The Great 8

black mamba

Gold Member
For you hockey fans, no, I'm not talking about Alex Ovechkin. I'm talkin' about the Schrade family of senior stockmen, from the 8OT through all it's iterations. This is just one of the great, classic patterns, and every stockman lover should have at least one. Here is my current lineup.

Great8-3_zpsotojtzgd.jpg~original

From top left: 1982 scrimshaw delrin, late '70s Craftsman sawcut delrin and brass bolsters, 1975 #881Y, 1978 Parker-Frost green and red jigged bone, 1995 NYKC burnt stag. And below, the 1974 Jim Bowie Commemorative.

f32706bc-0e17-469e-87eb-012654c5636e_zpskbajrhp0.jpg~original

The Craftsman and the Jim Bowie have slightly reshaped blades, but the pattern is the same and they were made by Schrade USA.

Please post pics of all your different Schrade made, square bolstered large stockmen, from the #885UH all the way up to the #8813 Schrade Waldens.

That's a really cool collection. I particularly like the Craftsman with the brass bolsters, really classy looking.

Much appreciated! Black and gold were my school colors in both high school and college, so I like 'em too!

Thanks, Alan and Jake, the Craftsman is really special with it's peach seed jigging! Any idea when it was made?

Nice collection. Getting harder to find them in pristine condition.

Beautiful knives everybody! The 8ot frame stockman is my favorite knife, including the previous 8813 and 881 which are essentially the same. I am forever collecting any schrade with that frame and 3 blades, the variations are endless and you may as well have multiple duplicates.

Thanks everyone, but . . . . let's see some more pics!!

Alright then :D

Schrade Walden 8OT and backup ;)
wGME1gg.jpg

i8SdkJH.jpg

Schrade 89OT
EqtP4GM.jpg

Schrade 8OT Yeller
eSGbO73.jpg

Schrade 881Y and another backup :eek:
J1Cg4oi.jpg

LSdGYFA.jpg

Schrade 8OT Future Farmers of America ... packed with plenty of oil! :eek:
8SE5rYy.jpg

Buck 301 by Schrade
c7cJGHy.jpg

Schrade SC505
pUz5PVc.jpg

Sears Craftsman 95045
zDto7RM.jpg

That's all for now :D

Last edited:
Great showing, AL, that's what I'm talkin' about! Do you know the mfg. dates of those 3-line SWs with the match strike pulls? And I've never seen the blue Farmer's Pride before, love the packaging!

Thanks, Gev and ED, good stuff!

Jeff, from what I've read in the Schrade subforum, the two 3-line 8OT knives date from about 1963-1973. Each has 16 match strikes in the long pull. The earliest Delrin 8OT knives (@1961/1962 -- after Schrade transitioned from Bone to Delrin) had 17 match strikes. 1973 was the last year that Schrade used the Walden stamp.

The 3-line 881Y dates from about early 1960s (when Delrin began to be used as a handle material) to 1973 (last year of the Walden stamp). Mine is probably closer to 1973 than the early 60s.

Is the bottom knife in your photo a Herman Williams customized version? They're all very nice!

Back