processes in our shop. A project like you're talking about could be done but it's not currently on the Whiteboard and I don't have an opening in the foreseeable future.

It will require regrinding the bevels.

I'm doing this grind with special tooling that creates a shallow s grind, this might be difficult for some to duplicate if that's important to you.

With the shallow s grind on the competition chopper, is it possible to maintain its level of sharpness with conventional sharpening? Or would it require similar tooling to what you use to keep the blade "race ready"? Thanks in advance.

I don't think the shallow s grind will affect the sharpening but the fact that it is V4E at HRC63 does. Some people won't have any problems with that but others might.

Race-ready is very sharp.

I know this is going to sound dumber than a box of rocks, but hear me out...

I’m assuming you can’t make this yourself because your tooling is limited. If ALL you’re looking to do is extend the length of your table, buy a piece of appropriately sized cold rolled steel, clean the bejeezuz out of the top of the existing work rest and the bottom of the piece of cold rolled, and stick them together with carpet tape.

Yes, carpet tape.

Is this permanent?

No.

Will it hold if you decide to stack 400 pounds of bricks on the work rest?

Highly unlikely.

Is it strong enough to use for sliding knives back and forth on?

Yeah, probably. And it don’t cost nothin’.

The right way is to drill and tap, and bolt the assembly together, but if that’s out of your realm right now, try carpet tape.

Well, it’s not the right way to do it, that’s for sure, and I’d much prefer knowing that it was SOLID, but sometimes new guys have to do it goofy-footed before they figure out how to do it right.

If it were me, I’d want it bolted or welded. But...

Deleted as i got a PM and this thread mixed up! Sorry, and yes i am a dumb a....

Last edited:
Also am 98% sure, from last "reports", that the antique edgecut micarta won't be available on the sale MC protos. But one can always resort to prayer.

Nathan,

Have you ever considered making a knife in Carpenter Maxamet steel? Or would it not meet your expectations for a hard use tool?

In my experience its qualities warrant the potential use for a smaller blade like the EDC and I'd like to know your thoughts.

What would it take to bring the HDFK closer to shiv levels of durability?
Would dropping a point or two off of the HRC significantly increase this?
Would the thickness behind the edge need to be increased?
Or would it take a combination of the two to accomplish this?

Is there a profile/hole layout difference between the Light Chopper and the Prototype Behemoth Chopper handle scales?

I am happy with the fitting of the MC scales to my BC (with a little work) and I am pondering if I should pick up another pair for a future LC.

Thanks,
~Chip

What would it take to bring the HDFK closer to shiv levels of durability?

change the geometry to that like the Shiv

Would dropping a point or two off of the HRC significantly increase this?

No

Or would it take a combination of the two to accomplish this?

The steeper primary grind angle, thicker behind the edge, drop the shoulder to shift the thickest width of the shoulder in line with the point.

The HDFK is very durable but the Shiv is primarily an indestructible stabbing weapon while the HDFK is built to cut well.

That HDFK is incredibly tough, don't feel the need to baby it. I'm not saying it can't be broken, but it would take tools/leverage, you'd have to deliberately try. It won't fail by accident.

Nathan, I noticed you posted this in the upcoming HDFK preorder thread:

"As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for your knife."

I'm trying to make plans, so I'm wondering if this is accurate or if it's there due to a cut and paste from other preorders. Thanks.

Back