The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

My Steven Spielberg aspirations
icon_rofl.gif
practiced with the 95NL.
As it's marketed as an outdoor folders some fire preparations is shown.
Feather sticks and scraping birch bark to catch a spark from my firesteel.

To be continued
smile.gif

#NLWorldtour

Quick question:
How is the hardened steel insert held in place on the HatiOn? I cant find a screw or any other thing to keep it in place. I didn‘t disassembled the knife yet.
It’s the little details like this I really like. The detent is a little strong but it‘s getting better the more I flip it. My wife gets a little annoyed by me flipping it on the couch the whole evening :D

been thinking about trading the f3 for a hation lite or neon of some sort but im hesitant to do it on the facebook groups. The f3 is great and its one of few large knives i dont mind in the pocket. Just makes me want to fill the 3"ish territory void in my rotation.

The 95NL is still making me smile every day.
Gave the Elmax a little bit of chemical torture cutting up load of lemoins and other fruits for tea and in my Weissen beers :)

w-pC1t8KPLRL8y0JJghrR0ftbxwZsUXRG5RVwQkhgb4ZbKUvUc1uTvroRK3P6Vig6WB02EkTVuVqDw6-bsiAi9goL5a8z0ZGBlpQxf5_Xkx0-aOZog-0NLfoT4FW5RwWDEYfIw1f5A=w2400

JCuHNCy9BhOI1qWtMTEoPQe-rRD2HZQmEGyphZXAMmtG_rVePjJpziLmkXw4zni-Nh9nBo3fTeYwQT6SEoZ3cdIpJZoUklbcjtFPK2ImDXB-pNbqYFkk4sOEQ8vyZ9JcT75Ga4lihQ=w2400

No sign of anything on the Elmax blade.
Gonna give it a good strop later today to bring the sharpness to it's best again.
#NLWorldtour

Last edited:
Catching up on posting here since my return from Vermont....

Sweet new knife, R Ruudr ! I believe NeOn lockbar inserts are press-fit in place and their retention is a testament to expert machining and assembly. As far as lubrication goes, everyone has their preferences. I don't care for grease in knife pivots and eventually all my knives get disassembled, cleaned out, interior polished, and reassembled using W10 NanoOil on bronze washers or ballbearings. Occasionally I'l use W85 Nano on the pivot bushing. The only exception to NanoOil for me is liquid TriFlow on nylon or teflon washers.

knoefz knoefz , great pictures and commentary on the NL World Tour knife. I knew there'd be excellent contributions forthcoming from you. :thumbsup:

I really like that F95R19, Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 . I've been sorely tempted by that pattern and might have succumbed if I didn't already have four 95mm-bladed Shiros that aren't going anywhere.

TRfromMT TRfromMT , I checked all my Shiros and none have even the slightest amount of closed-blade detent play. The F95NL World Tour knife developed a significant case of that somewhere between Alaska and Oregon and had to take a detour back to the Workshop as the ball had been driven deeper into its recess. Is it possible that your knife was dropped or took a hard shot at some point that could have depressed the ball further?

...and, because it's F95R Friday...

pPLLTTh.jpg

ChazzyP ChazzyP I guess anything is possible. The detent holds the blade secure, I only notice the rock if I apply pressure on the flipper tab and on the spine of the blade at the same time and purposely rock it. And it is extremely minor. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I mean, if it was a Spyderco, and I live literally 5 miles from the factory, I still wouldn't be bothered enough to have them look at it.

It's just one of those things that once you notice it you think about it and wonder if any others have it.

By the way, ^^^^Those LINES! Mmmmm.

ChazzyP ChazzyP thanks for the info. The lockbar insert looks really nice without a screw. Never heard a lockbar insert is press fit. Awesome stuff.

I took mine apart today and cleaned it. Very easy to do. You can tell there went a lot of thought into this knife.
The ballbearings were a little more difficult but a toothpick with some grease on it did the job. I put some 10w nano oil on the bearings and it flips really well. Very smooth too.
Some pictures!
qWcVNyV.jpg

rDMk3AD.jpg

YfzpQuc.jpg

bgej3wy.jpg

Ruudr... Beautiful pictures! The attention to detail is what sets Shirogorov apart and above 99% of other knife brands... (and we gladly pay for it!)

been thinking about trading the f3 for a hation lite or neon of some sort but im hesitant to do it on the facebook groups. The f3 is great and its one of few large knives i dont mind in the pocket. Just makes me want to fill the 3"ish territory void in my rotation.
If you’re thinking of getting those smaller knives, get one in hand first. I had a great HatiOn, but it was a little too small to be comfortable in my hand. You know how nice the F3 handle is. The HatiOn and NeOn handles are much thinner and with a more constricted grip length. Some people love them, and the new NeOn Zero may be slightly bigger, but I wouldn’t advise parting with the F3 for a smaller Shiro unless you really like it in hand.

I’m with JimMD on this one. The differences of size and how they feel in the hand are considerable. Without getting picky about differences in dimensions or weight, it’s a lot like the differences between small and large CRK Sebenzas. I’d also advise handling a NeOn or HatiOn before you dump the F3 to get one of them. You’re dealing with the differences between "full size” and “small” knives here. I find them to be two very different critters. My small knives (NeOn Ultra-Lite, small Sebenza and ZT 0450) have their place--which is when I need a very discreet concealed EDC--but I rely on full sized knives for the great majority of my EDC needs.

If I was in your position, I’d put my “gotta make that move NOW” impulse on hold, bite the bullet, save up my money and buy a Shiro NeOn Zero when I could afford it. They’re now starting to come through the BF Exchange for ~$65 under retail, so time is on your side. I think if you let that F3 go, you may well end up regretting having done so. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Count me in with J JimMD and Stumpy72 Stumpy72 and their thoughts on the F3 vs the NeOn variants. I've had my NeOn UL for quite some time now, and while it's not going anywhere, it's not a go-to knife either. Like Stumpy said, it's great when I want a smaller knife for more discreet carry, but not something that fits my EDC profile. I don't find my various 95-bladed Shiros in any way too big for usual carry as they fit my hand just so well. A large Griptilian is about as small as I go for a usual EDC and I prefer one of my three with Wilkins grips for those.

As time goes on there will be more and more HatiOns and Zeros out there and they and the Lites and ULs they're replacing will continue to drop in price on the secondary market. The NeOn series are the least expensive anyway, so if it was me I'd save up if I had to or sell something else besides my F3 to buy one. The F3 is just so damn fine in hand and you could always sell it later if you decide that you really prefer the NeOn and don't want to keep both. I've only sold one of the 8 Shiros I've bought and kinda wish I hadn't. :(

Back