The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Hi Nathan. On your N.A.S.K. pre order is the terotuff for this offering going to be light grey, dark grey or black? Also is there any way you could post up a pic of what the black linen is gona look like? Thanks man

-Tony

The TT is the color in the pictures, the black linen looks a lot like the maroon Linen in the picture except it's black.

Likely a stupid question, but I've spent almost an hour looking, and can't find a definitive answer.

What did NASK officially stand for?

Is there a back story to “Not A Survival Knife”?

Short story:

Originally as a prototype the model in question was going to be a survival type knife, briefly. That didn’t last long as the design evolved.

There was some discussion and a contest on what the model should be named. I guess we (Nathan IIRC) determined what it wasn’t before a winner was chosen who came closest to the final name.

For a minute the HDFK was known as the Fluffer, but Lorien Lorien strongly opposed this option so naturally it was used regardless, often in friendly taunting before NASK, then HDFK was widely adopted.

Thanks guys! I saw that as one of the options (which seemed most likely), but there were so many other meanings being thrown around, I wasn't sure which one was "official". I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Originally as a prototype the model in question was going to be a survival type knife, briefly. That didn’t last long as the design evolved.

quick clarification and expansion; the HDFK design was always intended to inhabit the 'survival knife' category
NASK was ironic, referencing the brand with the word 'survive' in it. The joke was 'not a survive knife', from my recollection, as we didn't want to confuse anyone. Mission Accomplished!

quick clarification and expansion; the HDFK design was always intended to inhabit the 'survival knife' category
NASK was ironic, referencing the brand with the word 'survive' in it. The joke was 'not a survive knife', from my recollection, as we didn't want to confuse anyone. Mission Accomplished!

Justin was being diplomatic. Who knew he had it in him? ;)

LOL! :D No wonder I was cornfused... :confused: ;)

Nathan, what are your thoughts on serrations? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blade of yours with them.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist @Jo the Machinist, do yall have an idea of what you're bringing to Blade this year? I need to sell some knives so I can have some Bladeshow 2018 funds!

Prolly some EDCs, some HDFK, some MC and perhaps a few zombie versions. I'm also hoping to put together a Competition Cutter, a UF and a Potato knife or two.

I'd hoped to have an integral dagger ready but we're getting another Mori next week and I fear the disruption is going to kill our schedule.

Nathan, what are your thoughts on serrations? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blade of yours with them.

I use/abuse my own knives pretty hard and sharpen regularly (daily sometimes) so I personally don't love serrations because you can't sharpen them very well on an oil stone. I also have pretty sharp knives and can cut most things pretty well without serrations. I recognize their utility and I'm capable of making them, but I personally don't like them very much so I don't make them.

Back