The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Agreed!
I am so glad I got in on the preorder. It would be haunting me now if I hadn’t. Of course, mine won’t be on it’s way until the very end of the run because I waited so long to get in.
I may have to take a shot at today’s sale!
Since I have a pre-order, I think that that one will be my only one I need, not that I don't want two but I don't stand a chance with all you ninjas.

Do you think ebonite would abrade from kydex?

In my (admittedly limited) experience I wouldn't expect it to abrade much worse than micarta. In the hand it felt most like a hardwood, which makes sense because it was developed to substitute for ebony. I'm sure that Nathan will chime in, but my experience with the Ebonite handles basically just convinced me that it is what I want all my chopper handles to be in the future.

What is the difference between the prototype and production BCs? Is the change in the grip very noticeable?

It was a gift from Lorien and Justin. I felt bad using it because a "user" folder around here is a death sentence but I lost my EDC in the dentists office couch and needed a knife. It fits the bill nicely.

It's a nice knife. I wish CR had a better HT. It's ironic because it's kinda their steel.

The design is a classic and the tolerances and build construction are quite good. I like how he worked around quadrant marks in the work with his design. Smart workaround for what I have to assume was a less than perfect CNC when he got started. I think he used an old Hardinge which is a close cousin to the old British made BP720 "pig" we used to use, so I can relate.

Last edited:
I love my CRKs too. That's been subject for a while now, their s35vn run a little soft. Not that there is anything wrong with their steel, but I wish they would come out with different steels already! Mine are also gifts from my wife and kids, so they aren't going anywhere.

Are we anywhere near the next pre-order?

I don't know. We're underway shipping the Behemoths and it will be time to start the next large knife (Medium Chopper) production soon. But I'm not sure if I want to open another pre-order until we've closed some of the current pre-orders.

It's tricky. Either keep the runs small and use minimal pre-orders or go big. Using pre-orders and going with larger runs is more efficient but it's also more complicated (Jo has to keep up with all these orders rather than just sell on Fridays) and will eventually eat into our goodwill here if folks have to wait a year to get their knife. I'm honestly not sure what direction to take.

I don't know. We're underway shipping the Behemoths and it will be time to start the next large knife (Medium Chopper) production soon. But I'm not sure if I want to open another pre-order until we've closed some of the current pre-orders.

It's tricky. Either keep the runs small and use minimal pre-orders or go big. Using pre-orders and going with larger runs is more efficient but it's also more complicated (Jo has to keep up with all these orders rather than just sell on Fridays) and will eventually eat into our goodwill here if folks have to wait a year to get their knife. I'm honestly not sure what direction to take.

I really like the preorder process because it lets me participate in owning your knives; I've been unable to get in fast enough on any of the Friday sales. I have yet to see you overpromise or underdeliver. You and Jo do a great job communicating and being transparent.

I personally think you've got it right, ie, given enough time and thought, you will settle on which direction you take.

I vote for more pre-orders. I'm always on the road for work on Fridays, so despite trying a few times, I've never gotten close on the Fri sales with whatever spotty connection I might get pulling over somewhere.

Just received the BC from the preorder, and it's awesome! Can't wait to try it out against the LC (secondary market) and MC (Jonny Bravo being nice enough to snag me one when he was at Blade).

Anxiously awaiting the UF, FK2 and DEK. One of those might replace the FK1 for ideal all-purpose knife.

Less preorders will mean more inflation in the secondary market CPK pricing. The preorders have kept the speculators in check with both HDFK and then the EDCs. I am not implying in any shape or form that majority of those units being sold on the 2ndary are remotely based on speculation and the dreaded flipping, but there are always the handful or so who shall remain anonymous but not to hard to recognize either.

Despite the extra administrative work involved with preorders in addition to unexpected production line snafus that may / will happen, there's this aspect of the preorder process which also ought to come to play in the whether or not decision making process and the angst over running the goodwill thin.

Less preorders will mean more inflation in the secondary market CPK pricing. The preorders have kept the speculators in check with both HDFK and then the EDCs. I am not implying in any shape or form that majority of those units being sold on the 2ndary are remotely based on speculation and the dreaded flipping, but there are always the handful or so who shall remain anonymous but not to hard to recognize either.

Despite the extra administrative work involved with preorders in addition to unexpected production line snafus that may / will happen, there's this aspect of the preorder process which also ought to come to play in the whether or not decision making process and the angst over running the goodwill thin.
Great point. I did, in fact, notice that after the HDFK and EDC2 preorders, any of those popping up for sale were a lot closer to the actual price, instead of being $100 - $200+ over the original price.

The HDFK sale was also pretty telling, as in the past, I've wondered about folks with fast connections simply bombing the sales for knives they already have, because they either a) fully intend to flip them for profit at inflated prices, or b) don't need/want another, but hit the sales anyway 'for fun', knowing they can flip them easily, if they win.

IIRC, the last HDFK sale didn't close out in under 5 seconds because there's no motivation for the above reasons with/after the preorders.

Back