THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

This is the SAFE System II Kodiak Edition.
1aNAVFN.jpg

Sam :thumbsup:

Ah man, that's just awesome!

I’m in the market , so to speak, for a First Blood part 1 knife. I like it to be a exact copy of the movie knife. At the moment I’m waiting for a Greg Wall Robert Parrish style knife. If i’m happy with Greg’s build quality, the order for the Rambo knife most propably will go to Greg (I mostly tend to Andy Wood, but there’s a big price difference).But i do have a question for the experts; is the cordwrap of the movie knife black or green? I’ve been watching the knife scenes from the movie on YouTube, but just can’t tell if it is black or green.
Thanks in advance!

Just wrapping this one up, so just a cell phone pic. But here is the new M9 prototype. I will add more pics of the sheath and everything else soon. Feedback is welcome!

8SIi7fG.jpg

Thank you! I will have more pics coming this week.

Here are a few more of the SAFE System II Kodiak Edition. This knife system is designed to maximize actual useful functions, and be as small/light as possible.

In addition to the primary knife with sawback, it has a PSK knife for finer tasks, a steel plated aluminum buttcap, pouch on sheath with tin, and a ferro rod that threads into the buttcap for use as a handle while striking.

Hollow handle knives may not be everyone's first choice, but I have tried to make these very feature rich for those functionally minded. They are definitely made to be used! :D:thumbsup:

FKXIc0e.jpg

6AuULeH.jpg

65osWUL.jpg

1VdpgJJ.jpg

Thank you, Tom! Here is one of the M9 with sheath. Belt loop is still a little wet from finish being applied, but I'm very pleased with this one.

Prototypes are always a lot of work, so glad to be wrapping this one up. Now I can add it to the lineup, having made templates along the way. More to come this week. Thanks for looking!

9RrjMEz.jpg

Sam, the plunge and grind on the false edge is beautiful. What is blade thickness on this one?

Thank you, Tom. They're hand rubbed for that extra touch :cool:. Plus I thought a nice deep clip grind with a gentle upsweep would add to the aggressive look. This one has an 8" long blade, out of 1/4" stock.

Once I get all the photos taken (probably tomorrow) I will post up some more info here and probably post about it in C&H for reference. But feel free with any questions/critiques.

Reactions: TAH
Thank you, ilten! Here are a couple more pics. I will load the rest later. She's all done and shipped off, so now the separation anxiety sets in. :(

yDAe1A0.jpg

Th2cwYp.jpg

cExAm1S.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Randall Model 18 Question:

Been saving up and am looking to get the 7.5” model 18. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each of stainless vs carbon? I’ve had one on the past but was always afraid to use it...not this time, I plan on using it. Any other suggestions or warnings? Anyone make pre-made kits for the inside of the handles?

Thanks - shane

Randall Model 18 Question:

Been saving up and am looking to get the 7.5” model 18. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each of stainless vs carbon? I’ve had one on the past but was always afraid to use it...not this time, I plan on using it.
Plan on receiving a lot of different opinions. The basics are: stainless is less maintenance and carbon might be a little easier to sharpen and might hold an edge a little longer, but will discolor with use and rust without care. There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance under regular use.

Any other suggestions or warnings?
The teeth on the Model 18 can really tear up a leather sheath ir you're not careful and they're basically useless on wood. They're designed metal/aluminum. If you don't need sawteeth, the Model 18 can be ordered or found without them.

Anyone make pre-made kits for the inside of the handles?

I am not aware of any, but a little imagination and creativity will go a long way. Assembling your own custom kit to fit your needs and what is important to you is half the fun of owning a hollow handle knife.

Looking forward to seeing photos for your Model 18. You picked a good one! :thumbsup:

Plan on receiving a lot of different opinions. The basics are: stainless is less maintenance and carbon might be a little easier to sharpen and might hold an edge a little longer, but will discolor with use and rust without care. There's a good chance you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance under regular use.

The teeth on the Model 18 can really tear up a leather sheath ir you're not careful and they're basically useless on wood. They're designed metal/aluminum. If you don't need sawteeth, the Model 18 can be ordered or found without them.

I am not aware of any, but a little imagination and creativity will go a long way. Assembling your own custom kit to fit your needs and what is important to you is half the fun of owning a hollow handle knife.

Looking forward to seeing photos for your Model 18. You picked a good one! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the detailed response. I was not aware about the saw teeth. I would really like some that work well on wood. I may pass on the Randall.... Just signed up for Sam Wilson’s newsletter. Maybe one of those new M9’s will go up for sale.

One of Sam's knives would be a great choice if you're looking for a strong, practical HH knife that has been passionately designed and extensively tested to perform in the woods. I mean, who does pull-ups hanging on the handle of their HH knife. :D

Back