The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

R-1 just sent out an email announcing their lottery for the new Shiro ”Maoynized” F95. It has an M390 blade and handle with hole pattern designed by Tom Mayo.
It’s also up on their website.

R-1 just sent out an email announcing their lottery for the new Shiro ”Maoynized” F95. It has an M390 blade and handle with hole pattern designed by Tom Mayo.
It’s also up on their website.

I had to look up the "Mayonized" handle design at Recon1's website. The hole pattern is three holes in a row, all the same size. Tom must have burned out some creative brain cells designing that.:rolleyes: But if you have a name, why not monetize it?

ZkeGlRa.jpg

Q9eYinR.jpg

Nice! Any idea what year those came out? Curious :) def looks old school!
I love hearing the history behind a particular folder or knife company. If you find out any more post it here! Thanks!
I've been corresponding with Tom over at the Shiro pages on the other forum and he wrote that Tabargan 100NS (New Style) knives were manufactured between 2010 and 2013/14 and feature the signature PacMan screws. Those with flat scales and 440C were considered base models and were produced parallel to those with upgraded steels and contoured scales. The Tabargan I sold last year was one of the latter in M390 steel and original 3D G10 replaced with marbled CF and matching backspacer.

Tom mentioned his preference for the 2D ergos and I must agree--this newer-to-me knife really locks in and will be a great EDC. The combination of flat scales and extracts makes the lock buttons super accessible, unlike my former, prettier, higher-end 100NS which was more difficult to manipulate. While M390 is a favorite steel that I often seek out and have in many of my knives, I'm looking forward to putting a screaming sharp edge on this 440C blade and putting it through its paces. :)

amjkNeq.jpg

Really like the open back on this one too. All things considered--scales, steel, construction--sometimes less is more. ;)

SNgGoMM.jpg

Did anyone notice that the holes for the "Mayonized" F95 are spaced out differently? I wonder if this is a flaw or intentional...

What would mikomonday mikomonday do with one of your kidneys and half of your liver? That HatiOn though...

How about 2 HatiOns :)

VsCxyqqh.jpg

Notes on the new NeOn Zero:
- Larger blade yes, but not as much as Shirogorov makes it out to be. Only a few 3mm~ at most.
- Cool new backspacer that wraps around the blade and really accentuates the blade centering. No room for error here. This was taken off the CD NeOn Mk2
- New geared backspacer puts it in line with the F3/Hati
- Awesome new blade profile on the blade, the swedges and clip at the end gives it the same appearance as a full custom F7 blade just scaled down:

YCg8DzXh.jpg

On the technical side:
- They really took the feedback about lock travel when squeezing the lockbar hard to hard, some newer production runs of the NeOn Lite/Ultra Lite/HatiOn had this problem. The NeOn Zero (at least all of them in the first run that came to Recon1, yes we tried them) did not have this problem at all and the lockup is excellent without any excessive lockstick, another issue some people reported.
- Lockbar insert is still pressfit/epoxied. I don't know why they'd do this since it seems to make Shirogorov's life harder when repairing them. Notably now like the 95 the lockbar insert's integrated overtravel has a tail which extends upwards instead of using the face of the insert to limit overtravel.
- New rear screw which coincidentally is the same diameter as the CD lockbar insert screws. This will not accept make the current NeOn bit (bit blade width is correct but it is about 20% too long) The workshop will be making a new bit for the new NeOns. Additionally since the NeOn Lite/Ultra Lite bit has been used exclusively on these knives, that bit will no longer be used on any new knives. Also, this is the same bit (NeOn Zero rear, CD lockbar insert) that is used on some CDs such as the RFT

Had 3 Zeros come in.

One was notably off center.

One has barely any lockup and the detent is way too hard. The tab is actually leaving a dent in my finger.

One was OK but not great.

The only part of design I don’t like is the pointy flipper tab.

Quite honestly, the designs are getting better and better but the mechanics are, in my opinion not acceptable at this price point.

Had 3 Zeros come in.

One was notably off center.

One has barely any lockup and the detent is way too hard. The tab is actually leaving a dent in my finger.

One was OK but not great.

The only part of design I don’t like is the pointy flipper tab.

Quite honestly, the designs are getting better and better but the mechanics are, in my opinion not acceptable at this price point.

post some pics haha, I'm curious as to how one is off center as the blade being anywhere off center means itll rub on the backspacer cutout.

Not sure why you don't like the flipper tab as it is the same as all the neons, that is the only part of the blade that hasnt changed.

post some pics haha, I'm curious as to how one is off center as the blade being anywhere off center means itll rub on the backspacer cutout.

Not sure why you don't like the flipper tab as it is the same as all the neons, that is the only part of the blade that hasnt changed.

I’ll get you a pic of the blade position.

My 2018 CD NeOn was a hair off center, both of the 2 Dr. Death I had were as well. One went back to Russia for repair and was off center again within a couple months. Wasn’t it the Pero we both had arrive off center and you were able to correct yours with a reassembly? This isn’t an isolated case and all the knives I mentioned have the pocketed backspacer. Which knife did you measure how off center it was for me with your software trick? I can’t remember now.

Flipper tab has a concave leading edge that forms a bit of a point. Contrasting that with my F95s including the old Nudists which are all convex, and some of the newer collabs with much lower profile tabs like the RFT, Sigma etc and it seems like it’s something they could have updated here too. In general it’s not bad till you add a very heavy detent.

And the pressed in lockbar insert is annoying as well. If it was done with a fastener I could fix my Zero myself. But since I want to reduce my lockbar tension and I can’t remove the insert myself I can’t reduce it. So it needs to go back for that. Since that will require a new insert I’m not sure how the lock will come back to me.

Disappointing. I’ve had some absolute gems come through from Shiro and I wish they could hit that mark consistently.

I do really like the Zero design overall.

Sorry if this seems poorly written. I worked 18 hours yesterday, slept 2 and am back at work now and wrote this on the road.

Last edited:
I’ll get you a pic of the blade position.

My 2018 CD NeOn was a hair off center, both of the 2 Dr. Death I had were as well. One went back to Russia for repair and was off center again within a couple months. Wasn’t it the Pero we both had arrive off center and you were able to correct yours with a reassembly? This isn’t an isolated case and all the knives I mentioned have the pocketed backspacer. Which knife did you measure how off center it was for me with your software trick? I can’t remember now.

Flipper tab has a concave leading edge that forms a bit of a point. Contrasting that with my F95s including the old Nudists which are all convex, and some of the newer collabs with much lower profile tabs like the RFT, Sigma etc and it seems like it’s something they could have updated here too. In general it’s not bad till you add a very heavy detent.

And the pressed in lockbar insert is annoying as well. If it was done with a fastener I could fix my Zero myself. But since I want to reduce my lockbar tension and I can’t remove the insert myself I can’t reduce it. So it needs to go back for that. Since that will require a new insert I’m not sure how the lock will come back to me.

Disappointing. I’ve had some absolute gems come through from Shiro and I wish they could hit that mark consistently.

I do really like the Zero design overall.

Sorry if this seems poorly written. I worked 18 hours yesterday, slept 2 and am back at work now and wrote this on the road.
I though Grumpy Cat was dead! I would have given up on a brand after the second problematic knife–that's why I sold my only Benchmade and never bought another. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with any of the Shiros that I bought directly from the authorized dealer. I bought two on the secondary market and one of them, the CF RDD, was fine although I suspect the previous owner used the strong variety of Loktite. The Cannabis I bought was another story altogether (I believe we discussed the exact one on the other forum). I bought it on the understanding that it had minor lock-rock which it did when I received it. I realized the pivot was loose, tightened it and it then had perfect lockup. A little while later I took it apart to give it a cleaning and discovered that seven or so bearings were missing from one side and a handle screw was beginning to strip. I am receiving the replacements in the mail today but that was obviously the fault of the previous owner. Of course, there's a big difference between buying a faulty knife brand new and buying one second hand...

I concur with some of Justin's concerns. The flipper tab does definitely leave an impression on my forefinger but I will have to see as to what happens after I flip it like a thousand times! On the plus side, the locker is not as flimsy as the previous Lite model that travels by quite a bit with any kinda use but the pressure put on the NeOn.

Over all, this model, to me, is far more superior but I'm really a layman when it comes to the internals and the construction stuff. The improvements aesthetically make the NeOn Zero look like a real little knife. I found the Lite & UL models a bit mousy TBH but that's just me!

Back