The humble little pen knife

Tray of 13 penknives (and one jackknife) that sits on my desk. I can easily pick one out when wearing dress slacks. OH
14-Pen-Knives.jpg
That's very classy!

At this point in my life, I believe I only own one pen knife (old Western). Peanut size tend to be the smallest I buy unless you want to consider a Vic Classic size a pen knife. The Western pen knife came out of my last pickup when I was doing some house cleaning. I don't recall buying it, so I suspect it was there when I bought it 18 years ago (used).

Here's some more Sheffield made Penknives, most of which were made either for factors, or as advertising knives, and so, while in some cases, I know who actually made them, the tang stamps merely indicate the city in which they were made :thumbsup:

Id8YMDY.jpg

NnY7liZ.jpg

ad2755f.jpg

yFeSbJ5.jpg

YlkqL4N.jpg

TapCMix.jpg

BlZ9Rtk.jpg

Y2BQpA7.jpg

G20eKd6.jpg

H48YlzI.jpg

Gs1xcte.jpg

ANHd6TK.jpg

Y2RFol6.jpg

MlVWG7U.jpg

as4eZyw.jpg

e0jKQIC.jpg

Whilst the definition of a Penknife might be elastic; non knife types :rolleyes: use the word to denote an old fashioned Traditional type of knife of any pattern; for me at least it's a blade at each end knife. Often single-spring, but not always and I don't think size need enter the equation. GEC's Churchill 35 is a bulky knife but it's EE and meets my promiscuous definition of Penknife:D same with the Possum Skinner. Muskrats maybe not as they evolved a name and niche for themselves over time. Moose too.

Here, CASE's Half Whittler which was formerly single spring but now comes as a two spring knife.

AkvEBFg.jpg
Those are dandy little pen knives. I just wish CASE did not let some marketing idiot call them 'half whittlers.' A 'half whittler' is obviously a physical impossibility (It only matters to a few of us excessively anal folk). Anyway... Nice knife!

Some European Penknives with little or no information on the tangs. The best of them were manufactured in Solingen between the World Wars, when a German tang-stamp was less attractive than one simply stamped 'Foreign'.

qscMXz7.jpg

FYMDOdB.jpg

cZAQ3oM.jpg

nF0Jssw.jpg

1XUxdrh.jpg

yJVAeAN.jpg

UdvRRb8.jpg

FSBCSw7.jpg

TsEkd6u.jpg

3zolWAw.jpg

zCcByL1.jpg

pF8oTEr.jpg

TcmPSd9.jpg

Let's see 'em.

I know there are loads of technicalities and such, but to me a pen knife is a smaller pocket knife with a blade on each end and usually one being smaller than the other.
More specifically the classic quintessential equal end is what I think of when I hear pen knife, but I love others as well that fall into the pen knife category.

I'll start this off with one of my all time favorite little pocket knives, because it was in my pocket and handy.

It just disappears in my pocket, punches way above it's weight, and the coping secondary blade is much handier than I ever imagined.

I love it! I have one in my collection too but carry some a little larger at times but it's usually a case peanut...that being said, I love the coping blade and wish they had offered that on the slightly larger Buck 309 Companion-similar to the Buck 305 Lancer but a wee-bit larger ...cheers!
yet the 309 gets lost in pocket as well and they are both very useful!!

Those are dandy little pen knives. I just wish CASE did not let some marketing idiot call them 'half whittlers.' A 'half whittler' is obviously a physical impossibility (It only matters to a few of us excessively anal folk). Anyway... Nice knife!

You are of course absolutely right :thumbsup: all manner of odd names crop up with marketing and some gain traction...GEC took aim at this with their humorous 57 Half-Whitt ;) The Forum Knife 2018 from Buck some attempted to call a Half Stockman, emasculated due to the omission of the gelding blade?:D right, CASE should have stuck with the Penknife name, after all, they have a very small square bolster one Quarter/Quadri Stockman? And the very nice torpedo shaped Eisenhower, which I THINK predated the president but took on his name as it was an alleged favourite of his?

3nK8cZG.jpg

Last edited:
Back