The J.A.C.K.

Were the jacks supposed to be individually numbered? I might be making that up but I can't see anything scribed anywhere. I'm still enjoying the knife and hope all of you who bought them are as well.

Just putting this out there. I have a J.A.C.K. in silver titanium, carbon fiber, and satin m390 blade. Love the knife, perfect centering with perfect action.....blade falls shut smooth. I'm taken back by the over built quality of this piece but I have found the weakest link in the chain which has me scratching my head. While inspecting my knife I noticed I could see all the screws engaging the threads on the inside of the knife from the handles and clip.........except one on the clip. I took the clip off and discovered that one of the screws for the clip is too short. One screw sits higher on the clip and this particular screw only engages one turn of threads into the titanium handle!........the other/lower screw engages about 3 turns. That screw is just barely engaging any threads. Both screws are the same length but one should have been longer. Only engaging one turn of threads is not good and bugs the mess out of me. One could argue the clip is secured with the other screw but.......the mill out area on the carbon fiber is shallow.......and the clip was made with 2 screws for a reason. I worry about the longevity of the clip on my/all Jack's as I feel this will be a failure point. I emailed REATE and got a response. The response said the screws are suppose to be the same length and to not worry about it.......the knife would be covered under warranty if any problems arose. Knowing that screw is way to short is bugging the you know what out of me................and if and when it does fail they could always claim the end user stripped the titanium in the handle........when in fact it was a flaw from getgo.........
I still LOVE my J.A.C.K. and feel reate makes the best production knives in the world.....opinion of coarse. That one screw is the only thing stopping this knife from being perfect.

Last edited:
Didn't they send extra hardware? Maybe not clip screws.. I don't know where my spare hardware bag is for my jack but i got a brand new pivot for my wave from the usa reate rep for like 5 bucks. Did you email him? Sure if you explain it's bothering you they'd send you the screw. It's a 450 knife and sheeit should be uniform at that price.

Didn't they send extra hardware? Maybe not clip screws.. I don't know where my spare hardware bag is for my jack but i got a brand new pivot for my wave from the usa reate rep for like 5 bucks. Did you email him? Sure if you explain it's bothering you they'd send you the screw. It's a 450 knife and sheeit should be uniform at that price.

Yeah I got extra screws.......but none longer than the screw that's already too short. I didn't mess up my knife or the screw..........just wish they had made that one screw a little longer. It literally just barely engages the threads in the frame.

Yeah I got extra screws.......but none longer than the screw that's already too short. I didn't mess up my knife or the screw..........just wish they had made that one screw a little longer. It literally just barely engages the threads in the frame.
I agree with Pogonasong - contact Reate and explain the problem and they will send out a set of screws.

I’ve had at least one customer contact them directly with a screw issue. Reate sent a complete set screws with one of our orders and we had to mail them to the customer. But normally they mail them directly to you.

Below is the response I got directly from Reate. It's not a bad response. According to this they dont have any longer screws. I'm guessing they make their own screws in house and maybe dont have longer dies for that particular ti screw. Again guessing.....they probably hydraulically press/form these screws. I still love the knife but man I will find a way to get a longer screw in there even if I have to take it to a machine shop. See below for response:

We'd love to send the longer clip screw to you if we had it.
But we are so sorry that we don't have the longer one.
All the clip screws are the same size which doesn't mean they don't strong enough.
Please don't worried about that. We can take care of any warranty if it has the problem.

I still Love Reate knives by the way.........and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I feel they make the best production knives in the world.......opinion of coarse.

How is the brass holding up? Scratches? I'm greasy so when I handle brass it tarnishes quickly.

I just got my J.A.C.K.

Overall I'm pretty excited, grabbed a bronze ano/CF model.

This is my first integral. I used a very bright light to closely examine the inside to check the machining prowess, which I heard was top notch. I found some flaws though, a bunch of chatter at the rear of the knife in the curved section and they didn't chamfer any of the bottoms of the screw holes and it looks like they nicked the "show side" near one of the holes as well.

Is this pretty normal or did I just not get a perfect example?

2uikhux.jpg

soppjn.jpg

Anyone else with bronze ano posting pics?

I was also surprised how understated that was on my knife compared to some of the pictures.

Anyone else with bronze ano posting pics?

I was also surprised how understated that was on my knife compared to some of the pictures.

It is always difficult to take good (realistic) looking pictures of anodized surfaces.

Back