The best fake by far

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to show these fakes in order to put potential buyers on notice. But it is also worth recognizing that there is a virtually foolproof method of avoiding fakes - by buying from only well-established sellers with thousands of good feedbacks and a >99.7% rating. Some of them have killer prices with very low margins and free shipping. You might lose out on a rare bargain Spydie, but you also never get burned.

You couldn't be more wrong.

First off, the difference is that the cheap production methods use cheaper materials, the steels and reinforcing pieces, so they will be inherently weaker. Do you really think a knife and a purse/wallet are equal in terms of load-bearing and risk to personal safety?

Second, you have absolutely no way to know that percentage of faked goods, you're just making something up to prove your already idiotic point, which is just another layer of stupidity. But yes, OF COURSE THE $50 LV wallets and bags on eBay are fake, you have to be completely daft to think someone is selling a legit good they 'got as a gift and don't need anymore' for $50 instead of $800.

A fake Spyderco may look as good, but it's all in the tolerances and quality of the materials. A bag you can just stitch it together and nobody knows.

That's not necessarily true. It's a feature of economics - the same materials cost less in some countries, and labor is only a fraction of the cost it is here.

In China they have surplus production capacity. Even though they would produce a product much cheaper with just the difference in labor cost, and everything else being equal, they are willing to run production at an extremely slim profit margin because otherwise they have facilities and workers sitting idle.

They do not often use the same steels we do, but the parts won't exactly be weaker. They are more likely to skim on a small screw or washer, but it's getting to the point where they produce everything as identically as they practically can. Often times their facilities have more tools available, and workers have a wider berth of production knowledge.

If you have handled a fake SPyderco, you may have had one of the lower quality productions. Share a picture of the counterfit you have handled, and it may be the case that it's one of the earlier ones or not one of the more exacting replicas.

That's not necessarily true. It's a feature of economics - the same materials cost less in some countries, and labor is only a fraction of the cost it is here.

In China they have surplus production capacity. Even though they would produce a product much cheaper with just the difference in labor cost, and everything else being equal, they are willing to run production at an extremely slim profit margin because otherwise they have facilities and workers sitting idle.

They do not often use the same steels we do, but the parts won't exactly be weaker. They are more likely to skim on a small screw or washer, but it's getting to the point where they produce everything as identically as they practically can. Often times their facilities have more tools available, and workers have a wider berth of production knowledge.

If you have handled a fake SPyderco, you may have had one of the lower quality productions. Share a picture of the counterfit you have handled, and it may be the case that it's one of the earlier ones or not one of the more exacting replicas.

I agree with this. Counterfeiting in China is what we can get away with, then trying to make something perfect. On a another thread a person had a counterfeit PM2 and two things that people were all over was the non milled liners and the spring/lock liner was not shiny but dull. So maybe the next batch fixes those issues. If scammers can get a near perfect PM2 that will fool the pros, and then get a correct price on Ebay.....The Chinese will spend the extra time to perfect these so they can sell more.

Excuse me if I have little faith in eBay. After all they do continue to allow these fakes being sold,while I know I'll eventually get my money back it's a big hassle.

If you have the spare funds, buy these and report as fakes. You will get your money back, and if enough people do this, it will flag the seller.

Hmmm tempting. Maybe even preface your bid with a pm to the seller. "hi just letting you know if I win this knife and its a fake I will file a dispute, win, and leave a negative feedback"

I messaged the guy with the fake militaries. He had them listed as PM2s at first and I explained that they were fake and I could see why he would think it's a PM2 and not a Military, because the fake Militaries tend to come with PM2 literature.

He changed the auction to say Military, but didn't respond to me. He knows full well that he's selling fakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back