The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

With all the gorgeous Shiros out there in the world and my other current six and one former Tabargan being of more premium grade materials, there's just something about this newest-to-me, old school 100NS that really floats my boat.

9Hfl6Hr.jpg

nJcpwtz.jpg

Very nearly pulled the trigger on one of those myself, ChazzyP ChazzyP . One on the exchange recently, with CF scales and S90V I believe, really caught my attention for a bit.

I had snagged the blade on some staples and massively messed it up. Blade now perfect and sharper than from Shiro. Perfectly sharpened and re-profiled.
awesome, i just tried shaving the metal housing around a phone charger last week, thought it was plastic like most. Turned out to be aluminum......A few passes on the sharpmaker and a strop and like nothing happened

Just got this back from our friend Josh at @razor-edge-knives. Perfect customer service, perfect communication, and Shiro better than new! Thanks Josh! And thanks ChazzyP ChazzyP for the recommendation!

Glad that Josh took care of that for you--he's a great resource for all of us knife knuts here. Did he lighten up that detent for you or is it easing up on its own? If the Zero is similar in construction to my UL with the negative over-travel stop integral with a press-fit lock-bar insert, I can see where tweaking the detent by bending the lock-bar could be more than a little tricky.

Glad that Josh took care of that for you--he's a great resource for all of us knife knuts here. Did he lighten up that detent for you or is it easing up on its own? If the Zero is similar in construction to my UL with the negative over-travel stop integral with a press-fit lock-bar insert, I can see where tweaking the detent by bending the lock-bar could be more than a little tricky.
Josh was awesome! Thanks for the advice! Didn’t do anything with the detent. He took the knife apart but it was going to be an ordeal to lighten it up. I have basically adapted to the knife. The main problem is that it’s a pretty small knife (which I like!) and if you exert any pressure whatsoever on the lock bar it is hyper sensitive. But I think I’ve slowly adapted to the best way to hold it to get great deployment. It really fires out and I love the knife. Just require a bit of a learning curve. Hope you’re doing great!

I had the Neon Zero for a whole Day....purchased from Recon1. I absolutely Loved the knife and it came screaming sharp.....But I had to keep making this weird claw grip to flip it :confused:
Even the slightest pressure would stop that blade from flipping.

Now, if you’re a lefty the Neon Zero is a dream, lol.

So back it went to Recon1 for a Shiro F3R in White CF :thumbsup:.
I had the blue and orange but sold them off to fund other purchases, so needed to add an F3R back to the collection ;)

Was thinking of getting the Slim 95 but went F3R....I love the way an F3R feels in the hand and engaging that Flipper is a dream with that full scale on the lock side.

Just waiting on Monday afternoon for the White CF F3R to show up.

I don't have a Zero nor have I held one, "Havoc" "Havoc" , but I do have a NeOn UL. DCFree DCFree has mentioned his learning curve for flipping his new Zero as well as its extra-stiff detent. Was yours similar in retention? If I have pressure on the lockbar on my UL, it can be nigh-unto impossible to flip open, but that seems a most unnatural grip to flip open such a small knife. My grip for opening my NeOn is much the same as any other flipper--kinda like a fist except with the tips of thumb and forefinger almost touching and the knife in-between my thumb and middle finger. With a small knife like the NeOn, my middle fingertip touches the clip end and is out of the way for interfering with opening. On a larger knife, that fingertip is a little farther forward, but still somewhere near the base of the lockbar where it won't impede the action.

My UL flips easily without any particular manual gymnastics. Perhaps a stiff detent on the Zero makes things more difficult and smaller knives can be more problematic to open due to less real estate for finger placement on the lockside.

duyCfnB.jpg

ChazzyP ChazzyP

The NeOn Zero is a superb Flipper and flies out with authority. But, when I handled mine, even if my middle finger was grazing the lockbar just above the clip it wouldn’t flip!

I had to make sure my middle finger was on top of clip or above, never below. Even then my index finger would slip up sometimes and slightly graze the lock bar too....that had the same affect and stopped the blade from moving.

Not my whole finger either, all it had to do was barely be touching and that was it.

This was my first NeOn and I figured it out in 2 minutes how to properly open it, but having to constantly make this weird curved claw grip every time to open it took the joy out of owning it.

If they ever make a Liner Lock NeOn...I’m all over that, lol.

Reactions: CPP
ChazzyP ChazzyP

The NeOn Zero is a superb Flipper and flies out with authority. But, when I handled mine, even if my middle finger was grazing the lockbar just above the clip it wouldn’t flip!

I had to make sure my middle finger was on top of clip or above, never below. Even then my index finger would slip up sometimes and slightly graze the lock bar too....that had the same affect and stopped the blade from moving.

Not my whole finger either, all it had to do was barely be touching and that was it.

This was my first NeOn and I figured it out in 2 minutes how to properly open it, but having to constantly make this weird curved claw grip every time to open it took the joy out of owning it.

If they ever make a Liner Lock NeOn...I’m all over that, lol.

I wonder how Sergei Shirogorov would respond if we started a petition for a liner lock NeOn (to be named 3On©, of course)

+1 for the F3R. Loving mine, all of 2 weeks in. It's just different enough from my 95T thad I dont feel too conflicted about having a duplicate.

I wonder how Sergei Shirogorov would respond if we started a petition for a liner lock NeOn (to be named 3On©, of course)

We could always try...would imagine we would need a hefty preorder.

But instead of a NeOn Liner lock I would want it to be more like an F3R. So a smaller 3.3” F3R Variant would be great!

Just my 2¢

I hadn't taken a Bear family photo since last January and before my latest addition. I figured I'd get a new one as I had most of my Shiros out yesterday and today checking out their flipping action and ergos after our discussion of NeOns and F3's above. I also didn't know what a group of bears was called (as in herd), so I looked it up. Oddly enough it's a sleuth or sloth, so here, sitting around in a circle, is my sleuth of Bears.

eORPOng.jpg

7UAwi0V.jpg

Back