The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

ChazzyP ChazzyP Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239
The 111 has caught my eye in every picture I have seen of it. It's gotta be the one with the fuller though :rolleyes: Now that I've gone to the deep end, might as well swim down and see where it goes :D

At the bottom of the deep end is the rabbit hole of knife induced self-destruction. Most of us here are circling that drain but there seems to be plenty of room for others down there as well, so I'll share a couple older pics of my 111CF with fuller just to further coax you into those depths. It is a helluva knife....

C5FqbM3.jpg

LvZ3LEB.jpg

...which also would complete the Holy Trinity of Shirogorov sizes for you. Still plenty of other models to sample, though. ;)

Ah, those are actually some great examples, I would even go so far as to say Strider as well (even though I'm not really a fan). Funny enough how those makers/companies made up the "Big 3", perhaps that should put some context into how serious Sergey is about knife making :)

Also say hello to the newest Custom Division F3NS:

You couldn't say it wasn't coming right? With the release of the production F3NS there was clearly a missing gap in the lineup. The F3 as we all know is a liner lock and this one is a all-ti'd out version similar to the Custom Division 111Ti. The handle is dual anodized bronze and blue and has gorgeous machining with an aesthetic that reminds me a bit of the Russian Hokkaido paired with some of the large diagonal knurling seen on the production F3NS. I'm a big fan of the logo placed in the rear pommel area that we've really only seen on the NeOns and I think it's quite a novel place to have the logo while leaving the rest of the handle available for creative freedom.

2e678778c1c90269027b314b38ad4625.jpg

Here we can see those screws, as with the Quantum and F3NS the pivot screw has been increased in size and consequently a thinner titanium collar around it. This larger pivot screwn also incorporates a tapering of the slot towards the open end. This will prevent the Shirogorov tool bits from slipping and potentially marring the knife. The rear screw has also been reduced in diameter as well (starting since the CD F95 Antique) this will prevent the screw from contacting the clip when disassembling. Common for Custom Division, the blind screwed clip has been given more detail compared to the production with more machining passes and finishing over the clip resulting in smoother surface especially on the curved portion.

61a981ccf20d36ca3820e4fbff13e242.jpg

Despite being an F3 liner lock knife, The scales are quite slim. Blade stock is the standard 4mm affair.

2ff08b93aaf77915574fd509aa40cd84.jpg

Here we have a nice design accent on the flipper tab, a feature we would see Sergey play around with on Customs that is becoming increasingly common on newer Custom Division knives.

cbb6a1d89a79a83aadb8961d500cc752.jpg

The backspacer as on the production F3NS has taken some design cues from the Custom F7, only with a standard width as opposed to the F7 which has an extra wide backspacer that covers the liners. This results in a spacious lanyard loop.

d62be5d66eeca85a64f12b418b579019.jpg

Extra generous milling as always, helpful with a full titanium knife :)

36822670c8b4c9621f11ac0c49e4c7c3.jpg

Ah yes, lastly one with a keen eye might have noticed this already but something funky is definitely going on with the blade. While the blade profile is exactly the same as the production variant with those usual CD satin flats we also have an extremely fine laser engraved pattern on the S90V blade.

2cb2997f21f31b8256c562bc07209d9d.jpg

1da653e31b52b973ebda9795cdf0eebc.jpg
Nice shots of what looks like a great knife! Being a fan of thick handles, I'm a little disappointed to hear the scales are slim. Do you know what the handle width is?

Well, my first Shiro (NeOn Zero) should be arriving in the mail today and I had a question about tools. A quick search of this thread didn’t result in anything, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the JekylltoHyde aluminum pivot/body tool. It’s less than half the cost of two REK bits, but being aluminum instead of Ti makes me want to ask about it before taking a chance. Any input would be appreciated and I will make sure to post pictures once the mail gets delivered.

Well, my first Shiro (NeOn Zero) should be arriving in the mail today and I had a question about tools. A quick search of this thread didn’t result in anything, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the JekylltoHyde aluminum pivot/body tool. It’s less than half the cost of two REK bits, but being aluminum instead of Ti makes me want to ask about it before taking a chance. Any input would be appreciated and I will make sure to post pictures once the mail gets delivered.
In the event the screws get marred with the aluminum bit, an extra set of pivot screws for the Neon would only cost $20 so maybe it's worth a shot. For me tho, given the cost of the Shiro I would only go with the best tools.

Well, disregard. The aforementioned Shiro is on its way back to the seller. The seller had swapped the pivot and body screws around so they were flush on the show side and I asked him to return them to the original configuration before shipping the knife out. When I opened it today, there was a gap between the backspacer and scale that had movement even though the body screw seemed tight. I know they are free spinning barrels and more than likely it could be tightened down with some care and effort, but that worried me on such an expensive purchase.

ive got a Jekyl to Hyde pivot tool. I haven’t had any issues with it. Bhyde (Bill) uses good quality material, so there’s nothing to be concerned about.

Well, disregard. The aforementioned Shiro is on its way back to the seller. The seller had swapped the pivot and body screws around so they were flush on the show side and I asked him to return them to the original configuration before shipping the knife out. When I opened it today, there was a gap between the backspacer and scale that had movement even though the body screw seemed tight. I know they are free spinning barrels and more than likely it could be tightened down with some care and effort, but that worried me on such an expensive purchase.
Will the seller make the knife right and return it to you or have you opted out of the deal? I've watched that seller's posts for some years, he sells numerous high end knives, especially Shiro's, and seems trustworthy and knowledgeable.

He offered to make it right by fixing it and returning it to me, to send me the REK bits to use and return or refund the money. I initially was going to have him send me the bits, but I ultimately decided to send back the knife and get a refund. He is a stand up seller for sure and I’m sure he will have no trouble selling it again once he has it in hand and fixes it. But the issue made me a bit nervous about that particular example. I’ll end up with another one at some point I’m sure. It’s the logical progression of my collection unless a ZT 0777-M390 becomes available in a similar price range.

It's good that you did what made you comfortable, A arourasphere . I've been in business for 50 years and have learned to listen to that little voice in my head that tells me what to do when I'm conflicted or in doubt. There'll be plenty more Zero's to purchase and likely at better prices too.

BTW, I just purchased a JekylltoHyde F95-compatible bit and will let y'all know about the fit and quality. I suspect to it will fine as @bhyde 's a solid guy and his stuff is very well regarded. There certainly shouldn't be any issue with damage to the Shiro components as aluminum is indeed softer than the screws. The only thing I wonder about is how the tool will hold up if extreme pressure is applied as in the case of overly-thread-locked screws, though I rarely use LocTite as I prefer the occasional adjustment to breaking screws free when servicing my knives, particularly with free-spinning pivots. I have a couple Shiros that will drift after repeated cycles and find if I just return them to thumbnail tightness that the blades come back to center and the action is perfect.

On the other hand, I've never had an issue using the appropriately sized Wiha driver covered with electrical tape when working on my Shiros.

God....this thread is very dangerous to my wallet...

I'm not quite at Shiro level knife obsession just yet. For expensive +$300 knives, I own but a few CRKS, olamic, an overpriced benchmade and a full ti hinderer

Been eyeballing ****** website...thinking of grabbing a f95 or 111. Quantum looks very sweet, but they seem hard to find

Are there any other good online stores for them? Besides ******?

It's going to happen eventually. If I wasn't putting money aside for a new car, I'd probably have several by now

Last edited:
Back