The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ChazzyP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    At the bottom of the deep end is the rabbit hole of knife induced self-destruction. Most of us here are circling that drain but there seems to be plenty of room for others down there as well, so I'll share a couple older pics of my 111CF with fuller just to further coax you into those depths. It is a helluva knife....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...which also would complete the Holy Trinity of Shirogorov sizes for you. Still plenty of other models to sample, though. ;)

2. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]
    The 111 is the best of the best. My most carried knife.

3. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    A Doctor Death makes a great addition too. LOL.
    [​IMG]

4. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    Nice shots of what looks like a great knife! Being a fan of thick handles, I'm a little disappointed to hear the scales are slim. Do you know what the handle width is?

Edgeoflife likes this.
  5. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Well, since the 111’s are being shown off, here ya go :D

AE8A4A39-0FD4-47BA-BEB6-5F028935C443.jpeg

6. TALON52

TALON52

Jan 14, 2016
  7. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Tabargan 100NS today. This one's just super in hand and a great user.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mikomonday

mikomonday Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2015
    @JimMD The F3R is just a tad under 16mm while the F3NS is 15mm so less than a millimeter thinner :)

JimMD and UmnumMAN like this.
  9. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    Thanks!

10. arourasphere

arourasphere Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2013
    Well, my first Shiro (NeOn Zero) should be arriving in the mail today and I had a question about tools. A quick search of this thread didn’t result in anything, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the JekylltoHyde aluminum pivot/body tool. It’s less than half the cost of two REK bits, but being aluminum instead of Ti makes me want to ask about it before taking a chance. Any input would be appreciated and I will make sure to post pictures once the mail gets delivered.

Edgeoflife and TALON52 like this.
  11. SlideRacker

SlideRacker

Feb 23, 2020
    In the event the screws get marred with the aluminum bit, an extra set of pivot screws for the Neon would only cost $20 so maybe it's worth a shot. For me tho, given the cost of the Shiro I would only go with the best tools.

12. arourasphere

May 1, 2013
    Well, disregard. The aforementioned Shiro is on its way back to the seller. The seller had swapped the pivot and body screws around so they were flush on the show side and I asked him to return them to the original configuration before shipping the knife out. When I opened it today, there was a gap between the backspacer and scale that had movement even though the body screw seemed tight. I know they are free spinning barrels and more than likely it could be tightened down with some care and effort, but that worried me on such an expensive purchase.

13. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    ive got a Jekyl to Hyde pivot tool. I haven’t had any issues with it. Bhyde (Bill) uses good quality material, so there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  14. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    smokey.jpg
    Random carry shot.

15. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    Will the seller make the knife right and return it to you or have you opted out of the deal? I've watched that seller's posts for some years, he sells numerous high end knives, especially Shiro's, and seems trustworthy and knowledgeable.

16. arourasphere

May 1, 2013
    He offered to make it right by fixing it and returning it to me, to send me the REK bits to use and return or refund the money. I initially was going to have him send me the bits, but I ultimately decided to send back the knife and get a refund. He is a stand up seller for sure and I’m sure he will have no trouble selling it again once he has it in hand and fixes it. But the issue made me a bit nervous about that particular example. I’ll end up with another one at some point I’m sure. It’s the logical progression of my collection unless a ZT 0777-M390 becomes available in a similar price range.

17. ChazzyP

Dec 27, 2014
    It's good that you did what made you comfortable, @arourasphere . I've been in business for 50 years and have learned to listen to that little voice in my head that tells me what to do when I'm conflicted or in doubt. There'll be plenty more Zero's to purchase and likely at better prices too.

BTW, I just purchased a JekylltoHyde F95-compatible bit and will let y'all know about the fit and quality. I suspect to it will fine as @bhyde 's a solid guy and his stuff is very well regarded. There certainly shouldn't be any issue with damage to the Shiro components as aluminum is indeed softer than the screws. The only thing I wonder about is how the tool will hold up if extreme pressure is applied as in the case of overly-thread-locked screws, though I rarely use LocTite as I prefer the occasional adjustment to breaking screws free when servicing my knives, particularly with free-spinning pivots. I have a couple Shiros that will drift after repeated cycles and find if I just return them to thumbnail tightness that the blades come back to center and the action is perfect.

On the other hand, I've never had an issue using the appropriately sized Wiha driver covered with electrical tape when working on my Shiros.

Edgeoflife likes this.
  18. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    Added a new fob to the brown 95.
    [​IMG]

19. UmnumMAN

UmnumMAN

Mar 21, 2020
    God....this thread is very dangerous to my wallet...

I'm not quite at Shiro level knife obsession just yet. For expensive +$300 knives, I own but a few CRKS, olamic, an overpriced benchmade and a full ti hinderer

Been eyeballing ****** website...thinking of grabbing a f95 or 111. Quantum looks very sweet, but they seem hard to find

Are there any other good online stores for them? Besides ******?

It's going to happen eventually. If I wasn't putting money aside for a new car, I'd probably have several by now

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  20. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    Not allowed to post websites that don't contribute. Try a search for rusblade.

UmnumMAN likes this.