The Great 8

That is a fantastic collection of 8's. I think I have figure out that a 4ish inch stockman is my favorite pattern. The stag is particularly excellent. I imagine that would be a bit difficult for me to find these days huh?

Thanks. That is actually just worn jigged bone, not stag.

Come to think of it, I don't Recall ever seeing a stag covered factory Schrade stockman?

Come to think of it, I don't Recall ever seeing a stag covered factory Schrade stockman?

Not Schrade branded, but Schrade USA made.
HBstockmanOpen_zpsdq6mubud.jpg~original

Ah yes, and there you go right there. Beautiful knife, Jeff.

Very seldom around these parts does a challenge go unanswered:thumbup:

ed5e0f72c05a9f607cabe8af483e45e5.jpg

0901d00932cfad6fa60a86138a6e053d.jpg

0c32ada650958469063049fbe2098446.jpg

253dcd413acdba53431f008f2320883e.jpg

04bf82fcc595c59bdda05c8fe70d4cba.jpg

I posted this in the Schrade collectors forum earlier, still trying to nail down the approximate production date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful example, peppercorn, I love the bone hafted Schrades. I would say late '70s, but I'm far from an expert.

I like your pre 1970 Buck 301and the black 8OT. Seeing them together, makes me think, they were made about the same time.
medium

medium

The top two knives and the one on the right in the box, are Schrade made John Primble 935.
medium

medium

This is my pre 1973 Schrade 8OT [Every Day User] with bone handles... KG

Last edited:
KG, that bone handled Old Timer is a great knife. Easy to see why you choose to pocket that one.

My one and only #8, a gift from a friend, its one he used to carry snd use, we found it when he was cleaning out a truck tool box, that had filled with water... He said if I thought I could do anything with it I could have it.
Was a big rusty mess, I gave it a basic cleaning, sharpening, and carry it now and then. Need to do another deeper cleaning again sometime..

2017-03-06-01-34-08-jpg.jpeg

It's rough but sharp and has good smooth snap, lots of life left.

Great idea for a thread, Jeff!
The "8s" are indeed wonderful!!
I'll post some when I get photobucket sorted out.

Last edited:
I finally picked up an Uncle Henry 885 in excellent condition for a decent price.

2136f4a0-d7be-4395-92f8-d80eaf75167c_zpszz1ei5ep.jpg~original

This one has something interesting about it, though. All three blades have a distinct buffed edge, from 1 to 3 millimeters up from the apex. I had to take several photos with different angles to get it to show clearly. Here are photos of both sides, showing the buffed edges. Also, on the last pic, pile side, the tip of the spey has vertical scratches that look like they started to make a file out of it! :eek: They're also barely visible on the mark side tip. Does anyone know anything about this buffing, or the approximate mfg. date of this UH885? Thanks in advance for any info.

25f9767a-76c8-4ebc-9780-3ade0fb1d09a_zpsuucpovg1.jpg~original

5debbf0e-425f-445c-bdd2-47e42791e70c_zpsltzdz1qi.jpg~original

I think this old thread had the right idea and needs another chance. :)

The original, standard version of this pattern was a schrade cut co knife, the 8813. In the schrade cut numbering system 8 denotes a three blade knife with two blades opening on one end and a third blade opening on the opposite end, 81 was the frame pattern, and 3 was for bone. The last number changed depending on the handle material. In 1946 the pattern number changed to 881 with the change over from schrade cut co to schrade walden. Around 1961 the old timer 8OT was introduced. Around 1970 the uncle henry 885UH was introduced. These are the three basic and most common variants one may find. Throughout its lifespan many variants on this old schrade cut frame were produced, for 78+ years until schrade closed. It was probably their most ubiquitous pattern.

I have enough variants to keep me posting here for a while, should anybody find it interesting. This pattern is one of my favorites and I could yack on and on about it.

IMG_4269_Original.JPG
IMG_4622_Original.JPG
IMG_4624_Original.JPG

Too bad about the broken spey tip on that last one. :( It has a neat etch though!

Nice bump up, Paul! Too bad so many pics got "bucketed!!:eek:
I will help populate this worthy thread!!:)
Schrade's rep out here on Vancouver island sold me this board before he passed away!
The upper right "Rancher" and lower left "Farmer" are based on the 8OT I believe!Display 2.jpg Display 1.JPG

Back