The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, thank you for the release update. It gives us some time to finagle finances and prep spouses. ;) Are you able to provide some info/pictures regarding the Field Knife 2? We have a lot of info on the other utility-type knife (DEK), but with the Field Knife 2 being up first, inquiring minds want to know.

Nathan, thank you for the release update. It gives us some time to finagle finances and prep spouses. ;) Are you able to provide some info/pictures regarding the Field Knife 2? We have a lot of info on the other utility-type knife (DEK), but with the Field Knife 2 being up first, inquiring minds want to know.

The intent is to conform pretty close to the original but with a slightly higher grind and to lose the tang scraper and revisit the grip. We may offer a "standard" and a "thin" version with the thin version being thinner stock and thinner grinds.

The intent is to conform pretty close to the original but with a slightly higher grind and to lose the tang scraper and revisit the grip. We may offer a "standard" and a "thin" version with the thin version being thinner stock and thinner grinds.

Any chance you'll sneak some D2 in there? Maybe a few of the "thin" models?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Man, I've had spouses but not contemporaneously! That said, the cause (spouses) will lead to the effect (finagling finances). This is a good case study for causality :p

The UF was a collaboration with a Green Beret who pointed out that many soldiers are going to carry a stainless steel knife. Troops are judged on the condition of their gear and a rusty knife is a no-no. These guys are all gearheads but they're not all knife nuts. Although he chose 3V for himself we knew it was important to offer a stainless version and I settled on Elmax as having the right attributes for a stainless utility fighter.

Elmax is a great and often under appreciated stainless steel, but ultimately I think many of the properties we're looking for (toughness, edge retention) could be found in something with lower abrasion resistance that would be easier to maintain for the average grunt carrying a 3" sharpening stone. It may not be a popular choice with this crowd because there is nothing "PM super" about it, but I'm leaning towards AEBL due to its relatively high toughness for a stainless, best in class edge stability and good edge retention in rough use.

edit to add:

We think of PM super steels as being tough and fine grained, but that's only when compared to other high carbide steels. You need the PM process for a tough high carbide steel. However not every application is a high-carbide application and a super clean and fine grain conventional melt steel is sometimes the right choice.

The UF was a collaboration with a Green Beret who pointed out that many soldiers are going to carry a stainless steel knife. Troops are judged on the condition of their gear and a rusty knife is a no-no. These guys are all gearheads but they're not all knife nuts. Although he chose 3V for himself we knew it was important to offer a stainless version and I settled on Elmax as having the right attributes for a stainless utility fighter.

Elmax is a great and often under appreciated stainless steel, but ultimately I think many of the properties we're looking for (toughness, edge retention) could be found in something with lower abrasion resistance that would be easier to maintain for the average grunt carrying a 3" sharpening stone. It may not be a popular choice with this crowd because there is nothing "PM super" about it, but I'm leaning towards AEBL due to its relatively high toughness for a stainless, best in class edge stability and good edge retention in rough use.

edit to add:

We think of PM super steels as being tough and fine grained, but that's only when compared to other high carbide steels. You need the PM process for a tough high carbide steel. However not every application is a high-carbide application and a super clean and fine grain conventional melt steel is sometimes the right choice.
So just to confirm, your going to offer the UF in 3V and AEBL? Single and Double Edge?-Thanks

I for one would certainly love to see an AEBL UF. I am a huge fan of D3V, but I really like stainless. And for a UF I feel like the use that I would put it to does not necessitate a super strong steel like D3V. A good solid stainless is great for me.

I agree^
I like adequately toughh stainless steels with good edge retention.
I'd love to see something like CPM 154 offered.

Good morning Nathan/CPK crew,

I have a set of the HDFK scales in the slim cut, and am wondering the actual difference in height they are to the standard. I don’t have a micrometer but they feel about a pinstripe liner smaller than the standard.

Basically I am wondering if I can add one of those thin liners to the scales and not have them too thick for the hardware/sheath. I have settled on the standard scale size as most comfortable, but want to utilize the slims somehow if that makes sense (ie. a nice red pinstripe liner on the OD green slim scales I think would like nice).

Cheers
Andy

Back